Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to manage .X3A files imported into Montage?

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I know I asked about this before but I have to re-ask, sorry lol. What is the best practice to save my songs and patterns on my Motif XF so I can then reconstruct them using the Montage- and a DAW of course.

I know I can save the .X3A file (which I have done) but can I import that into Montage and 'pick-out' the data I need (MIDI files- mainly)?

Many, many, many thanks:)

Posted : 23/07/2020 2:33 am
Bad Mister

The answer is still the same. The MONTAGE can read the Voices/Performances, the Waveforms and the Arpeggio. It does not read the Song, Song Mixing, the Pattern, or the Pattern Mixing data.

I know I can save the .X3A file (which I have done) but can I import that into Montage and 'pick-out' the data I need (MIDI files- mainly)?

No, as explained the last previous answer....you have two options to transfer the MIDI data, and the manual transfer of the MIXING was also explained....

The MONTAGE can look at the .X3A (Motif XF All data file) and it can be told to either extract the 512 User Voices +32 Drum Kits, or the 512 Performances. It can import the User Waveforms, and the User Arpeggios.

You will need to use the “Yamaha Motif XF Editor VST“ installed in Cubase to open that same .X3A file. Yamaha has added a special Extension to Cubase that allows it to look at this same .X3A data and extract the Song and the Song Mixing data. It will place the SONG data on separate MIDI Tracks (by Channel) and it will show the Voices you placed into the 16 Parts of the XF MIXING ... from there you can manually reconstruct the Mixing in the MONTAGE.

From the previous post....
You’ll want to SAVE your Motif XF data in an All data file .X3A
From this file the MONTAGE will be be able to load all Voices, Waveforms and Arpeggios.

It does not import any Song or Pattern MIDI data, nor does it copy the MIXING setup. For this you have two options.
OPTION 1: Use Cubase to “Import Motif XF Song”... this will let you capture all the MIDI Track data, and the Motif XF Editor can capture a document containing all your Mixing settings. This will be very helpful in recreating the MIXING setup in the MONTAGE.
OPTION 2: Save each Song as a .mid File. Save each Pattern Section as a separate .mid File.

There is no way to simply import the entire 16 Part MULTI, but you will find everything you need in MONTAGE to recreate your data.

The first option is the quickest and easiest... once Cubase imports the XF Song, you can export it as a .mid File and load it to the MONTAGE. This .mid File can be played by the MONTAGE’s PLAY/REC feature.

Because the Import > Motif XF SONG Function is also able to capture the MIX settings with the Motif XF Editor, you can reconstruct each composition by building the MULTI with MONTAGE sounds. I’ve done this several times. As I repoint each Cubase Track from the XF to the MONTAGE, I either find the original sound I used in the XF or I substitute a new one. The entire process comes together in short order. (I haven’t timed myself, but the finished products in each case have been well worth the effort, to be sure).

If you used any Integrated Samples (Audio Tracks) in your XF creation they will be exported to Cubase and will be found in the MONTAGE as they get loaded with the .X3A File. You can simply create a MONTAGE Part to house those Waveforms. The MIDI note-On data that triggers these audio samples will already be imported... you simply need to line it up with its data.

Posted : 23/07/2020 12:09 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey BM, thanks again- I think I got it. The import went smooth- all MIDI tracks placed perfectly- thank God.
I should mention that I am currently doing this on a laptop, saving my songs as .cpr files with the intent of re-opening them in my main rig-with Montage connected.

I have saved the mixing setup as an .X3E file...is that correct? Will it sync to Montage when I open the project or do I have to open the .X3E file separately?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted : 23/07/2020 1:06 pm
Bad Mister

I have saved the mixing setup as an .X3E file...is that correct?

That part is correct.

Will it sync to Montage when I open the project or do I have to open the .X3E file separately?

No, the Motif XF data will not sync, nor will it load, to your MONTAGE. This is why I put the word “manually” in bold type — ”manually”.

The word manually means you will need to open that file in the Motif XF Editor and then while reading it, manually build the same sounds into a MONTAGE Performance. Manually, means you have to rebuild the MIXING with the sounds and settings as you see them in the Editor.

There is no loading or importing of the XF MIXING. It must be manually rebuilt...

Posted : 23/07/2020 3:43 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi BM, so I tried to load my .X3A file (251mb) into Montage and I received a message saying 'Waveform Full'.

I haven't created any library files or installed any of the free librairies into Montage ever. I have been only saving performances. The wave samples in my .X3A file total 60mb.

Ultimately I want to use the same voices I was using in the Motif XF. I know there are new sounds in Montage but I'd like to start with what I had and maybe change some sounds later. For instance, one sound I am using is called 'Jazzy Chorus'.

Update! Okay, so I installed the 4 Motif XF libraries MOTIFPRE1-2, MOTIFPRE3-4, MOTIFPRE5-6 and MOTIF PRE7-8- and I found Jazzy Chorus, which is sweet:). I clicked on it and went to Home and there it is as a single voice in a performance. From here I want to add other Motif Library voices to re-create my performance, but when i click the + sign I go back to the regular category search area and none of the Motif voices are there. I have to go back to Live Set mode to see the Motif single voices again and when I choose part 2 (upper left) and click on another sound it overwrites the Jazzy Chorus in Part 1 lol. Confused! Why are the Motif voices not showing up in Category Search? MOTIFPRE1-2, MOTIFPRE3-4, MOTIFPRE5-6 and MOTIF PRE7-8 appear in the category search list on the left, but when clicking on any of the 4 choices voices do not populate the spaces-even with Attributes 'All' chosen for every type of sound. I need a drink...

