Clear all

Clavinova Tone on Montage

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Tommy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

How would you go about recreating Yamaha's "Clavinova Tone" on a Montage Performance?
Harp + Fretless Bass?
Open to ideas & suggestions. 🙂

Posted : 08/02/2017 6:16 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It is difficult for me to find any reference of the sound featured on the net. I see references to it - but no real clear videos showcasing the "Clavinova Tone".

I'm sure it's not difficult to conjure up something - just not sure what to listen for yet.

Posted : 09/02/2017 8:58 am
Bad Mister

Hey Tommy,
Are you asking how to go about finding and layering these two sounds? This can be a good exercise and help "jump start" the learning curve.

What you can do (we'll provide a step-by-step below) is start with an Initialized Performance... then search and select a first Part, then add a second Part. Then you can begin tweaking them into a playable layered Performance...

Start with an initialized Part.
From the PERFORMANCE (HOME) screen
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Select "Init"
Select "INIT Normal (AWM2)"

Press [ENTER] to return to the main HOME screen.

This sets up a Single Part with an initialized Waveform assigned (0001)... this default happens to be an acoustic piano Waveform with an immediate attack, full Sustain, immediate release. What we'll do is replace this with a Harp program from Montage's extensive Library of instruments.

In the screen touch the TYPE/Name box for Part 1, a pop-in menu will appear touch "SEARCH"

The "Part 1 - Category Search" screen will appear
Set the BANK to "Preset"
Set the ATTRIBUTE to "Single"
If you touch the box with the magnifying glass you can type in the letters "harp" to view sounds with those letters in the name
Set Main to "All"

You should receive about a page and a half of results... move the cursor to highlight and Audition each as you desire. When you decide on one, press [ENTER] to return to the main screen

Next we'll literally "+" add a new Part, search for the second tone... you can "audition" candidate sounds while searching.
Press the "+" ADD symbol to Category Search for your second sound. Don't limit yourself to just fretless basses, remember in the Clavinova they needed to be creative by pulling together two rather bread&butter sounds to build a unique tone... you literally have hundreds of choice.

You may want to take the time to read through the short article on MONTAGE: Using Category Search, as this becomes an important skill in navigating the Montage. It will cover the three main types of sound Searches.. and explain that Blue listings are Multiple Parts, and Green are Single Parts.

As you begin to try new sounds for Part 2...In the lower left corner, you have Mute options: it is possible to MUTE the ORG (original) letting you listen to only the sound you are ADDing, or you can MUTE the ADD, letting you hear just your original tone.

Once you have layered these two Parts you can begin to tweak and make them work together. Take your time.

Hope that gets you started, even if it does not get you close to the original "Clavinova Tone".

Posted : 09/02/2017 2:31 pm
david
Reputable Member

After your Clav creation is completed to your satisfaction would you be willing to share it with everyone? 🙂

Posted : 09/02/2017 9:46 pm
Tommy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks so much Phil. I will Initialize a Performance and embark with your directions on our hunt for the Clavinova sound (and share it if I get anything interesting) after a 'food consultation' with David C, a bass player whom I bet you know from back in the day.
My first impression of this Montage (yes I found a place for it in my hovel, and yes, the s70xs is acting just a little jealous...)
Well the Montage is reminding me of a really together girl you meet at the library and first you're attracted to her mind, but then after a few days of 'programming' 😉 you find you can't find the time to sleep because you're always thinking about her. Oh well, sorry for that tangent.

My interpretation of the website is that I can install the Firmware 1.50 update right over what I have in mine now, 1.10.4? I will make sure not to interrupt the power supply during that.

Then comes the hunt for a Bosendorfer. I think the promotion ran out on me.
But the Montage ain't running nowhere. It's SO heavy! although I kind of lifted it onto the stand solo! Heavy the OTHER way!
Lovin it.

Thanks, Yamaha, and Mr. Bad.:)

Posted : 09/02/2017 11:53 pm
Bad Mister

Yes, update your firmware to version 1.50
The Bosendorfer Promotion was extended through March 31, 2017 (at least here in the USA). Update the instrument first, then install the Bosendorfer... here's the link:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/montage/library/

Posted : 10/02/2017 3:00 am
Tommy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Bad Mister - got it installed (after updating.) Now I'm trying to figure out where the ninth drawbar control slider is hiding in the All Nine Drawbars! Performance!
Sleep is a thing of the past.

Posted : 10/02/2017 4:42 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Tommy wrote:

Thanks, Bad Mister - got it installed (after updating.) Now I'm trying to figure out where the ninth drawbar control slider is hiding in the All Nine Drawbars! Performance!
Sleep is a thing of the past.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/draw-bars-on-faders
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/organ-sounds

It's worthwhile to realize the different modes that the faders and knobs can assume, how to actuate the modes, and for your favorite performances - how these are "mapped" within these performances.

There is no reference manual for how the controls have been programmed - so it's your responsibility to explore the settings which comes easier once you get a grasp of the basics.

By the way - finally found something that says it's the "Clavinova Tone"

https://youtu.be/avVpGiN4UNM?t=139

Not sure if that's what you're looking for in terms of the sound. My understanding is that different models/generations of the Clavinova have a different character to the sound they assign to "Clavinova Tone". The one in the youtube video should be very easy to replicate given how "FM" it sounds and how there's already probably a preset that's close to that sound.

Posted : 10/02/2017 5:54 am
Tommy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks so much Jason. I had forgotten about Parts 9-16!!!
Now, after having read with great interest the thread you linked to above, where you go into detail re: the different (physical) controller assignments in that organ Performance (All 9 Drawbars) - and with the 1.50 Firmware upgrade installed, I think I'm good to go (with continued ongoing reference to your post(s) there until that's all second nature for me.)

Posted : 10/02/2017 2:27 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us