Notifications
Clear all

Create Roll. Example please.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Topic starter

Can you give an example of how to use “Create Roll” in Montage V3.0? I read about it but can’t seem to get it to work properly. Also, a video example would be great.

Posted : 12/12/2019 3:13 am
Bad Mister

Link to tutorial: The Create Roll Job

The example is creating a roll at measure 009 beat 4 clock 000 that inserts note data, on the note “D1”, through to the top of measure 10.

Additional Background:
Allows you to create repeated notes - creating a ‘press roll’ on the snare drum. In the tutorial example note “D1” is typically the snare drum in a Drum Kit Part. The example creates a roll that not only gets louder but slows down as it reaches the end.
The MONTAGE divides every quarter note into 480 clock pulses. Measure 001; Beat 1; Clock 000 would be the downbeat to start measure 1.

240 clocks = an eighth note
120 clocks = a sixteenth note
60 clocks = a thirty-second note
30 clocks = a sixty-fourth note
15 clocks = a one hundred twenty-eighth note (you never want to see that on a chart)

Timing and counting Clock pulses works in a similar fashion to Seconds on a standard Clock. If all hands straight up is 00 sec, with 60 seconds to a minute... a minute is reached when the second hand reaches 00 again. Although there are 60 seconds, you never see the number 60 concerning seconds. Although there are 480 clock pulses in a Beat, you will never see the number 480... this is because the very first second/clock is 0. (Start the country with 0...If you watch soccer ‘football’, you know when the clock shows 44:00 you are in the 45th minute, the last minute in the half).

Seconds once the 59th second is complete you’re back to the top, 0
Clock Pulses once the 479th is complete you’re back to the top, 000

Measure 1: Beat 1: Clock 000 ___ to ___ Measure 2: Beat 1: Clock 000 is one complete Measure

Measure 1: Beat 1: Clock 000 ___ to ___ Measure 1: Beat 4: Clock 479 is one clock tick short of one complete Measure

Extra Credit:
When you Log-in if you click on the LEARN option, you will be taken to the wealth of Link to tutorials and articles on the various MONTAGE/MODX routines — Often the tutorial provide step-by-step routines designed to help you understand and use what’s on offer. Each is an example to get you into using the technology. They assume you are making the settings and hearing the changes (you can watch someone else do it, if there’s a video), but often a better way to learn your synth is actually making the settings and hearing the results. Try a few...

Then once you get the basics you can feel free to expand with your own experiments.

Posted : 12/12/2019 11:18 am
 Gary
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister!
You are the master! I’ve learned a lot from watching all of your videos. They are great! This was very first Montage forum question. I wish you would do a video on drums as I am a keyboard and guitar player and drums do not come easy for me, especially programming them.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. However, the “tutorial” and “learn” links all go back to the basic explanation of Drum Roll with no step by step examples that I can see.

I still need a step by step example of all settings (ie., start/end measure, step, velocity). And, after “execute” and hitting Play of my drum recording, do I hit a key then to activate the Roll or what? Not sure exactly what to do to hear the drum roll.
Thanks!
Gary

Posted : 12/12/2019 5:07 pm
Bad Mister

Link to tutorial: The Create Roll Job

Did you look at this? Refer to this for parameter descriptions... below is an example of how to generate a drum roll in context of a groove.

Try this experiment
Record a basic drum groove... 4 measures. Just a simple backbeat, kick and snare.
Hit the snare on beats 2 and 4 in each measure...
Now say we want to create a snare drum roll that goes from Measure 4: Beat 4 to the end of the Scene. Here's a step-by-step on how to accomplish this...

Call up a Drum Kit in PART 1

Press the RECORD button to activate a NEW PATTERN
Record your basic Drum groove. Use QUANTIZE if you wish...

Once you have your four measures repeating. STOP
It does not have to be anything spectacular - KICK on 1 and 3 - SNARE on 2 and 4. simple....

Touch "EDIT/JOB" > "Note" > "Roll"

Setup the screen as follows:

We will take the snare drum on “D1” and create a roll that gets louder (Velocity increases from 1 to 127) and more distance between strokes (45 and widening to 60 clocks).

Playback your creation.
If you do not like it, you can UNDO it by going to 'EDIT/JOB" > "OVERVIEW" > tap "Undo Note Create Roll"

Try a different setting. This is very much a “trial and error” thing.

This will write the data into the track - Create Roll - creates new MIDI data -- we targeted the SNARE drum we know was on “D1”. At Measure 4 we have the drums do a little ruff going back to the top. We created multiple drum strokes that get louder and slow down as they get louder. You can create a roll with any KEY (sound)... Drum Kits have different drum or percussion instruments on each of the 73 Keys between C0 and C6

If the START STEP = END STEP you wind up with a roll of even strokes
If also the START VELOCITY = END VELOCITY you wind up with a machine gun

Posted : 12/12/2019 5:57 pm
 Gary
Topic starter

Thank you SO much!! I just needed this simple example to get me started!

Now my experimenting with many rolls (and fills) begins.

Thank you again for your patience and help!!!

Posted : 12/12/2019 10:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us