Notifications
Clear all

ESP plugin issues Attention Blake

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jon
Topic starter

Hi, Yamaha tech support directed me to this forum. I was told to contact Blake. 
--------------------
Model: MONTAGE M8X

I'm using the Montage M8X along with the ESP Plugin.I am noticing it is not performing very well on my computer ( i9 12900k / win 11 / Orion Studio SC ) when I change patches, it starts crackling Asio / audio on a otherwise stable PC. Which I can run at 8 samples , but when using the ESP plugin, I have to bump up buffer settings to around 128 samples to make it stable. I'm wondering if Yamaha is going to update the ESP plugin and specifically work on performance issues, as many in the gearspace forum, as well as Yamaha musicians forum are seeing the same thing on their cpu's as well.
Is there anyway to help test this software to make sure it gets released stable on their next build?

Thanks, Jon 

Posted : 22/05/2024 5:01 am
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello Jon,

We are updating E.S.P. on all fronts, including UI and performance. You didn't mention how you were connecting to E.S.P. Are you using MONTAGE M8x via USB and the Yamaha Steinberg USB audio driver when connecting? And are you saying that the issues you have disappear when you increase the buffer size? To be fair it is more difficult to diagnose PC systems as they have different configurations, but generally the issues you are having appear when using different connections or outdated drivers. 

Posted : 22/05/2024 9:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm guessing the audio driver is going to be for the Orion Studio SC which I take it otherwise works fine using low buffer sizes (translating to lower latency).   The 12th gen i9 is fairly high spec and should be plenty even though it's from late 2021.   I think the average ESP user is going to have a much lower spec machine.

I think the problem here is the rate at which ESP is able to "keep up" - not that there's anything that could be done to tune this.  If you're using USB2.0 to the Orion Studio you could use Thunderbolt 3 -- but that wouldn't really solve anything because even if you were using USB2 -- that's not, I imagine, where the problem is.

I guess all you can really do is cross your fingers that the full ESP with now even potentially higher demands on CPU (using new reverb, for example) somehow delivers better performance.   I guess it's not out of the question that there's been enough time to optimize the core engine.

I looked on ideascale and didn't see a request there to improve performance.  Hopefully, there are other channels where Yamaha is getting this feedback if it is widespread.

If you are using the Orion Studio then you may want to experiment with using Montage as the audio interface and see if there's any benefit to using the Yamaha Steinberg USB drivers.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Jason

Posted : 23/05/2024 6:24 am
 Jon
Topic starter

Posted by: Blake Angelos

Hello Jon,

We are updating E.S.P. on all fronts, including UI and performance. You didn't mention how you were connecting to E.S.P. Are you using MONTAGE M8x via USB and the Yamaha Steinberg USB audio driver when connecting? And are you saying that the issues you have disappear when you increase the buffer size? To be fair it is more difficult to diagnose PC systems as they have different configurations, but generally the issues you are having appear when using different connections or outdated drivers. 

Hi Blake, Thanks for the reply. Yes I've used / tested the ESP Plugin via the Yamaha USB Audio driver, as well as tested with a RME ADI 2/4 Pro SE , as well as an Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core. Both of these interfaces are robust and work amazing at low latencies with any other plugins I use on a daily basis, such as Omnisphere, U-he Synths, Arturia to name a few.

My CPU is a 12900k with 32gb ram nothing but NVME M.2 drives so low latency is not a problem with any other VSTs I use.

This is exclusive to the ESP Montage M plugin, which is why I'm very interested to know if the next update will be rigorously tested at low latencies.

To answer your question, yes if you change buffer settings to a higher setting, ESP plugin starts to perform better, but this is sacrificing performance for the player. This is why I'd love to make sure Yamaha will confirm the release of the next update's low latency stabilty. If theres anything I can do, to help test, please shoot me an email.

Thanks for the reply. Jon

Posted : 26/05/2024 12:12 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us