Clear all

How to Achieve certain delay times

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Scott
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Im trying to replicate a certain delay and not really getting the results Im after, whats the best way to get a delay like at 2.43 in Don Henley's "Boys of Summer"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqwDRl2puCM

On another note does the Montage have a tape delay effect?

Cheers
Scott

Posted : 10/06/2017 10:40 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Youtube video blocked on copyright grounds in USA.

Posted : 11/06/2017 2:03 am
Bad Mister

On another note does the Montage have a tape delay effect?

Yes, it does. And a tape delay will work better than a tempo based for the Effect you are going after.. which sounds to be not tightly sync'd to the tempo... sounds to be fairly independent of strict tempo subdivisions.

The Montage features quite a few options to replicate the delays on that particular song. I am not familiar with the song (other than that YouTube version) and don't know what instrument sound is being processed there...

There is some pitch change going on (if I've identified the correct sound you are going after) this can sometimes be handled in the Effect... (there are several Effect types that can adjust the pitch).

The CONTROL DELAY is a recreation of the old tape delay systems (Echoplex, Space Echo) complete with multiple playback heads and a moveable (scrub-able / scratch-able) control option... for those wild scribbling runaway repeats type Effect.

The ANALOG DELAY RETRO is a recreation of old delays where the sound degrades as it repeats. ANALOG DELAY MODERN is the variation of that vintage sound.

You can avoid the Tempo, and Left/Right/Center Delays... from what I heard in the clip.

The BEAT REPEATER effect gives you tons of control including adjustment of pitch... try it if you want to kick it up a notch. It captures one beat and let's you manipulate the repeats in unique ways to say the least.

Typically, the "Feedback Level" parameter will determine the strength of the repeats and the number of repeats. Your Dry/Wet balance can help even out the strength of the repeats versus that initial hit.

Let us know how you make out, or if you have questions setting up the repeats

Posted : 12/06/2017 5:56 pm
Scott
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Phil,

Ill have a play with the control delay and see if I can get the results Im after, I think I need a delay with 2 repeats that I can specify the time of each repeat, shouldnt be too difficult in theory. Theres definately some pitch changing going on in the part that sounds like a seagull/bird so I'll try to record a pitch bend and make a HOLD arp from it.

Regards,
Scott

Posted : 14/06/2017 5:57 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

This youtube video isn't blocked for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa1qO258MEE&feature=youtu.be&t=174

Since this is live - the time is different. 2:54 I'm assuming.

Sounds to me like this could have been done with a guitar and a slide.

... searching more, I see a live cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VubwCpMRQ8A&feature=youtu.be&t=157

You see the left-most musician sitting down (wearing a hat) - he's playing a pedal/steel guitar. His own seagull wings are flapping back and forth when you hear this effect.

If I pull up "Pedal Steel" then replace the variation (on the "master"/"system" effects side) with:

Analog Delay Modern, Clear Black Preset, modify:
Delay Time = 417.8 and Feedback = 109

(note: I set the Var return to 127)

I go into the pedal steel PART and set pitch bend downward range to -4.

Then I get something passable when I play a "C" in the right octave and bend down 4 semi-tones at the right timing to have the delay pick up and repeat/fade the pitch bend.

I thought the note might be "B" and not "C" - but sounds a little between. With the pitch glissando it's not going to matter much - "in the ballpark" is good enough.

... you'll have to adjust the feedback/delay times to meet your expectations of the "fade" and "pulse".

Posted : 14/06/2017 7:12 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Edit:

Note - if you don't like using the pitch wheel, you can do something fairly simple to simulate the pitch wheel.

First, edit the PART (pedal steel) and go to the COMMON "Mod/Control" -> "Part LFO" screen.

Then set the LFO type to "Saw Down"

The pitch depth is already set to 23 - but change that 127 (destination is a column, depth is next column - "pitch" is 1st row in this area).

Finally, there's a "delay" meaning the system waits - before starting the LFO after a keypress. We don't want this - so change the "Delay" (between "Random Speed" and "Fade In") to 0.

Now the longer you hold that high "C" - the further the seagull call falls. You don't have to mess with the pitch bend - and, if you're playing another part at the same time, don't have to mess with what happens to that part if you do invoke the pitch wheel (although that could be controlled with turning pitch bend range to zero or disable PB inputs for that part).

Posted : 14/06/2017 7:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us