Clear all

Click Track

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jim
 Jim
Topic starter

I need the ability to feed our drummer a click track coming from the montage so I dug in a bit to see if I could get this done. Here is what I need:

1) Send the click on a separate out. (Yep, this can be done)
2) Based on the performance set the tempo in the performance so that as I progress through the setlist we have the correct tempos (Yep, this can be done)
3) Start and stop the click as needed (Nope, doesn't seem like this can be done)

So #3 didn't pass because it looks like there are only 3 options for starting the click
1) When record is started
2) When play/record is started
3) Always

The problem is that there isn't a dedicated Metronome/Click button so it seems the only way to get a click sent out is to either have it always on (not desirable) or to have a pre-recorded song so that you can hit play and have the click sound. Am I missing something, is there really no other way to trigger the click start without the need for a song or having it always on?

One thing is for sure, the Montage performances are heavily arp/motion sequence dependent and produce some awesome sounds, but to use them in a live situation the montage midi clock needs to be in-sync with the drummer so I can see a huge need to have the drummer playing to a click.

Posted : 17/05/2016 3:45 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for the question. Having the click output available at the Assignable Ouputs, would be useful for recording situations. Where there is "pre-roll" time and you don't need such tight control over starting and stopping the running of the 'click' as you would in a "live" performance.

I would use an Arpeggiator to generate a timing reference (metronome) for this, since the starting and stopping of the arpeggio can be linked to when the keyboardist begins playing. It is more interactive with your music, and (IMHO) offers a much more musical tempo reference that a cold click-click-click. I've found that with a click difficulty arises because if you are waiting, you're late, if you anticipate, you're early. Even with an accent on the downbeat, it is possible for the band to be in tempo but off by one beat somewhere within the song. The click offers little musical feel.

However, the Arpeggiator is capable of triggering a complex rhythmic pattern (that varies across 2, 4 or 8 measures) that not only is easy to play with but gives a sense of where you are within the count at all times. Through experience, I've found working with the drummer to find an appropriate groove or instrument sound they prefer to interact with is essential - they feel less pressure if it is a rhythmic pattern that is fun to play with rather than a click they have to fight; then feed just that rhythmic part to the Assignable Output for the drummer to monitor. (It works because you let the drummer pick the timing reference... Also when it is overheard by those in the front row, it's musical not a click-click-click. You can even adjust the feel (swing quantize) of the selected arp.

Using the arpeggio to act as your reference means when you count off and play begins on the beat (the Super Knob references the stored tempo). You can even program a silent key to trigger the arp when the keyboard doesn't come in on the first downbeat. You can select a Part to be assigned to the arpeggio, that Part (or just the drum keys you use) can be routed discreetly to the Assignable Output. When you wish to STOP the arp you can simply hit the a Transport Stop or the Arp On/Off button.

The Click is a utility.
The Arp is a musical tool.

Posted : 17/05/2016 7:28 pm
Jim
 Jim
Topic starter

Thanks BM, good ideas here, I will see what I can come up with.

Posted : 17/05/2016 8:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us