Notifications
Clear all

Help needed with 'MIDI-in' to the Montage

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Theo
Topic starter

I purchased my Montage strictly for the sounds and my goal is to use my Roland Fantom G as a controller (and sequencer) as I did when I had a Motif XF.

When I used to use my Fantom to control my Motif, it was as simple as "MIDI-out of the Fantom" to "MIDI-in into to Motif, turn the volume down on my Fantom and play the Motif sounds with my Fantom.

For whatever reason, this isn't working with the Montage. I already went into the utility/tools menus and made sure that it was set on MIDI (and not USB). Connections are correct as well.

What is the simplest way to control the Montage with use of an external MIDI keyboard?

Theo

Posted : 27/12/2016 2:27 am
Bad Mister

The Montage, as you've discovered, is very different from the Motif XF.

What is the simplest way to control the Montage with use of an external MIDI keyboard?

Go to [UTILITY]
Touch "Settings" > "Advanced"
Set the MIDI I/O Mode = Single and select a single MIDI channel on which to address the Montage.

Posted : 27/12/2016 2:36 am
 Theo
Topic starter

I really appreciate your response but I think I'm still missing something!

Can you explain this part [Set the MIDI I/O Mode = Single and select a single MIDI channel on which to address the Montage] a little better to me?

Attached files

Posted : 27/12/2016 4:21 am
Jeremy

I think he means that you have to set the MIDI I/O to = Single and select the MIDI channel that the Fantom is transmitting on.

Posted : 27/12/2016 5:48 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi Theo, by loocking you picture it seems you are on the original Montage operating system.

Midi I/O single or multi mode settings are in the Montage since OS 1.10 :

We are now on the OS 1.20.

Update your Montage to the last OS version.

Before update your Montage OS, save a User file, the OS update from original to 1.20 can erease your user data and library's.

Posted : 27/12/2016 8:04 am
 Theo
Topic starter

OH WOW I SEE!!! I'm new at this. What's the simplest way to update it with my Mac?

Sorry for all of the questions guys but this Montage is a tough beast (which I absolutely LOVE)!!!!

Posted : 27/12/2016 12:01 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi.
Yamaha support site page for Montage download is here :

http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=fr&site=fr.yamaha.com&category_id=16381&product_id=2166246

Search and download the "MONTAGE OS Updater V1.20"

Unzip the zip file downloaded, you will avec an V120_readme_en.txt file with all informations about how to check your firmware and how to update in English, read it carefully.

You will also find a pdf in English that explain all new features.

You can update directly to 1.20 version.

Remember, save your user data as user file, be sure you have your library file on your mac or on an usb stick before to proceed the update.

As another support, you have a dedicated page on my website, it's in French( i'm French) but you can use the google tools traslator in the top banner, not perfec but enought good,, you have several screen shoot to help you.
On the bottom of the page, you have a video in French, subtitle in English about how to proceed.

http://www.moessieurs.com/update_os_montage.html

Hope it's help.

Posted : 27/12/2016 1:19 pm
Bad Mister

Always keep your Montage firmware up to date. Not only bug fixes, but new features are added!

Posted : 27/12/2016 1:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us