Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How do I get the Montage instruments (parts) to display in my DAW when not connected?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Ken
 Ken
Topic starter

Our church just purchased the Montage 8, which I recommended and setup. I would like to upload (pre-made) midi files to the Montage either by USB flash drive, or direct connection from my laptop. I have a couple different DAWs and can't seem to find a way to get the Montage instruments to show up in the DAW when I'm not connected to the Montage (i.e. when working on a song at home). I know some manufactures have files that the DAW can load that have their instruments, and that Cubase Elements has many of the different keyboard instruments (i.e. programs/parts), but I'm not seeing anything for the Montage. I realize that selecting an instrument is just a place holder if not connected to the real instrument, but it would be helpful to have the bank, program name and program number available, to automate the program change, MSB and LSB control values needed to pre select the desired sound.

Thanks.

Posted : 08/08/2017 2:53 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I have a couple different DAWs

Listing those DAWs with specific program titles may help you find support faster as there may be instructions specific to the DAW.

Posted : 08/08/2017 5:22 am
Ken
 Ken
Topic starter

Cubase Elements and Magic Samplitude.

Posted : 08/08/2017 4:43 pm
Bad Mister

I don't know if it semantics or not, but listing the names in a DAW does not mean the sounds are in the computer. It just means you can send appropriate Bank Select and Program Changes to the external hardware when it is connected to the DAW. There are no such Bank Select and Program Change lists that can substitute for the Montage tone engine. Sorry, that is not how it works.

Working with the Montage in a DAW while away from the Montage is not possible. The so called "Script files" or "Instrument Definitions" do not substitute for the synthesizer hardware, certainly not for a Montage, and short of some basic GM sound sets I know of no such instrument substitutions that are worth pursuing. These listings only allow you see the Bank and Program numbers - they make no sense unless you connect an actual Montage.

The early Script file available for the Montage was obsoleted as soon as new sounds were added to Montage in one of the firmware updates. And that is the problem with such Script files, they are only as good as the most recent sound set, and since the majority of custom DAW setups are made up of user edited data, the best you can hope for from such fixed listings is the Factory Presets... if all you use are Factory Presets, it will be useful for recalling these sounds when, and ONLY when, you connect an actual Montage to the DAW.

Without the Instrument they are made for, such lists are less than useless...

If you want to create a MIDI File that you can take on a USB stick and load to the Montage at church, we recommend a different methodology to move your Montage Performance data.

MONTAGE CONNECT, if you are not using it yet... please introduce yourself to it. It will automatically capture your Performance setup from your Montage and instantly restore it to the church's Montage when you open your DAW file... this is provided you make sure the two Montages have the same custom use data.

MONTAGE CONNECT can run inside any VST3 compatible DAW, when SAVE your DAW file it automatically sends a request to your Montage to bulk dump its current Performance (every setting) - it then bundles this information with the DAW File. When you go to church, you'll simply open the Project Cubase, instantly and immediately your Performance is sent to the connected Montage.... just press the Spacebar to play.

If you are not using a VST3 compatible DAW like Cubase, you can simply manually capture the Performance with Montage Connect. Simply click on the RECALL function and click the icon that directs the Keyboard > Computer ... the Performance name will appear on the top line. Click SAVE... type the Performance name and it will be saved on your computer for manual recall later.

At the church, simply open Montage Connect, select LOAD, find your Performance and send it from Computer > Keyboard..

You can "move" everything in your Montage to the church Montage using a .X7A (Backup) File.

Posted : 08/08/2017 6:49 pm
Ken
 Ken
Topic starter

Bad Mister, thanks for the information. I'm not sure if my original question was misleading, but I totally agree with your first few paragraphs, though they were not my expectations (i.e. that having the sounds listed in the DAW would make them available in the computer, or that I was looking for a script to remotely access the Montage). It sounds like Montage Connect is what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Posted : 09/08/2017 1:22 pm
Bad Mister

Montage Connect will automatically capture and restore your Montage Performance - you only need to open the Cubase Project and hit the spacebar to play. Simply opening the Project will restore the PERFORMANCE you used to create the data.

Posted : 11/08/2017 6:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us