Notifications
Clear all

Data List doc isn't complete

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The initial version of the Data List doc has two sections, 'MIDI Data Table' and 'MIDI Implementation Chart', that are just placeholders with the only text 'To Be Announced'. So we will have to wait for those.

Ops doc specifies no keyboard control for parts 9-16 on page 134

Switches Keyboard Control on or off.
For Parts 9 to 16, the buttons will not be shown since Keyboard Control cannot be set to On for
those Parts.
Settings: Off, On

You can set the maximum number of elements to ue from 8-128 - p.258

For me the images are very difficult to read clearly with the black background. Many of them seem blurry even when enlarged.

Posted : 10/10/2023 2:48 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I noticed lots of typos and bad cut/paste in the docs.

Yeah, the meat of the data list is still TBD. That gives Melas and others a leg up who get (I assume) advance information.

Posted : 10/10/2023 6:35 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Looks like there's active cooling (a fan) in the M. I imagine this is part of what makes the screen snappier or maybe a byproduct of AN-X number crunching. You'd always prefer to stick with passive cooling but more than this you'd want the components to stay below Tc(max). Hopefully there aren't too many conditions where you would hear the fan.

I'm going by the error message list.

Posted : 10/10/2023 8:15 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are improvements for touchscreen adverse folks (like me) wrt buttons or knobs that allow for you to skip the touchscreen.

Colors and shapes are subjective and personal. Now we know how you feel about those things.

Posted : 10/10/2023 6:13 pm
Eminent Member

I personally find the UI (physical controls, logic and even graphics) absolutely incredible. There's so much direct control and real-time visual feedback. Add the flexibility on organizing what you want to keep displayed and where. The screens also seem instant to react.

I won't lie, I am certainly not happy with how little went on the internal sequencer, I almost sense and active effort to keep it unusable. It's easily one of the most voted requests on Ideascale ever since the release of the original Montage and probably one of the main drivers to competing products. As much as that hurts, the navigation and controls of the internal engines of this synth are just overwhelming, and in a good way. Truly amazing job Yamaha.

Posted : 10/10/2023 7:04 pm
 Paul

[quotePost id=123587]I noticed lots of typos and bad cut/paste in the docs.

Yeah, the meat of the data list is still TBD. That gives Melas and others a leg up who get (I assume) advance information.
[/quotePost]

Hi Jason --

Yep, caught that myself. I wonder how much is left to do? PAT for M6 and M7? MPE?

Has anyone seen or heard anything definitive about MIDI 2.0 support? I'm still plowing through docs and videos -- kind of a crude, inefficient way to tease out information... 🙁

Best to everyone -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-montage-m8x-initial-take/

Posted : 10/10/2023 10:30 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Has anyone seen or heard anything definitive about MIDI 2.0 support? I

I was hoping to get clues about that from those missing Data List doc
sections - 'MIDI Data Table' and 'MIDI Implementation Chart',

Posted : 10/10/2023 11:12 pm
Reputable Member

When MIDI 2.0 was announced to be in development I was about to buy my first synth.

I came to this forum announcing the good news for everyone to rejoice and confronted the fact of being told we wouldn't see it implemented for the next fifty? years.

It was 2019...

https://techreport.com/news/after-36-years-midi-is-finally-moving-to-2-0/

The MIDI Association is currently working on the following MIDI-CI Profiles that are targeted to finished in 2023.

Piano Profile

Drawbar Organ Profile

MPE Profile

Camera Control Profile

Orchestral Articulation Note On/Off Profile

GM 16 Channel Profile

GM Single Channel Profile

https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/what-musicians-and-artists-need-to-know-about-midi-2-0

????
????

Posted : 10/10/2023 11:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not that they couldn't do the math internally but identical FM-X and scaled (as in taking something to scale) but not fundamentally changed AWM2 (not to diminish the 128 elements per Part, which is a big deal in it's own right) means to me that neither AWM2 nor FM-X have been optimized for MIDI 2.0. That's just a wild guess looking at all of the 7-bit AWM2 values and 0-99 FM-X values

AWM2 and FM-X "had" to be compatible with Montage while AN-X had free reign to come out of the shoot with a MIDI 2.0 ready chassis.

Not sure what this means exactly, though. If the curtain gets pulled back and M2.0 is behind or not. More info to come.

Going on a tangent: saw the Bonner's talk with Michael Patrick. If I had a dollar every time either the previous gen was misrepresented or when the wrong detail about the new keyboard was given then I'd almost be able to afford a Montage M7.

Posted : 11/10/2023 2:02 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us