Clear all

External Monitor Usb

28 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Jason - I'm looking at the Dell S2240T monitor (around €350) as even with my external monitor (not a touch-screen) it is still necessary to lean forward to be certain of touching the right spot on the Montage screen - I fail to understand why being a synthesiser makes any difference to the ergonomics of using it. My question is about the Egalax driver - presumably this has to be downloaded to my computer to enable the Dell monitor? Does the Montage already have it on board? I currently switch between the computer and Montage via a 2VGA in to 1VGA out Konig switch/ and it appears the Montage accepts external control so is compatible.

Posted : 11/04/2017 3:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The whole point of the video Jan sent in this thread was it appeared someone was able to get an external monitor that has touch-screen capabilities to plug into Montage and control the touch-screen using the monitor and NOT having to use the touchscreen on Montage itself. So presumably, you get this touch-screen-enabled monitor, plug the USB cable into Montage, then you see Montage's touch screen on the monitor AND you can touch the monitor (not Montage) you just plugged in and Montage will react to your MONITOR touches no longer having to have any Montage-TOUCHSCREEN touches. You could presumably place the monitor above your head and not have to lean over anything to see or touch it and control Montage. This is the "holy grail" of what you've been wanting if it works.

... about the drivers.

I'm saying Montage appears to already have Egalax drivers inside of it. No need to install anything. You can't anyhow because Montage is a closed system. Montage uses something called "tlib" to give it the Egalax capabilities - and depending on the version of tlib (I have no idea) you get different capabilities. I wasn't able to find a page that showed a list of monitors that tlib supports - maybe there's one out there. I just went as far as noticing "Egalax" based touchscreens appear to be supported in Montage and noticed a reference to the Dell S2240T in a forum about monitors is Egalax based. So it's not confirmation, but just a good sign that it appears Montage has "Egalax" support already embedded and a monitor that looks like it is working as a touchscreen for Montage is rumored to be "Egalax" based.

I also included a link to a cheapie Egalax based product. There's more out there if anyone wants to try without a huge investment. I think (hopefully) I got the ball rolling. And Yamaha will chime in at some point as would be prudent when a thread possibly goes off the deep end.

Posted : 11/04/2017 5:11 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Jason - yes, I get the first bit - it's the only reason I'm interested in the Dell monitor - but I don't know anything about 'Egalax' drivers - I gather that it's embedded in Windows 10 as it is in the Montage. Is that your understanding too? I had a look at your cheaper alternative (and how!) but the screen isn't much bigger than the Montage one - as you say, there may well be others, but I tend to stick with the one that I've seen to work (even if I don't know exactly how!). I'm with you in hoping that Yamaha will come up with some guidance/advice on this issue - you have only to look at the number of views to see the extent of the interest ... pretty well Auriak's point in the first place.

Posted : 11/04/2017 7:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If I have ANY device - say it's a toaster - and I can plug it into a USB port - if I find an oven and plug it into the USB port and both the toaster and the oven use the exact same driver - then to the computer they're the same thing - there's no difference. Like I said, the "toaster" driver is already inside Montage. If you find an oven that can plug into Montage that uses the exact same driver - then chances are it will "just work" without you doing anything.

My references to drivers were simply to give an INDICATION that it may work. Forget about drivers. Pretend I said the Dell Monitor looks IDENTICAL to the Montage touchscreen - that somehow I saw it's the same hardware - so maybe if you plug it in it'll fool montage. That's not a technical way to say it (or even correct way to say it) - but maybe more understandable.

Montage does have drivers - hardware support - "modules" - they're pre-loaded. It's why only certain USB-to-HDMI/VGA converters work - because the driver for certain ones are already inside Montage. You didn't have to install anything to make them work (a QWERTY keyboard, a USB flash drive, certain USB-to-VGA converters). Maybe this Dell monitor can leverage that stuff and just work. Without doing anything but plugging it in.

I don't really know - I'm going by the video and matching what I see best I can. You also have to beware of trickery and the like (fake video). So who knows - I'm expecting Yamaha to chime in and call foul or to give the green light.

Posted : 11/04/2017 9:12 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Jason - thanks! I too hope Yamaha might chime in, but my concern is not for the Montage - which as you say, I can do nothing about, it either will work or it won't - but my computer, which is the primary employer of the monitor. I understand from the Egalax website that Windows 10 supports it, so hoping it will drive the Dell S2240T just by plugging it in as well.

Posted : 12/04/2017 6:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Rod wrote:

Hello Jason - thanks! I too hope Yamaha might chime in, but my concern is not for the Montage - which as you say, I can do nothing about, it either will work or it won't - but my computer, which is the primary employer of the monitor. I understand from the Egalax website that Windows 10 supports it, so hoping it will drive the Dell S2240T just by plugging it in as well.

The only purpose I am talking about using any touchscreen monitor for is to plug into your Montage and never into your computer. That's the point of this thread - hooking monitors up to Montage. What you do with your computer not involving a Yamaha keyboard is outside of the scope of this thread or the forum as a whole except maybe the non-synth talk area. Surely a Dell monitor made for a PC will work with a PC. I've seen issues with compatibility with certain computers - not this model - but in general. Manufacturers like to play games to make the experience "worse" on non-native hardware (like if you're trying to plug a Dell component into an HP). They'll (the manufacturers) will claim this is not so - but if you deny support except for your own product line (which is "fair" in my opinion) then this is setting up a worse experience by omission (omitting support for certain 3rd party connectivity). If you're getting this monitor for your PC - then don't use this thread as a point of reference - I'm focused on Montage and what appears to be what many users have been asking for since nearly day 1.

