Notifications
Clear all

Is this what we've been waiting for?

108 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member

Yes I think if nothing else were upgraded you can bet on 16 parts under internal control to compete with Fantom. I remember when I used to select several massive voices I could only get maybe 5 or 6 max to play inside a performance before it reached the DSP &/or poly limits. I know others had ways around this limitation but even 8 parts was sometimes not allowed depending on selections. Fantom could play 16 of anything onboard it didn't matter except the Vpiano was limited to slot one and only one selection. Maybe you could play 16 voices but I don't recall the impacts on poly limits. or note stealing. I just sold the dang thing and now they are expanding it again. Fantom 2 is likely in the works after they see Montage M. The Fantom platform is more flexible apparently. One day soon Yamaha will have to make the switch to mostly modeling and MPE/MIDI2 because that yields extraordinary real time results in expression.

Posted : 29/08/2023 5:21 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=122982] Although I think there are more buttons near the mod wheel so
[...]
On the left hand side I only see two knobs. [/quotePost]
The third knob is to the left of the keybed, just above those "more buttons near the modwheel"

Posted : 29/08/2023 5:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe so - I see in the upper-right corer of that area maybe a knob. It's so hard to tell much since the only picture with this area is the blurriest of the set.

I guess (assuming there's a knob there) this could mean that USB level made its way to Montage. Or, of course, it could mean something else. I'd love for it to be a tempo knob but I'm not holding out on a knobby way to increase/decrease tempo that doesn't depend on the DATA DIAL (jog wheel) and also menu in a specific place to allow for this.

I don't have to adjust A/D level and USB levels at the same time (although I could see an application for it - just not high on my list) so I could live with a single knob that needs to be pushed to toggle between two (or more) different levels (or some other way to change the mode of the knob). Level knobs aren't typically shared.

Posted : 29/08/2023 5:46 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=122986]Maybe so - I see in the upper-right corer of that area maybe a knob. It's so hard to tell much since the only picture with this area is the blurriest of the set.[/quotePost]
There is a knob there, and it's very visible in the biggest and sharpest pic of the set (especially if you take the pic and brighten it in Photoshop etc)

Posted : 29/08/2023 6:17 pm
david
Reputable Member

The product registrations have been removed, Montage M, Genos2 etc. and the Singapore site is down.

Posted : 29/08/2023 6:23 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=122986]but I'm not holding out on a knobby way to increase/decrease tempo that doesn't depend on the DATA DIAL (jog wheel) and also menu in a specific place to allow for this.[/quotePost]
There's a new Tap Tempo button under the Data Dial now.

Posted : 29/08/2023 6:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Tap tempo has never been that interesting to me. In the older generations (Motif) there was a tempo knob that I used to do ritardandos at the end of the tune which was useful when I had sequenced lines.

@David:

There's a comment you made on another forum about Genos 2 and how you thought the naming convention deviated from Yamaha has "always" done. This isn't true. Genos is the successor to Tyros. It began with "Tyros". The second generation was called "Tyros 2" and the last Tyros was "Tyros 5". Therefore, Genos 2 seems like a very fitting name which matches exactly what the arranger group has done in the past with their flagship product.

Further reading:
https://pianoandsynth.com/yamaha-tyros-comparison-tyros4-v-tyros3-v-tyros2/

Besides, the "Genos 2" name came from an official source: the Yamaha website. These names require no speculation.

(no longer @David) ...

I think others have asked what the //E thing is. I've seen this in the past. It's not part of the product name but some flag that means something to someone. There are other "//" flags. I'm sure if you asked the warranty department - since it's public information that's been published forever on lots of other products - one could find out what these meant exactly. At any rate - they should not be considered to be any part of the product name.

Posted : 29/08/2023 6:38 pm
 c

[quotePost id=122978][quotePost id=122977]Im sure hardly any of the feature requests we put in for the Montage on Ideascale make it into the new Montage X. From what I can see the surface changes were never suggested by any user on this forum at any time. I wouldn't get too excited about this new Montage otherwise you will be let down when it arrives. [/quotePost]
A lot of very stupid statements in this thread, but this one takes the crown (for now).[/quotePost]

Good deal. I will probably have some more stupid comments when its released. Who knows Yamaha may prove us all wrong and do something amazing.

Posted : 29/08/2023 8:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Cool as a cucumber c.

I think we all have different perspective and certainly if you don't sense ideas you are interested in are being implemented then that can be a let down.

So far it's a little early to tell what's to come and I tend to be optimistic. Certainly, at this moment, the pessimistic view is equally as "right". Time will tell ...

Posted : 29/08/2023 9:10 pm
david
Reputable Member

Ahh yes I was owner of both the Tyros 4 and 5 and Genos and forgot that arrangers use numbers but was thinking in terms of synths. I've blocked arrangers out of my head. Spent fortunes on the expansion packs (probably more than the keyboard cost) and then gave it up for good. Yamaha kind of stopped providing expansion packs or you had to get it from third parties. Not sure why because those were expensive so they should have made money.

