Notifications
Clear all

Drum help for dummies

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to start with a Montage drum kit and then make edits: change kick drum, change kick EQ only (not whole kit).

I have a learning disability. I have watched several videos and gone thu the manual and I'm stuck.

I am trying to build kits to play and record triggerng Montage drum sounds from my jYamaha DT Xpress drum kit.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posted : 04/05/2018 3:38 pm
Bad Mister

Make sure you have the pdf MONTAGE Reference Manual, as it will be helpful in explaining how the different DrumKit KEY parameters work. You can build a drum kit from scratch, but it is probably a whole lot easier to edit one of the existing Drum Kits - pick one that contains some of the sounds you like, then substitute the drum sounds you want on a per Key basis.

A Drum Kit contains 73 AWM2 Elements, one per Key, C0~C6. You can, when editing a drum kit, select a Key and assign a Waveform to that Key. You can freely assign any drum to any kit, you can even Copy or Exchange drum Keys.

Reference Manual (page 126)
This is where the Drum Kit “Key Edit” is explained.
Call up the Drum Kit you want to work with
Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT ‘x’] where ‘x’ is the Part containing the drum Kit
On the bottom line of the screen touch “Drum Key”
You navigate to KEYS by activating the “Key Select” option in the screen (green = active), then touching the Keyboard will recall a Key’s parameters

Touch “Osc/Tune” this is where you can search/change the Drum Waveform identified at the top of the screen.

Posted : 04/05/2018 10:21 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

Thanks so much for the detailed help. I will follow in detail tomorrow.

Blessings Phil

Posted : 05/05/2018 12:11 am
Topic starter

Hey Bad Mister,

Thanks to your help I made a bit of progress.

I followed your directions:
Press [EDIT]
You navigate to KEYS by activating the “Key Select” option in the screen (green = active), then touching the Keyboard will recall a Key’s parameters
Touch “Osc/Tune” this is where you can search/change the Drum Waveform identified at the top of the screen.

I called up a kit, pressed [EDIT] and nothing happens.

Here's what I was able to do:
1) Category search 2) Drum/Perc. 3) Select a kit. 4) Enter 5) Edit. 6) Control. 7) Edit Part 1 Control Settings. 8) Drum Key. 9) select instrument Ex: BD. 10) (top right) Name. 11) Category search. 12) Choose a drum. 13) Enter. 14) Store as New Performance

Not sure if there is a more effective way or if I misunderstood anything, but I was very happy to be able to start with a good kit, then replace the Kick drum and adjust volume level to make a custom kit.

My next goal is to figure how to load my one shot drum samples to build jcustom kits with the Montage drums and my samples.

Thanks Very Much Phil!!

Posted : 12/05/2018 3:58 pm
Bad Mister

Press [EDIT]

Touch the box that says “New Waveform”
This will let you Load your .wav data to the currently selected Key.
When a USER WAVEFORM is assigned to a Key you will see an “EDIT WAVEFORM” box appear that drops you into the Waveform area of MONTAGE.

Posted : 12/05/2018 4:15 pm
Topic starter

Excellent.

Thank You Brother!

Posted : 12/05/2018 7:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us