Clear all

I tried the Iridium Desktop so this was my Yamaha point

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I just received the Iridium yesterday so I went through all the presets using my Osmose in MPE mode which was fantastic. My point to Yamaha previously was to make a Iridium-like module with 5 etc. synth engines and drop the keys because we don't need them with a controller like the Osmose. Even the poly touch doesn't compare on the Iridium keyboard version. I know they won't listen to one guy but if all your budget was focused on just the module you could have a "best of the best" type synth module and workstation that everyone could add to their rigs. The keys form factors seem to kill the budget when the keys are actually really. really good. Most are only an after thought with uninviting or uncomfortable aftertouch and no wiggle and no poly and everyone has their own preferences anyway.

The function and build and touch screen including UI of the Iridium is actually great. I never had to open a manual but I did watch some videos. It feels like a superior piece of equipment. In fact I received a demo unit that had been dropped, had the screen glued back in place and it still was working perfectly. Whoever attempted that repair wasn't qualified but it took serious damage and still works. I'm returning it unless they offer to sell it for much less, it's a major dealer so we have an understanding. I'm tempted to take it apart & repair it correctly, I've repaired hundreds of vintage Yamahas in the past. Unfortunately their attempt has permanently affected the screen so I think they made it worse. Not the display function but when it's off you can see a ghosted mess around the perimeter edges and light bleeding through around buttons and screen edges. My theory was when it was dropped the screen popped out or broke off from its anchor points. They tried to glue it back down and also tore the shroud or whatever hides the light from underneath. I would have removed the guts and come in from the back side and fixed it permanently somehow or ordered a replacement mount. I used to replace the backlight on the SY77/SY99 and that's about a million screws and all circuit boards out, pilled up to get to the display from underneath. Eventually I could do it with my eyes closed.

Posted : 01/07/2023 5:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us