Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Is this what we've been waiting for?

108 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Apparently someone on Facebook released these photos of the new Montage M8x synthesizer, the successor to the current Montage. I think there will be a M7x & M6x versions also. These are leaked photos, obviously, since it won't be until sometime in October, according to Yamaha, for the official launch of the Montage successor. If this post doesn't make it past the Spam-filter, then I guess Yamaha didn't authorize the leak. Here ya' go. See what you think...

Posted : 26/08/2023 7:18 pm
Topic starter

Okay, since the photos didn't show up in the post, but the message posted, that means Yamaha might not have authorized the leak. In that case, you can head on over to this website that shows the leaked photos of the new Montage. If Yamaha doesn't mind me posting the link, that is. https://yamahamusicians.com/the-new-yamaha-montage-m8x-montage-m7x-and-montage-m6x/

All the best, Michael.

Posted : 26/08/2023 7:23 pm
Topic starter

To make sure the photos are real, a person on another forum went to the Yamaha Singapore site to see if the new Montage M8X was listed under the Domestic Registration page. It was, and here is the listing... PS: Hopefully Yamaha won't mind me posting this pic.

Nope, Yamaha doesn't want any photos posted about the new Montage, apparently. Therefore, you can head over to this page on the Yamaha Musicians website to view the listing. PS: You'll need to scroll down some to see it. https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19182&start=735

Posted : 26/08/2023 7:39 pm
Prominent Member

You need to upload photos to the web and then provide the URL to the upload site. You can't post them directly in the forum.

I checked the Singapore Manuals site but those new model numbers don't show up yet.

Posted : 26/08/2023 9:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The model numbers show up in the warranty registration link provided in the other forum thread.

The speculative YouTube video talks about how the knobs under the touchscreen look like Fantom. To me, they go back further to another Yamaha keyboard. At least that's a hope that design philosophy is similar in terms of tone engine choices.

Wooden textured keys do seem influenced by Roland for the 88 and triple sensor seems like a good bonus as I do like how the CP responds. I'm assuming the 6 and 7 would have dual sensors (like today). I wouldn't consider a back breaking 88 so triple sensor is out for me. Not to mention I was planning on getting more life out of my current classic Montage.

If the "M" stands for multi-engine (including AN-X and anything else) then that would be interesting.

The screen(s) above the assignable knobs and sliders is interesting. Probably makes for more flexible use of the knobs with labels that can be changed to anything.

Didn't get scene buttons spread out over the keyboard from left to right and apparently didn't get more scene buttons. That's kind of a bummer but it's hard to discern how the new controls map to various functions without more clear pictures and documentation.

Looks like an interesting piece of gear.

I see others commenting about the silkscreen color choices. Maybe it's "ugly" but looks, to me, miles more readable than the previous dark blue on black. So that's better assuming this is representative (early leaks of Montage showed different silkscreen colors than the final production version).

Posted : 26/08/2023 9:44 pm
david
Reputable Member

Yamaha is going to be pissed! I see nothing exciting on the surface but then Yamaha doesn't do much exciting typically but YC was cool.

A lot of buttons have vanished and guess what's not in the surface? The Fantom like analog controllers or pads or anything fun.

Just empty space. That means almost everything has to be done on the screen?

Lets hope the guts are unbelievable but sadly the whole pleasure to stage and analog boards are the one-to-one glorious controllers.

It would appear none of that exists. If you screen dies you are screwed.

Why are the controllers on the left cut off in the photos? I wonder if it has the Genos Joystick too?

I literally just bought a Black Corp Deckard's Dream today so I'm good for a while. Need the Rachael and some Eurorack gear to make it work.

What if Yamaha is coming out with some real analog separate synth line from the Montage M?

Yeah the knobs are from the EX5 so I think it could be a tribute to X-tended synthesis. Maybe ANx & VLx & FDSP!!

Posted : 27/08/2023 12:43 am
Prominent Member

There is a SHOW VALUE selection on the front panel under a button with UTILITY over the button.
https://youtu.be/qbkLhjU00es?t=171

Wouldn't it be nice it that could show the COMPUTED value of a selected parameter with all of the offsets applied?

Any other guesses as to what 'value' that might mean?

Posted : 27/08/2023 2:04 am
david
Reputable Member

I'm guessing that like the Fantom & EX5, level meters, values &/or data will be above each of those encoders underneath the screen and you can dial-in whatever parameter is showing for the application that is being displayed. Fantom was pretty straight forward and logical so if nothing more they have taken a page from the book of Roland.

3 phrases: Work flow, work flow and work flow. What will the work flow look like? Hopefully is far more advanced and lightning fast.

I wouldn't classify barrowing the Genos LED as revolutionary. Or the rotary dials like the EX5, or a screen that appears to be identical to the old one, or less buttons in right but more on left, or a jog type encoder with directional quadrants, same old faders & dials or anything else we are seeing. Revolutionary better be inside there somewhere.

It's also not called a "workstation". I wonder if this unit was an older prototype and as a sick joke they have released these photos. Anything is possible.

Posted : 27/08/2023 2:20 am
Topic starter

Okay, I uploaded the pics to my Drop Box account. I noticed the links show up okay, but you need to click the links to see the images. I followed Jason's instructions, FYI. OTOH, Jason posted a pic of the Yamaha EX-5 without having to click a link to see it. So, I'm doing something wrong, obviously. I tried to put image tag marks on each end of the links to see if that made a difference but still no go. There is a secret sauce that's evaded me thus far. A more detailed instruction would be nice. You can still see the new Yamaha Montage and the pic showing its listing on the Yamaha Singapore Domestic Registration page by clicking the links.

?rlkey=luryy0ouke5dkl05f57s6hfy8&dl=0

?rlkey=y42enhz2ae01sdo8r5uae23xj&dl=0

?rlkey=bhdrwxm4sl5hqyhkz6dk8j3c4&dl=0

Posted : 27/08/2023 4:05 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

The leaks have been posted on every synth forum and facebook group already.

Why this stubborn insistence to also have them posted on Yamaha's official site?

What does one hope to achieve with that?

Posted : 27/08/2023 4:46 pm
Reputable Member

I don't think it is what we might have been waiting for, just what we might get when released.

Posted : 27/08/2023 4:55 pm
david
Reputable Member

Yes you will get it and like it or get the new Fantom later.

Posted : 27/08/2023 5:06 pm
Reputable Member

[quotePost id=122956]Yes you will get it and like it or get the new Fantom later. [/quotePost

No: I am a REAPER enthusiast.
No more digging...Just click, click, click...
But one never knows.

Posted : 27/08/2023 5:20 pm
Topic starter

Okay, I think I figured out how to post images on this forum. This of course is a Yamaha Synth forum, but some forum members might also be interested in Yamaha Arranger keyboards. I have an important piece of information that reveals Yamaha has a Genos2 arranger workstation keyboard in the works. This image is also from the Yamaha Singapore website Warranty Registration page. A Yamaha Genos2 shows up in the list, along with the Montage M synthesizer. Crossing my fingers that the image will post. FWIW, I uploaded the image to postimages.org and used their direct hotlink for website forums.

Posted : 27/08/2023 11:20 pm
Topic starter

Well, how about that. ? Tricks of the trade. ?

Posted : 27/08/2023 11:23 pm
Page 1 / 8
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us