Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

how do I record mono (vocals, guitars) thru Montage?

27 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

well, I really got this all wrong this whole time...but I was only recording stereo so far and not mixing yet.

I dind´t know one could keep the stereo bus settings and still get mono.

which makes me wonder what the various presets for the Montage in the Cubase audio bus setup are good for.I thought I had to switch to a preset with mono,but I guess I don´t need those presets for anything at all. They certainly lead me on a complettely wrong path.

I think I sort of got it down now...until the next riddle....

Posted : 29/12/2019 8:28 pm
Bad Mister

Think of the Cubase INPUTS as inputs on a physical mixer. Unless you connect something to them, they just sit there waiting for you to plug the OUTPUT of some instrument into them.

So the template makes lots of INPUTS available. You just select the ones you want to use.
This is one reason I don’t believe TEMPLATES are good when first learning... (having been a teacher), I believe it is best to learn how to set things up, manually, ...only then can you truly appreciate what the template is actually doing. Since there is no one-way to work, the template can’t possibly know what you want to do. You are now at that point where you are wondering just what good is the template... take your time. Don’t give up. It will all come together the more you work on it! Then you can make your own template based on how YOU like to work.

Posted : 30/12/2019 2:33 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thank you, everything sort of seems to work now...I finally made it to the final mixing stage of my first song recorded with the Montage. I say it´s about time 🙂

Posted : 30/12/2019 9:39 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

once a darn "Montage USB audio bus preset" in Cubase is changed in a project, lots of problems... nothing records until the preset is changed to the ONE AND ONLY ONE that actually works, which is "stereo in". So...please, what are these presets even for, why where they put ther if they do not even work? they cause nothing but trouble!

Posted : 17/01/2020 7:09 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's better to understand how to build this stuff from scratch because templates and helpers gloss over key setup - because that's what they are for - to be "plug and play" so you don't need to know what you're doing necessarily. But plug and play for specific usages. And if you're not understanding up from down - then it's my opinion that templates are more of a hindrance than a help. Because if you have problems with templates (because they're not intended or helpful for whatever you're trying to accomplish) - you won't understand why or what - and now you're "debugging" templates that you weren't meant to use in this way in the first place -- and haven't gotten any further down the road of understanding the software, your hardware, and proper setup.

The only "template" I use is "Empty Project" and build everything from there. When you can build this from the ground up and know what different configurations are - it's probably OK to start folding in "shortcuts" after you know how to do everything without them. And to build your own "shortcuts" rather than relying on other precanned ones that may never really be applicable for how you use the software.

Posted : 18/01/2020 12:37 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I learned the hard way.... in some of my projects, I seem to have changed a template to record mono because I thought that I had to. and actually, it is absolutely impossible to record anything in mono with those templates that have mono. I better not start wondering why. But switching back to the defauilt stereo preset resolves the issue.

Posted : 18/01/2020 6:54 am
 Tim

Gabi, I feel your pain and frustartion... been there, done that. That's why I searched for help and found this page. Bad Mister, you're a Hero for hanging in there and making the complex understandable as few can.

Posted : 06/02/2020 1:07 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Gabi, I feel your pain and frustartion... been there, done that. That's why I searched for help and found this page. Bad Mister, you're a Hero for hanging in there and making the complex understandable as few can.

thank you 🙂 it really is a pain and it shouldn´t be this painful. there´s always something going on.... like just right now. I wanted to record a single track of a multipart performance in Cubase and again, I had 3 notes on top of each other... So I play around and set the Montage to all keyboard controls off and just the part I want selected and it works. No more stacked notes in Cubase. I don´t remember anyone mentioning this is how it works before. I remeber there´s this dogma about recording all the parts to one single track and then splitting the midi tracks. Well guess what, this dogma never ever works for me. It might work for the inital idea, but after that, it becomes useless. I just don´t work that way. I want to record one part after the other. I don´t want to correct all my notes with the mouse but actually replay the part. And I want to rerecord it on it´s track and not on top of everything else one one track together with 7 other performances. So...some of the dogmas I have learned here are simply not working for everyone. And some of them are probably good for live performers but useless for homerecorders. Some things are made harder than they are. I remember asking endlessly about how to record the superknob in Cubase Elements...only to find out myself that all you have to do is activate automation write....and there you have it. Cubase Elements miraculously creates an automation track. Why was I always told this only works in Cubase Pro? This is what we get when there are no more real manuals and people are required to do all the work themselves to find out how things work and endlessly post on forums like this one and waste months or years.... Maybe one day tech companies will realize that it isn´t all that wise to save on the staff that writes the manual and the paper and ink. I wonder if it woulnd´t be cheaper to print one good and comprehensive manual than to hire people to answer the same questions over and over again for years and years on forums... 😉

