Clear all

Disappointment from 2.5 update

27 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm very disappointed from 2.5 update.
There is some very big limit that yamaha still don't care. For example passing from one performance to other the expression and sustain value are resetted. This mean for example that if in performance A I've expression with low value, going to performance B introduce a big volume gap and this is very noisy.
My old keyboard like fantom G, NS2, jupiter 80, integra 8, NE5 didn't have this kind of limit.
Yamaha still fit new 512 program (all with battery....if I need arranger I don't look for montage....I don't need battery....I need sound!!!)
Other users frequently request like midi IN implementatio or development of scene are still missing from montage update....
Yamaha please fix big "lacuna" and listen your users!!!

Posted : 04/08/2018 7:16 am
Jeroen
Eminent Member

I am also disappointed.

I am waiting for 2.5 years now on the fix of the midi in (setting the receive channel of each part).

Single mode is not an option for me, because then I cannot use my Montage 6 as a Midi-Controller anymore.

Posted : 04/08/2018 8:01 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes that's it!
More.....the loosign possibility to change part pitch more than 24 semitone....
I don't need new jd or arranger programs....I need sound and feauture!
Yamaha wake up!

One more things on this site.....al time it is necessary to log in and to solve a rebus to post somethings....
It is very not confortable....it seams that yamaha like to put users in difficut to use the forum!!!

Posted : 04/08/2018 8:11 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi Andrea.
I do not need to log on the site each time i come, its automatic for me.
I do not need to solve a rebus to post, just to check the box "i'm not a robot", im using chrome.

Do you have test the midi setting "Hold" for controllers when you pass from one performance to one other, it's work for sustain ?

Posted : 04/08/2018 8:43 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Changing how MIDI input channels are assigned is not a "fix" but an enhancement request. The design is not "broken" - just not as flexible as some other keyboards previously mentioned with 16 available "slots" each individually assignable to input MIDI channels (Korg, Kurzweil, etc).

I'd like the same enhancement - but infer lack of movement is likely due to deeper design architecture that is not easily changed.

Posted : 04/08/2018 9:56 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi Joel I'm using chrome too but it ask any time on my tablet and smatphone.
And yes I use hold midi function but sustain doesn't work.
So what?

Posted : 04/08/2018 6:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I believe what you're running into with sustain is SSS enabled vs. SSS defeated. If you are using no PARTs 9-16, then sustain should stay held through a Performance change. I'm not sure that the sustain controller is being reset as much as the elements are being reset (loaded) when sustain does not carry though. Montage does not re-trigger notes through a Performance change - so any new elements will not sound regardless of the sustain pedal state since there was no trigger to start the note.

On a different note ...

Although you may not use a DAW - or may have some other device integrated into your setup which handles transport controls - many have been missing the integrated transport controls that were once available even with "lesser" (less fully featured) keyboards in the product line. The push to marry computers with Montage (computer for sequencer, computer for sampler, etc) was an incomplete story without the transport control chapter. This is a big piece that has finally made it into Montage's feature set. Even if you don't use this feature - it's a big deal. Not a light lift tweak - but several new menus - new modes - new supplemental support (templates for some DAWs). The solution may or may not be "perfect" -- I think it will take some time for users to connect the "how to" dots before we can say there are any missing pieces - but the fact that this hole is finally filled is quite a major step in the evolution of Montage.

With this major piece off the plate (in terms of exiting or not) - some amount of engineering resources are available to tackle the next effort. Who knows what that will be - maybe it will be exactly what you've been waiting for - maybe not. It took a couple years to get transport controls.

The steady development and regular updates of Montage is not something to meet with despair. Even if you didn't get the list of features you've asked for - you did get progress. Progress defined as engineering effort to better the instrument. Someday Montage will be a ghost town with no resources to update. Some of development is fueled by excitement (and somewhat squelched by despair/dissatisfaction).

The positive spin might be: "Great to see the continued effort to improve Montage. Now that we have transport controls largely cleared off the table - what might the next improvements be? May I suggest: xx, yy, zz? "

Thanks for indulging.

Posted : 04/08/2018 8:12 pm
Eminent Member

The problem is that Yamaha Corp. is determined to tell musicians "what music is" and "how they have to do it".

It is really strange that this happens but that is the real reason why some highly claimed updates are never made.

The musicians, according to Yamaha and "their preachers", are now an obsolete category called "Old School", and we are this because of to intend to make music in the terms in which musicians understand music: as an ART because we are artists.

