Clear all

Drum Arp timing when switching scenes

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

With the ARP HOLD (Orange switch) switched to 'ON', when I switch from my current scene 1 (a piano but no drums) to my scene two (piano + drums) my drum arp part commences immediately but what I really want ideally is for the drums to commence ONLY when I press a key down.

My current 'work around' is to have ARP 'ON (Blue) rather than ARP HOLD (Orange) but the downside here is that I always need to have the keys pressed down or else the drums stop.

Is there a workable solution here please?

Posted : 16/12/2022 7:09 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If your first scene say has the Drum Part using Arp #1 as "Mute 4/4" and the second scene has the arpeggio for your drums, maybe change Arp #1 to "none" instead.

Otherwise, you could decouple the drums from scenes by setting up a single key - say the bottom key - as the trigger key for drums then after switching to your second scene you could start the drums later by pressing this trigger note.

Posted : 16/12/2022 9:02 pm
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

OK..Thanks Jason

I successfully used your 'Otherwise...' option

For my ongoing Montage education, can you just tell me where to find these 'Mute 4/4 or 'None' settings as I'm yet to spot them?

Thanks

Posted : 19/12/2022 5:13 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Under Part edit and editing "common Part" - not an element or operator: "Arpeggio"->"Individual" menu. This shows all of the Arpeggio names for Arpeggio 1-8 in a table. This is where you can most easily change the Arpeggios used.

When I tested this I first loaded "DJ Montage" because I know it already has scenes without drums then starts the drums when you select the right scene button.

When I edited the drum Part's Individual Arpeggio list - I saw that Arpeggios 1 and 2 were "Mute 4/4". If I struck any key then "Mute 4/4" says to start the arpeggio but run it silently with no note outputs. Scene 1 uses arpeggio 1 and Scene 2 uses arpeggio 2. If I struck keys the bass and other instrument arpeggios would start and switching to scene 1 or scene 2 would not start the drums. Then switching to scene 3 would start the drums even without a key pressed. This is because the arpeggio for drums technically started while scene 1 (the original scene) was selected and I pressed a key. In order to prevent this from happening, I changed "Mute 4/4" or arpeggio 1 and 2 to "None" (if you use arpeggio by number, you can enter number 0 for "None" -- or maybe it's called "Off" ). And now when switching from scene 1 or scene 2 to scene 3 the drums would not start automatically until I pressed a piano key after changing to scene 3.

Posted : 19/12/2022 6:23 am
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Interesting Jason...so I've now used this method... however a quick added question on this if I may:

I'm wondering does it work the same in reverse ...so if you want to say switch from Scene 2 back to your scene 1...i.e you are looking to 'pause' the drums but keep playing with your scene 1 instruments?

When I tried this, the scene 2 drums DID stop when I went back to scene 1 but they seemed to take a second of so to do so?

Posted : 20/12/2022 10:52 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Generally the arpeggio would be set to change on a measure - which is why there was the pause -- waiting for the top of the measure before cutting the drums off. I believe using "realtime" instead of "measure" will more immediately stop the drums if that's what you want.

Posted : 20/12/2022 5:41 pm
Colin
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks 🙂

Posted : 21/12/2022 4:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us