Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Dumb question

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

So i customized my user bank, 5 pages of all my favorites. My question is when i am compiling a live set and trying to add another instrument is there a way to search from my already customized 5 pages i made in user bank? Or do i have to go to category search every time and remember the specific sounds by name? It's actually the only thing that is annoying me about the montage.

Posted : 04/06/2017 6:20 pm
Bad Mister

patrick wrote:

So i customized my user bank, 5 pages of all my favorites. My question is when i am compiling a live set and trying to add another instrument is there a way to search from my already customized 5 pages i made in user bank? Or do i have to go to category search every time and remember the specific sounds by name? It's actually the only thing that is annoying me about the montage.

If that's all then let's explain how you do this...

If and when you only want to view YOUR Performances what you do is refine the SEARCH so that all it shows are your User Performances.
From the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen:
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Touch the "BANK/FAVORITE" box
Select "USER"

You will now be looking at only pages of your Performances. You can look at them in the Default order they are listed, alphabetically by Name, or by Date.

Posted : 04/06/2017 7:47 pm
Topic starter

Hmm, i dont know how to articulate this but that didnt work. To be more specific under bank user 1, I have 5 live set pages. When i hit user in search its taking me to a handful of performances i stored but not my 5 pages of sounds i have curated.

Posted : 04/06/2017 7:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The OP is looking for a category search that only returns the performances currently assigned to the live set.

There is no such feature I am aware of.

In order to manage this, what you can do is assign the "favorite" designation. See page 6 of the "nf" (new features) PDF inside the v1.51 firmware. You can use "favorite" as a marker for any performance you place inside live set. Then when you are doing a category search, you can "Bank/Favorite" filter by favorite which will list all performances you have currently placed into the live set.

This does require you to manually designate "favorite" for every performance as you go. It is not automatic.

As an alternative, if you don't want to use favorites - you can simply name the performance "LS.XXXXXX" where "LS." means live set and "XXXXXXX" is the current name you have for the performance. This would also mean there are no presets in your live set - since assigning the "LS." string to the performance name would require you to [STORE] a user-area copy of the preset if you currently have a preset in the Live Set. Then when you go to category search, you could type "LS." in the search and the return would be only those performances you have marked as being in the liveset already. Obviously, this also is a manual one-by-one process. I say "LS." - the letter "el" letter "ess" and a period (or "dot") because "LS" without the dot returns things like "What eLSe" - so "LS" by itself is not unique enough. But "LS." (with the period) is. And the default touchscreen keyboard has a "." (period) on the same screen as the alphabet - so it's easy to type.

One annoyance you may have to live with is that the "slot name" - a second string for each live-set entry - does not seem to have a mechanism to search this content. A complete solution for live set would include both a way only to search within the live set performance names as well as only the live set slot names.

Posted : 04/06/2017 8:52 pm
Bad Mister

Hmm, i dont know how to articulate this but that didnt work. To be more specific under bank user 1, I have 5 live set pages. When i hit user in search its taking me to a handful of performances i stored but not my 5 pages of sounds i have curated.

The difference between a User Performance in your USER BANK where there can be a total of 640 Performance, and your LIVE SETs is you can "Search" through the 640 potential Performances... then add any of them to your Live Set.

Let's be clear what a LIVE SET is... say you took out a piece of paper and wrote down the songs your band is going to play for the evening. A Live Set is more like that, except it is not songs necessarily but the sounds you are going to need access to for those songs.

Say you start the evening on acoustic piano, then you need a B3 organ, followed by a full string orchestra, then back to acoustic piano, and then a brass ensemble.... then piano again and on and on....

Your first Live Set Page, might have 1 "CFX Concert", 2 "All 9 Bars", 3 "Seattle Sections", 4 "CFX Concert", 5 "Dyn Pop Brass", followed by 6 "CFX Concert" and so on...

Your set list might have that CFX Concert listed twelve or more times... because a Live Set could be a listing of the sounds you are going to use in the order you are going to use them.

Meanwhile [CATEGORY SEARCH] is a way to look through the 2036 Factory Performances, the 640 potential User Bank Performances, or the 640 potential Performances in each one of your installed Libraries.

Why you might want to just keep repeating CFX Concert each time is, you can advance through your set list using a FOOT SWITCH set to "LIVE SET+" which advances you through the "list", and the piano in the first location might be stored at a volume of 101, the second instance of the piano might need to be stored at a volume of 122, and the third is the one you use behind announcements which is stored at a volume of 58...

Your Live Set can reference Performances from any bank, Preset or User. You don't need to search the Live Set, in such a use... they are in the order you will be using them (theoretically).

Posted : 05/06/2017 12:46 pm
Topic starter

Ugh, i was afraid that was the answer. So as Jason said my best option would be to essentially "favorite" every sound i have placed in those live sets to have them show up in the search option? i really wish there was an option to have "user bank 1" show up in the search. it seems counter intuitive. I would love if this were added as a feature in the next patch.

Posted : 05/06/2017 7:49 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I don't know what you are searching for?
Since there already exists a Page with LIVE SET User Bank 1 data.... (?)

Posted : 07/06/2017 3:44 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The category search has a few different things you can "stack" on top of each other. You can filter the list as a first step - like (when using a performance category search) filter on a specific library. Then, once the list is filtered - you can search (meaning using the magnifying glass QWERTY text entry area) to search for a specific sub-string that exists within the filtered list of performances (within a particular library in my example).

So when the OP says they wish for the "user bank 1" option - my translation of this is that they wish for a category search that would allow for searching the live sets and allowing to filter the list on live set "user bank 1" - which then could be magnifying glass searched for a sub-string.

Certainly, if all the OP wanted to do is look at just a list of live set user bank 1 in a category search (without using the magnifying glass to further narrow the return list) - which would just duplicate the live set pages - then this would match your question about scrolling through pages of the live set.

My assumption is it would be silly to ask for something that already exists - so what your suggestion does not capture is use of the magnifying glass to search for a unique sub-string INSIDE the list of pages of the live set. I thought it was fairly clear that was the goal.

That I'm aware - live set does not have a category search - so I used the suggestion to use "favorites" as a way to mark all performances which end up matching the current state of the live set. There may be a gotcha there - I'm not sure if presets can be marked as favorite. If not, then this adds a step of never placing a preset in the live set - and instead making a user performance duplicate of the preset just to add the favorite designation. So the workaround may also be seen as a kludge with its own set of gotchas.

Posted : 07/06/2017 9:12 am
Bad Mister

That I'm aware Live Set does not need a search function... in the larger scheme of things.

Posted : 07/06/2017 5:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

For my own usage - I agree. Not advocating to do it or not - just wanted to be sure the OP's request was clarified.

Posted : 07/06/2017 6:28 pm
Topic starter

I had just spent weeks combing through all the presets to get a bunch of sounds together that i liked with the intent of being able to create performances and loops in the midi recorder on the fly. If i select one of those sounds ie: lead feedbacker, go to add a second sound it takes me to category search automatically. I just wish i could scroll through all the sounds i had set aside in my user bank. It just seems like something i should be able to do.

Posted : 08/06/2017 7:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us