The recent decisions of the MIDI Manufactures Association about the "future" evolution of the MIDI protocol make it clear that the industry no longer thinks of musicians as its main focus of interest.

Now the DJs, the self-styled "producers", the illiteracy of the world of Rap and Hip Hop, that Latin abomination called "reggaetton" and the amateurs without musical formation are the main interest of Yamaha, as well as in the field of construction of concert pianos its main recipients are not the concert artists but the millionaires who buy CXF pianos to decorate the living room of their mansions.

It's real but sad to see a Yamaha company very different from the one I worked with in the 80s.

Posted : 04/08/2018 9:41 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Like Jason write and after done some test at home, if you have up to 8 part on each performance from 1 to 8, sustain work (from montage or master keyboard) If you have 9 or more parts in the performance or some parts from 9 to 16, it does not work, from montage or master keyboard. It's link to the SSS, no SSS and no sustain when you use more to 8 parts or use parts from 9 to 16.

No need to be on setting Hold to have the sustain working in performance change, you need to have 8 parts maximum from 1 to 8.

For expression, it work only if the pedal is connected to the montage with the setting "Hold", if you use a FC controller connect to your master keyboard, even with "Hold" , the expression change when you change performance. the Motif XF my master keyboard he's on "Hold" too in he's settings and if the pedal is connected to the XF, expression is come back to the maximum at each performance change.

Posted : 04/08/2018 9:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... the PART usage for SSS defeat apply to both the initial and new Performance through a switch of Performances. Neither the old nor new Performance can use PARTs 9-16 or SSS will be defeated.

I've been through at least twice my general management techniques to work within this system. I have yet to find a transition I could not adjust my programming and playing to while still achieving the original goal.

Posted : 05/08/2018 3:24 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I use only program with Sss max 8 parts and it doesn't work. Sustain drop passing through one yamaha preset piano to other yamaha preset piano!!!!
You don't undesteand. I don't mean that sustain of old performance drop when change from old to new performance, I tell than when I'm in old performance with sustain pressed and switch to new one keep pressing sustain pedal, the new performance doesn't feel sustain pressed so I have to take of and press again sustain to obtain damper effect. This happen in montage and no in most of the gear that I had.

Posted : 05/08/2018 4:47 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Joel as I said other software device connected to my master doesn't change expression passing through one program to other so montage is the problem and not my master (rd2000).
If someone have rd2000 and other hardwere different from montage maybe can test it and give us a feedback
The forum page keep asking Captcha anytime and I use android tablet with chrome browser

Posted : 05/08/2018 4:59 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Today I've tested sustain pedal yamaha FC3A directly connected to Montage and if I'm in a preset performance CFX Concert and i press sustain, if I switch to next performance CFX Stage keep pressing sustain the sustain doesn't act on a new CFX Stage sound. So as I said a lot of time this function doesn't work. In my opinion yamaha should fix this gap with other costructor or improove midi functionality before loosing time to fill montage of insensate DJ performance with only battery that should stay on genos and not in montage.

P.S. Maybe the Captcha keep ask me because I'm critic with montage :--)

Posted : 05/08/2018 7:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I know what you mean about the sustain pedal. I think I complained about that one a while back - and the subject came up later in this message:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/is-it-possible-to-carry-the-sustain-on-to-the-next-patch-while-switching-patches

Yamaha should be aware of this issue. The management recommendation that I use myself continues to be to place multiple instruments into one Performance and use a switching technique inside a single Performance instead of switching Performances.

A Korg arranger I have acts the same way (requires a transition on sustain off-to-on before the new "program" or "style" recognizes the sustain pedal is pressed. If I leave my foot on the sustain pedal then switch program/style - the fact that the pedal is pressed is ignored by the new program/style). Not that this matters - you'll likely find equipment out there that behaves "better" and will treat the sustain pedal as pressed even without another edge after the voice/timbre/program/performance/voice/patch switch.

There may be situations where you want the new Performance to ignore the sustain pedal without having to turn off sustain completely for the new Performance's PARTs. So this transition behavior would be best if configurable on a Performance-by-performance basis.

Posted : 05/08/2018 8:14 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

One of the true few revolution that yamaha introduce with montage is scene.
A lot of request from users are done jet from first montage relese but no one news i function of this feuture are happen.
Thats's one of other things with midi in implementation that are most requested. Please stop to fill montage with "tuzzi tuzzi" dj sound

Posted : 05/08/2018 9:26 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us