Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to configure modx to work with program change?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 john
Topic starter

Hi support,

The MSB and LSB values in Program Change doesn't work for me (they are used to define banks and subbanks) and I can't make changes from a DAW or other HW devices. I can only change 128 preset values with Program Change in MODX. 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁
I need a detailed explanation of how to make the full Program Change function work, what and how should I configure MODX and how to configure Ableton or other devices to make it work?

Thank you.

Posted : 01/05/2022 12:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

1. What DAW you are using and how you have configured it

It's Ableton. Which I don't have so I can't help. But I assume you can send CC messages which is what MSB and LSB are (specific CC numbers).

That said, I think the links sent already cover the how-to for most everything.

To the OP - I can say: try adding 1 to the MSB and LSB. I see several Ableton threads that claim Ableton has a range of 1-128 and not 0-127 as in Yamaha documentation (and also as in the MIDI spec). So add one to both the "Bank" and "Subbank".

I see this covered in Ableton's support forum.

Posted : 02/05/2022 8:56 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=116448]
To the OP - I can say: try adding 1 to the MSB and LSB. I see several Ableton threads that claim Ableton has a range of 1-128 and not 0-127 as in Yamaha documentation (and also as in the MIDI spec). So add one to both the "Bank" and "Subbank".

I see this covered in Ableton's support forum.

[/quotePost]

Is Ableton the Lua of DAWs?

Lua has 1 based arrays (and tables), rather than 0 based as occurs in just about all other languages.

Posted : 02/05/2022 2:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ctrlr which uses lua as the scripting language I believe gives you raw MIDI access. I haven't used it in a while, but I thought I used just straight MIDI hex with no adjustments in 0 vs 1. Although maybe higher-level functions require this and perhaps I don't tend to use those.

No sweat - I think, in general, there is some amount of disagreement of how to number things and so this is a fairly common "problem" to face in the MIDI domain. There are times Yamaha uses 1-128 vs 0-127 (mostly on the GUI) so thankfully the data list is 0 based which is, as you've alluded to, more standard in general.

Posted : 02/05/2022 3:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us