Please advise.

Thanks.

Posted : 23/07/2020 7:25 pm
Bad Mister

Sit down. Have that drink... Then come back and read this response...

Update! Okay, so I installed the 4 Motif XF libraries MOTIFPRE1-2, MOTIFPRE3-4, MOTIFPRE5-6 and MOTIF PRE7-8- and I found Jazzy Chorus, which is sweet:). I clicked on it and went to Home and there it is as a single voice in a performance.

If the names of those files are referring to Motif XF Preset Banks, all 1,024 of those Voices are already in the MONTAGE — There is no need to load these eight Banks. Also already included are the XF Drum Kits, and the pseudo-GM Banks — all are already in your MONTAGE!

From the HOME screen
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set “Bank/Favorites” = All
Set “Attributes” = Single
Type in “Jazzy Chorus”
You should have two copies... one is a Preset (already installed by Yamaha at the factory), the other is the one you loaded.

There is no need to load these Voices again.

Once you have your “Motif XF Editor” file open... here’s how to proceed.
Say “Jazzy Chorus” is listed as the Voice assigned to Part 1 of your XF Mixing

In the MONTAGE
From the HOME screen
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Set “Bank/Favorites” = All
Set “Attributes” = Multi
Tap “Init”
Select “Multi/GM”

From the HOME screen of “Multi/GM”
Select Part 1
Go to “Category Search”
“Part 1 - Category Search” appears
Set “Bank/Favorites” = Preset
Set “Attributes” = Single
Find “Jazzy Chorus” and select it for Part 1
Set the Volume, Pan position, Reverb Send, Chorus Send (Variation) by reading them from the Editor and implementing them in the MONTAGE.

Next, look to see what Voice you used in Part 2 of your XF Mixing.
In the MONTAGE press [PART SELECT 2]
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
“Part 2- Category Search” appears
Find this second sound and put it in Part 2...
Rinse and repeat for each Part, one-by-one.
MANUALLY!

Again, no need to load the XF Presets into the MONTAGE trust me, the backbone of the MONTAGE/MODX is the Presets from the Motif XF/XS... Over 1300 of them come from the XF, another 1400 are newly created for MONTAGE. (There are now 2739 Performances in your MONTAGE as of V3.50)

Your first couple of sentences contradict each other ... the file is 251MB
Then you say it is only 30MB

Also don’t bother loading Motif XF Factory Performances, they are already loaded (permanently) in your MONTAGE

Set “Bank/Favorites” = MOTIF XF
Set “Attributes” = Multi
All 512 Motif XF Performances are preloaded into your MONTAGE at the factory!

Posted : 23/07/2020 9:20 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Ahhh hmmm...No what I said was, my .X3A file is 251 mb, and the wave files in there total 60 mb lol, but anyway:D

I have attached a pic after doing exactly what you said, and lone-behold there is only one Jazzy Chorus file- and that only appeared after I installed the Motif XF libraries earlier today. I don't know where you're seeing the clone file but it isn't in my machine- and I'm using OS 3.5.

I already knew about the Motif XF performances- they've been there for a while... what I want access to are the single XF voices to build the performance on Montage before I open Cubase, and my wave files that are saved within the .X3A file that are mapped to the keyboard as a custom drum kit-actually 2 custom kits with files I had saved on the flash drives I have in my XF.

I made sure to backup the data 'with samples'- which is probably why the backup file is 251 mb -makes sense I think. Maybe the 60mb of files I saw earlier are already on the flash drive of the Montage?

I have attached pics hopefully demonstrating what I'm referring to regarding my issues and showing the waveforms- which I have no idea how to access lol. Honestly, I don't remember importing them, but I might have.

My plan was to rebuild the Motif in Montage before even opening Cubase, then once Cubase is opened- then I was going to open the X3E files and fix the mix.

Attached files

Posted : 23/07/2020 10:18 pm
Bad Mister

Update! Okay, so I installed the 4 Motif XF libraries MOTIFPRE1-2, MOTIFPRE3-4, MOTIFPRE5-6 and MOTIF PRE7-8- and I found Jazzy Chorus, which is sweet:). I clicked on it and went to Home and there it is as a single voice in a performance.

If the names of those files are referring to Motif XF Preset Banks, all 1,024 of those Voices are already in the MONTAGE

I have attached a pic after doing exactly what you said, and lone-behold there is only one Jazzy Chorus file- and that only appeared after I installed the Motif XF libraries earlier today. I don't know where you're seeing the clone file but it isn't in my machine- and I'm using OS 3.5.

“Jazzy Chorus“ is a Tone Wheel organ Preset. It’s in everybody’s MONTAGE and has been there since 2016... trust me
Call it up.
Tap the Performance Name box on the Home screen
Select “Property” on the pop-in menu:

Category = Organ
SubCategory = Tone Wheel
Bank = Preset
Bank Select MSB 64, LSB 6
Program Change No. = 112

Only you know what “MOTIFPRE1-2” is, I don’t. What’s in those files?
“Jazzy Chorus” is not!

Posted : 24/07/2020 12:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us