Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cubase and Montage - Muffled Sound when recalling instruments back.

17 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

Well, while a picture is often worth a thousand words, - here, hearing this would answer all your questions... there is lots of controller data recorded to these tracks. There is Super Knob movement, going on.

It may take some time for you to understand about editing the Super Knob data ... I don't edit the MIDI SysEx data - if I want to change how the Super Knob is altering the track (correct it or tweak it) I edit the synthesizer. The Super Knob in the screenshot of Cubase I showed you is altering the Volume in Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. It is morphing the Volume of the string orchestra to the solo strings in PART 7
Part 1 = 1st violins
Part 2 = 2nd violins
Part 3 = violas
Part 4 = cellos
Part 5 = contrabasses
Part 7 = solo violin/solo viola/solo cello

If I wanted to have the cellos fade out and back in differently than the violas and violins, I would edit the response of the Cello Part, Part 4. It has an adjustable response Curve... I can make it respond differently versus the other Parts to the same Super Knob movement!

The SysEx Track has captured the Super Knob movement. If I made a mistake in my Super Knob movement, I can redo just the Super Knob movement, by overdubbing just the SysEx Track or I can adjust how the parts are responding to the movement I recorded.

If you recorded MW for example, it would appear on each of the 7 MIDI Tracks, each of the PARTS could be adjusted as to how it responds to that MW, I would not have to necessarily redo the MW, I could, but I could simply adjust how a particular Part is responding to MW movement.

Suggestion - start recording something and playing it back. While it looks like the same thing is recorded to each track, when you solo the different Tracks you will hear that the first and second violins are only mapped to the keyboard to cover a specific range (the lowest notes on a violin are G2), the violas have a specific range (lowest note is C2), the cello a different range (down to C1), the contra bass a different range.

Try the following: With the setup above -- record the AUDITION Phrase to Cubase... when you play it back isolate different combinations of Track...
For example, if you solo MIDI Track 1, MIDI Track 2, MIDI Track 7 and MIDI Track SysEx, you will hear how the 1st and 2nd violins morph into the solo strings.
Try soloing different individual tracks and you will see... while their data looks identical... there results are not - Each Part responds differently.

take your time... The data appears the same on each track, the synth Parts each respond to that data differently... and that is what you edit... how they respond.

Alternate methods exist, you can have the Super Knob Output a CC (Control Change) number... if you would rather draw the movement, the old way, nothing wrong with that, but since Super Knob movement is generated by moving an FC7 pedal linked to the Super Knob, redoing it by hand or by foot is also a possibility. Cubase allows you to apply and work with controller data in many ways... you can isolate them to their own Track... for example, if you set your Super Knob to Output cc95, that data will appear on MIDI Track 1, you can use the draw tool to change how you moved it... or you can simply delete the original data, and create new data.

I suggest you record the Audition Phrase... and experiment! That will answer most of your questions. Have fun!

Posted : 08/09/2019 6:02 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Got it. I think I myself experimented and figured it out. Thanks for the response. If I have any other questions, I will let you know. Thanks Phil!

Posted : 08/09/2019 7:14 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us