Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone bought a Montage 6 and wished they bought a 7?

20 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes

Years ago I went all out and got a Motif ES8. Weighed a ton. Great board of course, but I realized 61 was perfect for me, especially with the octave button + -. My next board was a MoX6. Did not miss the extra keys for a second. Now I have a Montage 6 and it's excellent for me. I'm not a deep programmer type, or pro synth player. I'm a multi instrumental guy Vocals, Guitars, bass, Drums and Keys for my recordings and it's just what I want and need.

Recent lyric video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrW5ZTH2xew

Posted : 11/04/2018 9:28 pm
studio460
Topic starter

Just to update the thread—I've had my Montage 7 for a few weeks now, and I really like it. Cosmetically, I think it's the best-looking of the three where the front-panel seems in balance with the keybed. Although the smaller 61-key would've allowed me to set my Roland JD-XA right next to it on the second-tier, I've been using the Montage 7 as my "main" keyboard lately, so the 76 keys really do improve playability. So my advice for anyone who's still on the fence, go for the 7 if at all possible.

Posted : 15/04/2018 8:15 am
 Tom
Trusted Member

Hi
My First Montage was a M7.
and. I did love having the extra keys.
There are however some constant drawbacks to buying any. 73/76 key over a 61 Key.
The Montage 6 has. Just slightly Wider key spacing than the M7. (It might only be 1/32 of an inch.) But it is a big plus to me.
Splits/zones and Octave button. A 76 is great. if You do not want to deal with this approach. But most keyboard players.
Adapt very quickly to these. Workaround functions. And therefore never miss having a 76 key.
RESALE Value.
While the New price of any 76 key is Big $ compared to a 61 key model.
However. The resale value of 61 key verses a 76 key (Most brands.)
Is always Very close. IE: New the price Diff may be $1000. But The used price May only be $150- $200 Difference.
That is because. The vast majority. Want a 61 key. Which also means. A 61 key. Is usually easier to sell.

Now. If I had the $ and was never going to sell. I would want a 96 key LOL.
But reality says. A 61 key is always the best purchase with most brands of keyboard.(Except older Keyboards).
Less money IN. More return $ on your investment. And most times. Better portability.

Posted : 15/04/2018 6:55 pm
studio460
Topic starter

I can appreciate both Geoffrey's and Tom's replies. I'm totally fine with my short-keyboard synths: 37-key Virus, 49-key Korg Radias, 61-key Roland V-Synth GT. These I mainly use for leads or bass-lines (though, I play a lot of chords on my V-Synth as well). The Montage's build-quality and synth-action keybed are so nice, it's quickly become my primary keyboard (my 88-key, weighted-action Korg Kronos is now the "piano" keyboard). Although I pretty much never sell any of my gear, I finally decided to retire my Roland Fantom G8 and puled it out of my set-up, and will probably be selling it soon.

Like Geoffrey, I also play guitar and drums, and the synths were supposed to be "add-on" instruments to accompany my guitar-playing. Of course, even though I'm not a skilled pianist, the synth bug caught me early on when I got my first Moog way back in eight grade. Even though my music theory was weak, and I quit taking piano lessons by high school, the love of synths never faded. Of course, now that I have a job and a place to put them, I bought them all. Oddly, I never minded the 37 keys on my Virus (however, I really do wish my new Roland JD-XA had 61 keys instead of just 49).

Posted : 15/04/2018 10:01 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member

My Answer. Was basically.
Looking at it. From the most practical View(IMHO).
With
Splits/Zones and Octave button. No one needs larger than a 61 key.
Except. When there is a Real need.
And If The 76 key held the same % value on resale. It might be a Different world.
Had I had the Money to keep things. I would still have my M3 and other Stuff I miss.
But the world Is run by money. So equipment decisions. Have to consider the practical side of things.
Roland
Will listen to 100,000 users. And Do the exact opposite of what the users requested. There really is no understanding that company.
61 keys was and is the most requested feature of the Roland JD-XA.

Posted : 15/04/2018 11:41 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us