Posted : 30/08/2023 12:01 am

@David, why do you keep making statements that are untrue? Not only are Yamaha still making expansion packs, but a lot of them they are giving away for free. I would say that's a nice way for the company to say thanks to their appreciative customers.

Posted : 30/08/2023 4:50 am

I've not posted here for a long time.

I am interested if this FGDP is some sort of evolution of FDSP that was only ever found on the EX5, or whether it is some form of general DSP block to allow the Montage to run different engines like the fabled AN-X (I am a huge AN1x fan).

Whilst FM-X sounds great, I would also like it if they finished the "half an FS1r" job of FM-X and implemented some of the other FS1r features. FSEQ was a little bit of a gimmick given all of the constraints and lack of editor, but it had huge potential and the formant side of the FS1r can create some really nice pads.

Posted : 30/08/2023 7:43 am
david
Reputable Member

@ Chris. I've been buying Yamaha for 30 plus years and bought every "Arranger Expansion" which are very expensive. Not talking about the Montage or free synth expansions but Yamaha did stop making arranger packs (not literally but slowed down to nothing much) and other third parties took it over.

Now that's been a few years back so perhaps Yamaha has released a few since then but in general they charged a premium and at some point slowed down the expansion offerings. I still own most of the older ones but haven't looked at any of them since I sold my Genos.

I bought the Fantom about the same time and Roland had hundreds of Genos type super art voices in their synth all included so I concluded why pay a premium to Yamaha when Roland gives them away in their synth? Yamaha seems to like to separate out these premium voice expansion to mainly the arranger line, the ones that are higher tech super articulation and make you pay for them. Occasionally they trickle down a few into the synth like throwing us a bone. For example the Trumpet gliss or fall used to not be included.

This brings up a good point that to compete with Roland will Yamaha finally include Genos voices inside the Montage M? I don't mean adding 10 but adding hundreds? Fantom has not only super arts but licks and long sample runs and all kinds of options and with me coming from Yamaha after 30 years I'd never heard so many cool things that Yamaha never offers without having to buy their flagship arranger and expensive expansion packs. Let's see what happens on Montage M if they finally wake up to realize Roland knows how to please a crowd. If you think Yamaha gives things away go buy a Fantom, it never ends. I'm not sure how Roland does it but they must have so many customers and the platform is so simple that it is feasible to do. In fact they are releasing a big OS update and more free expansions to compete with the Montage M release.

If I need a workstation I'm buying the Fantom. I don't need a workstation personally I'm going more toward modular these days and true analog but Yamaha will have to pull out all the stops to break even with Roland. Then I can only guess how much further Roland will carry the ball on Fantom2. IF Montage M is MPE/ or at least a poly touch they might pull ahead of Roland.

Posted : 30/08/2023 2:10 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

@david I've been buying from Yamaha for over 33 years. I bought a DX7II-FD and a Montage. So I should get a 'Best Loyal Customer' award or something..!? :p 😀

Posted : 30/08/2023 2:56 pm
Topic starter

Here is a list from the Yamaha Singapore website that up until a day or so ago showed the new Montage M6/M7/M8X, the Genos2 arranger keyboard, and the new Yamaha P-525 keyboard. But now when you search through the list, all three products have been removed. So apparently Yamaha Japan got wind of the leaked information and told the staff at Yamaha Singapore to remove them. Not sure why, because unofficial announcements or information regarding new products is, in my opinion, a win/win situation for both Yamaha and consumers. Since it provides hype and hope that something new is coming down the pipeline, which raises interest and even excitement for musicians world over. I was the one that posted an image that showed the Genos2 on the Yamaha Singapore Customer Warranty Registration page, so perhaps either Phil aka Bad Mister or Blake Angelos saw it and notified the CEO of Yamaha USA, who then notified Yamaha Japan on Monday, once they showed up for work? But the cat is already out of the bag, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Unless Yamaha doesn't want their customers or potential customers to hyperventilate, as to when the Genos2 or the P-525 keyboards might arrive on the scene. Because we already know when the new Montage M series will be officially launched, i.e., in October 2023. Btw, usually after Yamaha launches a new flagship Synth/Workstation keyboard, they usually wait a year or so before they release a new flagship Arranger keyboard. If past is prologue, then the Genos2 might not be released until the end of 2024. Since Yamaha is now utilizing a new product business model in that they've appended the timeline to a longer period of time between new product releases from what I understand. PS: I say that because the new CEO of Yamaha USA has stated that is in fact the new business model. Cheers.

147641 - MODX6+ //E
147642 - MODX7+ //E
147643 - MODX8+ //E
147752 - P-125AB
147753 - P-125AWH
147970 - CK88
147971 - CK61
149017 - P-143B
149018 - P-145B
149019 - P-225B
149020 - P-225WH
149496 - GENOS2 //Y2
149720 - MONTAGE M6 //E
149721 - MONTAGE M7 //E
149722 - MONTAGE M8X //E
149729 - P-525B //Y2
149730 - P-525WH //Y2

https://apps.yamaha.com.sg/WAF/WAFRegisterP1.php9:12 AM 8/30/2023

Posted : 30/08/2023 4:41 pm
Page 3 / 8
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us