Posted : 14/02/2020 8:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Use of keyboard control to prevent simultaneous notes on multiple MIDI channels has been discussed before.

Source (exactly 1yr ago): https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/modx-power-up-settings#reply-78175

... what it sounds like you want to do is have a single MIDI channel output even when you have a multi-PART Performance loaded. There's a mode for that. MIDI mode = single channel. Either that, or using MIDI mode = multi-channel you can turn keyboard control OFF of every channel then -select- any single channel you want to use. This will send MIDI messages out the selected PART's MIDI channel. Without zone PART settings this will default to the PART # as the MIDI channel. With zone PART settings (transmit) - you can set the MIDI channel to an arbitrary channel for send.

And earlier in 2018 - more clear title relating to your observation: https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/unwanted-stacked-midi-notes-being-recorded#reply-73226

If you wanted to only transmit on a single channel and still keep multiple transmit MIDI channels, then go to the [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) screen and turn off Keyboard Control (Kbd Ctrl) for every PART 1-8. Now any single PART you want to play and have only one set of notes, you would select that PART by touching the PART (1-8) to select. Only that one PART will sound and send MIDI data. The MIDI channel will match the PART number assuming you have not change the transmit channel using Zones.

Posted : 15/02/2020 10:31 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

thank you Jason...ooops. I guess I forgot.... But really, I do miss printed manuals. I wonder why I get a printed manual for a toaster but none for an android phone or the Montage or Cubase (I am expected to switch around bewteen a pdf manual and the software on my computern screen or print out 700 pages myself so I can actually read the instructions while using the software...just fantastic.) The world has gone crazy 😉

it might also help if the 15720 posts in this forum would be organized by categories like on most other forums so peopole could find something. The search function never yields precise resuolts. If one could actually easily find the wanted answers here then people wouldn´t ask for the hundreth time why the waveforms are missing in a user library and stuff like that. Just saying... it can´t be that exciting for the yamaha staff here to have to answer the same basic questions over and over year after year.

Posted : 15/02/2020 11:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I didn't really expect you to dig those other posts up - but there may have been helpful information in there and I generally like to provide sources.

Regarding searches ...

My suggestion has been to skip using the search feature on this forum because it's inadequate. I use google.

site:yamahasynth.com montage detail

Where "montage" can be eliminated if I want to keep the search more generic (or changed to MODX or ..) and then "detail" is any of the usual detail you'd search for.

Looking at my history, I see I searched for:

site:yamahasynth.com jason "keyboard control"

Because I was looking for posts where I was involved and the quotes make sure the phrase "keyboard control" appears together like that instead of looking for "keyboard" and "control" anywhere in the post.

I like paper manuals too - but have gotten accustomed to the benefits of PDFs. Namely the search feature. Which works best if I can match the terms I'm looking for. Even though I have a paper Montage owner's manual that came with the keyboard - I still use the PDF when I'm referencing the manual. Also there's a fairly solid perspective that perhaps it's better for select users to use the natural resources (paper, etc) rather than have every keyboard manufactured include a full set of manuals. The "green" rationale. Of course, hardly anyone has a way to bind a manual - so printing can end up with a mess of papers that's a mess compared to a book. A little more work/hassle - one could still work around that. I can understand.

Frankly, I'm surprised they printed owner's manuals -- any manuals are likely going digital in the future.

Posted : 17/02/2020 5:06 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

yes, well I am thankful for ths forum, what would I do without it.... thank you for your help, and since most of my problems are Cubase related I should complain to them...

Posted : 17/02/2020 11:09 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us