Notifications
Clear all

How to recreate Montage "Bell DX" preset in DX7 or Dexed or Ops7

40 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member

[quotePost id=120765][quotePost id=120764]@ Alex...

here's some tips for "emulating" AWM2 sounds on a different Synth. I have attempted doing this on several occasions, for different sounds reasons (mostly trying to copy with the Hydrasynth).

[/quotePost]

Have you had a listen to where Alex is up to?

Two posts up from your first screed... there's a link to a drive folder with the original and where Alex is up to. He's already quite some ways along, very near.[/quotePost]

Yes, I have followed every post, and I understand exactly where Alex is heading, and his progress along that trail.

So, on his unsolicited behalf, you are berating me, and assuming his annoyance, that I am providing assistance, which you personally have interpreted as insulting.

Firstly, my post was addressed to Alex, not you.

Secondly, if you ever bothered playing and learning Synthesis (instead of urinating on others in this forum at every opportunity) you'd know that there are 1000's of ways to achieve ballpark sounds, but very few ways to "nail" them.

Alex asked about reproducing a very specific sound. Short of doing it for him, I have provided clear (experienced) stepping stones to his goal.

You really need to wind your neck in.

Posted : 18/03/2023 7:20 am
Antony
Estimable Member

@Andrew[Not Bill]

In 3 years of attending this forum, nothing you have ever posted has indicated that you have ever attempted or have any idea about Sound Design... or anything remotely musical for that matter.

The Montage/MODX is a Synthesiser, and therefore sound design is at the very core of its being.

This thread/query posted by @Alex is exclusively about sound design. That is it. Requesting help to create a sound.

Yet here you are again, confronting people, with not a shred of personal interest, investment, or empathy with the Original Post, Poster or subsequent contributors. It's your trademark.

Posted : 18/03/2023 8:25 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=120767]@Andrew[Not Bill]

In 3 years of attending this forum, nothing you have ever posted has indicated that you have ever attempted or have any idea about Sound Design... or anything remotely musical for that matter.

The Montage/MODX is a Synthesiser, and therefore sound design is at the very core of its being.

This thread/query posted by @Alex is exclusively about sound design. That is it. Requesting help to create a sound.

Yet here you are again, confronting people, with not a shred of personal interest, investment, or empathy with the Original Post, Poster or subsequent contributors. It's your trademark.

[/quotePost]

Ad homs to go with the projection... settle down, petal. You'll strain something.

Posted : 18/03/2023 8:39 am
Antony
Estimable Member

I'm made of sterner stuff mate, and I have zero problems locking horns with you.

You are a troll, you'll always be a troll, and I will always call you out for being a troll.

Hopefully, you'll get tired of it, and look for another bridge to hide under.

But, if you don't, I'll still be here.

Posted : 18/03/2023 8:44 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=120766][quotePost id=120765][quotePost id=120764]@ Alex...

here's some tips for "emulating" AWM2 sounds on a different Synth. I have attempted doing this on several occasions, for different sounds reasons (mostly trying to copy with the Hydrasynth).

[/quotePost]

Have you had a listen to where Alex is up to?

Two posts up from your first screed... there's a link to a drive folder with the original and where Alex is up to. He's already quite some ways along, very near.[/quotePost]

Yes, I have followed every post, and I understand exactly where Alex is heading, and his progress along that trail.

So, on his unsolicited behalf, you are berating me,
[/quotePost]

No, asking a question!

[quotePost id=120766]
and assuming his annoyance,
[/quotePost]

is projection or a straw man?

[quotePost id=120766]
that I am providing assistance, which you personally have interpreted as insulting.
[/quotePost]

This is just flat out wrong. I said nothing of the sort, nor thought it. You have an active imagination, or building more straw men?