Posted : 12/04/2017 7:11 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Jason - see your point, sorry! I only use one monitor, which is switched between Montage and my computer as required - the computer is an inherent part of the Montage set-up, hence my connection. I'm leaning towards blowing €350 on the Dell, and if I do I'll let you know if it works!

Posted : 13/04/2017 5:59 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Don't throw away the old monitor when you get the new one so the old one can stick with the computer and new one to the Montage.

If thinking about trying out a touchscreen model of monitor and hoping for it to work with Montage, I would certainly wait until there's some unofficial feedback from Yamaha on this one.

Posted : 13/04/2017 6:21 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I wanted to look across the aisle and see what's out there in the way of touch screen monitors. There are more brands available (Asus, Viewsonic, etc). I just picked out a few of them to take a look at the specs. I didn't go as far as look at what drivers they use to see if maybe they have compatibility with Montage (whatever that means, no messaging from Yamaha yet on this). When I see "USB2 upstream" - those are the one, from just a USB hardware compatibility standpoint, I start to look at as a first cut line. Montage has had "iffy" results with USB3 storage media - so I am inclined to narrow the list down to only USB 2.0 devices. You'll notice the S2240T discussed earlier is USB 2.0 while the larger P2418HT is USB 3.0. They are both priced the same, so it still looks like the S2240T (if from Dell) will have the best chance of working even though I like the stand of the larger screen better. The HPs are all the same price and close in pricing to the Dell - but are also all USB 3.0, so I'm not inclined to check those out. USB is supposed to "down shift" and provide backwards compatibility. "supposed to". The Acer is considerably cheaper which is why I listed it - and has USB 2.0 for the touch interface. I have no idea what driver the touch interface uses - so no idea if it will stand any chance of working with Montage. Not a fan of the stand - or how they did the speaker mounting either which is certainly wasted space for this usage. But it is "cheap" if it works.

All of these are probably "too big" for me to actually use under all scenarios. A 10" tablet would be better in my opinion - but at the studio it may be worth having a jumbo-touch-tron.

touchscreen monitors

Dell P2418HT - 24" $$
1920x1080, 16:9
Displayport
DVI
VGA
(USB3 upstream)

Dell S2240T - 22" $$
DVI-D
HDMI
VGA
(USB2 upstream)

HP EliteDisplay E230t 23-inch Touch Monitor $$
Displayport
HDMI
VGA
(USB3 upstream)

HP EliteDisplay E220t 21.5-inch Touch Monitor $$
Displayport
VGA
(USB3 upstream)

Acer UT220HQL 21.5" Touch Screen Display $
1920x1080
HDMI
VGA
(USB2 upstream)

Posted : 14/04/2017 8:54 am
Michel
Eminent Member

Here's an interesting possibility:

10.1" USB LCD - https://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-magic-monster-10-1-inch-resistive-touchscreen-monitor

It uses DisplayLink & egalax drivers, connects via one usb port and also has a usb hub so you could connect a usb stick as well.

This display also has the same 16x9 ratio as the Montage LCD.

Posted : 14/04/2017 9:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If the DisplayLink is the version compatible with Montage - then it seems well suited because - unlike the other monitors - would use just a single USB connection instead of having to go through a hub with a USB-to-HDMI converter to get the video to work with the other touchscreen (as the youtube video must have done - if that is authentic).

I have a number of DisplayLink devices and Montage is fairly finicky about what it can talk to because there is a narrow of window of support they placed in there - probably just enough to have early engineers test before the final touchscreen was decided on. Or maybe just a might-as-well add it because someone had a particular device on their desk and decided to spend the weekend adding what needed to be added to support his/her own device.

The size and attributes (perhaps other than resolution - not sure what the native resolution of Montage is). Looks like a great fit, though on nearly all fronts if it works.

Posted : 14/04/2017 11:17 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Just for testing, i have plug my USB adaptator to DVI on an powered hub and test with my two tactil Monitor (not in the same time of course, one by one by also connecting the usb tactil port) :
Hans G 23" and Iiyama PLT1532SR-B1 15".
I have the Montage screen on each tactil Monitor (it shutdown the montage screen like on the video), tactil work but it's not calibrate like it must be :
pressing somewhere on the external Monitor up it active a pad down, on left it's right or reverse, there is no "rule" like if "i press somewhere apad X, it activate a pad Y 3cm on le right and 4 cm bottom each time, it's random.

So the drivers/calibration are not good and i have also try to calibrate with "Utility + Common" , i never can touch the little white square on the screen.

Montage resolution is 800/600 for external device, when i done Moessieurs videos, i need to select an extract at 800/480 to remove the black "band" bottom (green before OS 1.50).

Posted : 17/04/2017 8:05 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The liyama shows as "Iiyama T1532SR eGalax, USB". Not sure if the fault is the eGalax level ("USB" vs "eGalax TP100, serial" vs "eGalax 7xxx series", ...), internal touch implementation, or both.

The liyamaha as resistive touch has more issues with calibration than cap touch. Although the native hardware is resistive I believe.

Like most unsupported features - there's a huge YMMV here and you may get "lucky" and find a monitor that matches the features that Montage is expecting to properly both display and receive touch feedback.

HP Monitors that look similar to the ones in the video are fairly easy to source - although the product line has gone through a few refreshes and kept the same look/feel - so there's no telling.

Very similar to the usb-to-UDMI/VGA support, there will likely be a very short list which will slowly grow into a somewhat larger list (2-3 more) as time goes on and people test more variations.

Posted : 18/04/2017 6:58 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us