Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

I can't hear any sound

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I only have the usb cable connecting the montage and the computer. I am getting midi signal but no sound on any DAW. is it because I'm not using the main analog outputs? I think i tried everything.

Posted : 06/08/2017 12:40 pm
 Sean
Eminent Member

Richard
What DAW are you using? There are articles on the forum explaing how to set up the Montage to work with Cubase and Logic Pro X. They are worth a read. But essentially you will need to route the USB audio back to your DAW - this is explained in the articles on this site. But if you go into Utility -> Quick setup and select "Audio Record on DAW" you will route the USB audio to your computer. You then need to set up your tracks for recording them and you may not hear anything depending on whether you have monitoring enabled. Each part goes to two stereo USB inputs and Main L+R also goes to two USB inputs (1 + 2)

Posted : 06/08/2017 5:01 pm
Bad Mister

Richard wrote:

I only have the usb cable connecting the montage and the computer. I am getting midi signal but no sound on any DAW. is it because I'm not using the main analog outputs? I think i tried everything.

Yes, in order to hear the Montage you must connect the analog Main L&R Outputs to a quality sound system or you can use a pair of quality headphones connected to the Montage's Phones jack.

USB only delivers digital signals to/from the computer. MIDI and Audio.
Digital signals are converted to analog by the Montage ... you'll need the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver appropriate for your computer type and operating system.

Posted : 06/08/2017 5:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This has many drawbacks: sound quality, latency -- but if you really want your PC speakers to output the sound instead of Montage's Main L&R (or in combination - which would be a train-wreck due to the latency) -- you can.

I don't have a Macintosh - so translate this into Mac-land somehow. I'm sure it's possible there too.

Under Windows 10, I right click on the speaker and choose "Recording Devices". There should be a window that pops up with the title "Sound" and various tabs (Playback, Recording, Sounds, Communications). Be sure this is true and that the "Recording" tab is selected. Sometimes when you have this window open in the background - it won't select "Recording" -- it will leave the window alone the last way you had it set.

Under recording, click on "Line", also labeled as MONTAGE. There may be a number before MONTAGE. Click to highlight then press "Properties" (a button in the lower-right). A new window emerges titled "Line Properties". There are tabs (General, Listen, Levels, Advanced) and you should click on the "Listen" tab. Under a picture with an arrow showing how the audio will be routed, click on the "Listen to this device" checkbox so there is a checkmark in the box. Take a look at the next line "Playback through this device" and make sure the output is what you want. I selected an option for RealTek High Definition Audio (my audio "card") Speakers. Yours may be different depending on your computer - but you should be able to recognize which one is your computer speaker connection.

Next, click on the "Levels" tab under the "Line Properties" window. I do this just to be sure there's not a red "ghostbusters" circle next to the speaker showing it is muted. Mine was - so I turned that off unmuting it. You can do this elsewhere - but figured "while we're here".

Assuming there's digital I/O between the PC and Montage - you'll hear this out output out the PC's speakers. I went to Cubase and setup an audio track. I turned on monitor (the orange speaker under "Audio 01" or the name of your audio track) . I then pressed F4 (or menu "Devices" -> "VST Connections") to change the output from Main L / Main R for the stereo out bus to Digital R and Digital R.

With all of this setup, when I mash down on keyboard keys of Montage, I no longer hear anything out of the Main L&R speakers (oh, I also set a profile for DAW rec Audio which turned off the local monitor -- but you don't have to bother with that since you have no speakers hooked up to Montage). Instead, now I hear -- if I wait long enough (latency) -- the sound coming out my PC speakers.

Posted : 06/08/2017 8:37 pm
 Sean
Eminent Member

Jason
I agree this is not a good way to listen to your Montage. It's difficult to know what the OP's intentions are, I was assuming he is trying to record to DAW. If the Montage is switched in "Record on DAW" mode, main Left and Right are disconnected and all output goes via USB. So you would typically not hear any sound anymore if you had no monitoring switched on on the DAW.

Richard
I think we need more info as to your setup and what you are trying to achieve.

Posted : 06/08/2017 10:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us