[quotePost id=120766]
Firstly, my post was addressed to Alex, not you.
[/quotePost]

argh... I see... so straw men, so you could battle them. Bravo. You might win, against them 😉

[quotePost id=120766]

Secondly, if you ever bothered playing and learning Synthesis (instead of urinating on others in this forum at every opportunity) you'd know that there are 1000's of ways to achieve ballpark sounds, but very few ways to "nail" them.
[/quotePost]

You must have enjoyed writing that almost as much as I did reading it. Well done. Bash those projections!

Posted : 18/03/2023 8:46 am
Antony
Estimable Member

It must still be early in the day wherever you are, because at least you are holding onto some form of grammar and train of thought.

I look forward to your later contributions once you have imbibed whatever it is you normally fancy, and I'll have another good laugh.

Posted : 18/03/2023 8:51 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=120771]It must still be early in the day wherever you are, because at least you are holding onto some form of grammar and train of thought.

I look forward to your later contributions once you have imbibed whatever it is you normally fancy, and I'll have another good laugh.
[/quotePost]

I'll read this as an apology for your having jumped to conclusions that were miles off.

Speaking of proximities... what did you think of Alex's effort, so far? This was the reason for my question... to hear your thoughts on what he'd come up with.

Posted : 18/03/2023 8:57 am
Antony
Estimable Member

There is no apology.

Your cognition is faulty.

There is nothing polite or apologetic in any of my responses to you so far.

You are the classic "Boy that cried Wolf". Many of us here have become familiar with your classic troll "bait and bite" behaviour. None of us are fools for it anymore.

I am being extremely direct. I have totally had enough of you, and I am not the only frequenter of this forum that feels that way.

You would never dare say any of the disgraceful things you have said to me on this site, in person. I guarantee you.

You are a nasty, cowardly stain on this site and the good people who contribute to it.

You keep coming and I will keep knocking you down until somebody removes you permanently.

Posted : 18/03/2023 10:33 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=120773]There is no apology.

Your cognition is faulty.

There is nothing polite or apologetic in any of my responses to you so far.

You are the classic "Boy that cried Wolf". Many of us here have become familiar with your classic troll "bait and bite" behaviour. None of us are fools for it anymore.

I am being extremely direct. I have totally had enough of you, and I am not the only frequenter of this forum that feels that way.

You would never dare say any of the disgraceful things you have said to me on this site*, in person. I guarantee you.

You are a nasty, cowardly stain on this site and the good people who contribute to it.

You keep coming and I will keep knocking you down until somebody removes you permanently.

[/quotePost]

*got any samples?

Perhaps you'd prefer to be referred to as Big Antony, the Lionhearted White Knight, from now on. Meant in the best way possible, naturally. And, of course!

Again, Alex, well done!

A dirty trick for transient pop at the beginning of any FM notes - radically, very quickly, drop the pitch from a couple of octaves higher than the intended note, during the very beginning of the attack phase, at the same time as lifting it from a couple of octaves down on the "sub" attack layer I suggested adding earlier.

This works well with FM because it's not samples being stretched, it's perfect wave shapes being modified in length, with phases kept aligned, all at a radical/rapid rate, without any aliasing.

Posted : 18/03/2023 11:22 am
 Alex
Topic starter

Spent a couple more hours tweaking this morning after a few weeks break. I did not add any layers. I only tweaked the 3 instances of OPS7 to match each of the 3 elements that comprise the Montage Bell DX preset. It doesn't sound like I need any more instances of OPS7. The 2 main things I am hearing is that element 1 on the Montage has this funky pitch on the higher harmonic that I wasn't able to quite get and element 3 on OPS7 seems quite noisy compared to the montage. Not sure how I can clean that up. Anyway I uploaded a newer file (labelled "OPS7 Bell DX 2") after this morning's session on the link below as well as the individual elements. Perhaps the layers could be balanced a bit better but I think it is closer.:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/16VEXhbPocS8fxfSlhIAPFdkmGP8yS0Em

Posted : 08/04/2023 3:18 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us