Jose
Topic starter

MONTAGE Sayonara

What will the next synth carry? 😮

Jose

Posted : 18/07/2023 7:27 am
 John
Estimable Member

So sad to see a great synth with probably a lot more potential go out with a whimper.

Posted : 18/07/2023 10:43 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

Well, the MONTAGE is not over at all.

The ending of that post makes it clear that MONTAGE is, just like the Motif was, a series of synths and that there is a next gen coming in autumn.

Posted : 18/07/2023 11:04 am
Darryl
Prominent Member

Yeah I agree! It sounds like it might be a Montage+ or something by the wording "the next generation MONTAGE synthesizer is coming in October"..!?

If it were a full replacement synth I would think that they would use the phrase "the next generation Flagship synthesizer" and drop the word Montage...

What finally made them announce this months in advance, since they've known about this for many months past..!?

Posted : 18/07/2023 11:28 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

@Blake , it would be great if you guys would do a farewell Tech Talk, this awesome instrument deserves it.

Posted : 18/07/2023 11:46 am
 Falk

My prediction: double amount of FLASH rom and some new samples, and the AN-X engine.

I think the latter is a pretty obvious prediction given Yamahas trademark registration, https://www.trademarkelite.com/europe/trademark/trademark-detail/018741845/ANX

Posted : 18/07/2023 2:35 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=122501]My prediction: double amount of FLASH rom and some new samples, and the AN-X engine.

I think the latter is a pretty obvious prediction given Yamahas trademark registration, https://www.trademarkelite.com/europe/trademark/trademark-detail/018741845/ANX [/quotePost]
Many have been predicting that for a long time, myself included; However although I'm definitely still leaning towards them adding the AN-X engine, Yamaha have been quite unpredictable in the past year, so who really knows until they reveal in October. I'm done with making predictions myself, but it's interesting if others dare to partake. 😉

If Yamaha do provide the AN-X on a new Montage+ like synth replacement, but don't give existing loyal Montage customers an OS update with that feature, then it will be a complete kick to the head by Yamaha to many existing customers who bought into their new roadmap concept of Ideascale, added/upvoted numerous virtual analog modeling engine ideas (basically AN-X) from almost day 1 after the release in 2016, and Yamaha just give their idea to a new synth replacement. I don't care personally to have the AN-X; however I will feel for those who wanted it all these years, to see Yamaha just give it to new synth owners only, and the loyal customer who gave them the idea are forced to buy a new synth in order to have it...

I personally was "never" under the impression that Ideascale was to provide ideas for future synths, at least not while I added them under a specific category that they provided. My understanding has always been that we add the ideas under the Montage/MODX category for our Montage or MODX synths, not for future synths with slightly different names that we may never own. So it would be completely unfair and wrong of Yamaha to give those ideas for the Montage/MODX to Montage+/MODX+ synths only!! Any thoughts on this @Blake ?

Posted : 18/07/2023 3:09 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

The only thing that keeps me awake is the question "what colour will it be?".
Not worried about the rest, it'll be great.

Posted : 18/07/2023 3:33 pm
 Falk

@ Darryl, well if you compare the timing when e.g. the CK61/CK88 trademarks have been registered (Jun 21) and the actual products have been launched (May 23), the AN-X is completely on the table I'd say.

Regarding further development of existing Montage: it might well be the current Montage is not capable of AN-X hardware-wise. I think there had been some analysis on this on http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

Plus, let's not forget how Yamaha earns its money. All the updates for Montage have been provided for free. They cannot go on like this forever, at some point they have to release a new product to earn some money. They are a hardware company, not a software company.

Posted : 18/07/2023 3:37 pm
 Paul

Before I do or write anything today,

Thank you, Blake!

We appreciate getting the advance information. I'm shopping for an 88 at home and will be waiting and watching.

Thank you, Yamaha!

That felt piano is fabulous.

Thank you, Phil and Blake for all of the deep info you have published about Montage and MODX.

I'm still reading and learning today.

-- pj

Music tech blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

Posted : 18/07/2023 4:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Glad we got these pianos. I've been envious of some of the new sounds in other synth products and happy that some of these have made their way to Montage (classic) at no cost.

I have a habit of skipping generations so I may take a knee for around a decade. We'll see what comes.

Posted : 18/07/2023 4:45 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

[quotePost id=122504]the AN-X is completely on the table I'd say.

Regarding further development of existing Montage: it might well be the current Montage is not capable of AN-X hardware-wise. I think there had been some analysis on this on http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

Plus, let's not forget how Yamaha earns its money. All the updates for Montage have been provided for free. They cannot go on like this forever, at some point they have to release a new product to earn some money. They are a hardware company, not a software company.
[/quotePost]
Yes, I am definitely leaning towards Yamaha likely adding the AN-X in the new replacement Montage+ (or whatever the name it)

I did think about that as a possibility regarding the current Montage hardware not being capable of utilizing AN-X engine, and if that is the case, I would be ok with it in that scenario and I would hope that all those loyal customers who added versions of that idea to Ideascale would also accept that if it is the case. I do realize there are certain hardware limitations and I've read much of Paul's articles.

I would never expect Yamaha to keep providing updates for free, but they should not be taking the ideas we specifically added for our Montage/MODX and providing them only in a future revision of the synth, unless there was a hardware limitation on the current Montage/MODX, which is entirely possible..!

If the Montage is not physically capable to handle a AN-X engine, it would be great if @Blake or someone at Yamaha could provide a general confirmation of this, as I don't think this would say anything about whatever the new replacement synth will have..!?

I don't expect it, but it would be nice since it's been over 3 years if Yamaha were to provide one last OS update for the Montage/MODX synths for all the loyal customers who did contributed ideas, even if it's just for some of the basic/easier ideas we shared on Ideascale...maybe just some new effects.
But regardless, it's been a great ride and I'll keep on riding with the synth I've got, as it does pretty much everything except wash the dishes 😉

Posted : 18/07/2023 5:01 pm

Thank you Yamaha and Phil & Blake in particular.

Posted : 18/07/2023 5:01 pm
 John
Estimable Member

I would gladly pay for an upgrade to my Montage 🙂

Posted : 18/07/2023 5:42 pm
 Paul

[quotePost id=122504]
[/quotePost]

In case anyone missed the analysis, I just posted a short retrospective on my site with links to a few key articles:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-thank-you-for-playing/

In short, oscillator modeling (at the very least) needs some serious DSP. I don't believe the current SWP70 has the capacity. Yamaha tried grafting VA/VL with AWM2, yielding the EX5 with very limited AN/VL voice channels. Reface CS needed a heavier weight SSP2 to do 8 voices, for example. Stay tuned.

BTW, I was drawing another cuppa when I realized, "Yamaha is updating almost every product line this year." Patience is a virtue even if you're looking for a new DP. Expect the unexpected. 😉

All the best to everyone -- pj

Posted : 18/07/2023 5:59 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us