FEG/AEG parameter from Quick Edit menu

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Axel
Topic starter

Hi,

another question on the effects of parameters:

In the menu "Performance -> Motion Control -> Quick Edit" one can change parameters regarding FEG (Attack, Decay, Release) and AEG (ADSR), either related to Common or a specific Part.

But there is not "the Part's FEG or AEG", but envelopes per Element (for an AWM part). Does this mean that if I set parameter "AEG attack for Part 1" (as an example) that in effect it manipulates "Amplitute -> Amp EG -> Attack Time" for each of the Part's Elements?

And which parameter is effected by "AEG Sustain" from the Quick Edit? The Element's AEG Decay 2 Level, I guess?

Thank you
Axel

Posted : 15/07/2023 1:07 pm
Prominent Member

But there is not "the Part's FEG or AEG", but envelopes per Element (for an AWM part).
Does this mean that if I set parameter "AEG attack for Part 1" (as an example) that in effect it manipulates "Amplitute -> Amp EG -> Attack Time" for each of the Part's Elements?

Pretty good guess - especially if you remember those two words I told you in your other thread:

HIERARCHY and OFFSET

Everything above the lower level is an OFFSET to a value on that lower level.

A part OFFSET affects all included lower level elements
A performance OFFSET affects all included parts which then affect all of there included lower elements

NOTE: the upper level offsets do NOT change what you see on the screen for the lower level values - they just get added/subtracted during play.

See page 30 of the Reference doc where the Quick Edit description is

Attack (AEG Attack Time)
Determines the speed of attack from the time a key is played until the maximum initial level of the AEG
is reached. This parameter determines the offset value of the AEG (page 110, page 129, page 143) for
the Element/Drum Key/Operator.
Settings: -64 – +63

See where it says 'determines the offset value ... for the Element/Drum Key/Operator'?

And which parameter is effected by "AEG Sustain" from the Quick Edit? The Element's AEG Decay 2 Level, I guess?

See? Your 'guessing' is getting better and better. If you REALLY want to get good I suggest you take the time to do some tests so your ears can help you figure things out.

1. INIT NORMAL (AWM2)
2. Look at the Deday 2 Level value for the one element - it is at 127
3. Play and hold Middle C - count how long it takes for the sound to die
4. Change the value to 0 - count again - see how much quicker the sounds dies?
5. Now leave the value at 0 and go to the quick edit screen
6. Play and hold Middle C to verify the sound dies quickly
7. Change the sustain value from the default 0 to +63
8. Play and hold Middle C to hear the sound die slowly again

Cause and Effect? I think so.

You can just as easily set up tests for your 'parts don't have FEGs or AEGs' question:

1. INIT NORMAL (AWM2)
2. set up the element with a MAX AEG/FEG value
3. add a second element - select element 1 and shift edit to copy it.
4. now disable the second element and twiddle the quick edit value for the parameter - did the sound change for the element?
4. now enable the second element, disable the first element and twiddle the quick edit value for the value - did the sound change for the element?

I find it easier to isolate an effect if you reduce things to the SIMPLEST possible test case. It also helps to use EXTREME values to make it easier to hear a change. Volume is one of the easier changes to hear because the difference between MIN and MAX is substantial.

But then I'm one of those that Bad Mister might refer to as 'the blind leading the blind' - LOL!

Posted : 15/07/2023 6:39 pm
 Axel
Topic starter

Thank you! I did the tests and everything is glass-clear now.

Posted : 17/07/2023 9:02 am
Prominent Member

You are not alone. Bad Mister keeps hammering me with 'try it' because sometimes I ask questions when I should have spent more time trying to find things out for myself.

Sometimes the biggest issue is knowing the BEST way to set up a test - it isn't easy to eliminate a lot of the side effects and isolate the one thing you want to test.

Don't hesitate to keep asking questions since there are others that will have the same questions. You do a really good job of providing detailed info about what you want to know and what you are trying and that helps a lot.

Posted : 17/07/2023 5:38 pm
Bad Mister

[quotePost id=122490]You are not alone. Bad Mister keeps hammering me with 'try it' because sometimes I ask questions when I should have spent more time trying to find things out for myself.

Sometimes the biggest issue is knowing the BEST way to set up a test - it isn't easy to eliminate a lot of the side effects and isolate the one thing you want to test.

Don't hesitate to keep asking questions since there are others that will have the same questions. You do a really good job of providing detailed info about what you want to know and what you are trying and that helps a lot.

[/quotePost]I highly recommending studying single Element programs (when working with AWM2)… they simply make it so much easier to *hear* what you are doing (when isolated). Because a Part can have as many as 8 Elements simultaneously, it can be hard to focus on a single parameter you are changing.

It can be helpful to learn how to use the various Mute/Solo Functions to isolate exactly what you are working on. If you are working on a MULTI Part Performance, learn to isolate the Part and Element component you are working on.

Say you are building a string sound, you might study the Single Part (single Element) Performance called “Ens Mix” — this particular string orchestra Element consists of violins, violas, cellos, and contrabasses mapped across the entire range providing an entire stereo string orchestra ensemble in a single Element. (You may find this particular Waveform built into many MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+ string orchestra sounds).

Say you are building a synth sound from a Sawtooth wave sample… for example, a
simple one Element sound. Say it uses a Waveform from the geometric Wave category "Wv:P5 SawDown 0dg" This is a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 SawTooth Down sample - the "0 dg" is the phase orientation of the source sample - "dg" short for degrees. This can account for subtle movement within the Voice, by simply combining two Waveforms with different phase relationship, without necessarily "detuning" the oscillator.

Experimenting with the Envelope Generators (Time / Level parameters) will be so much clearer to hear when scores of other components are not also being heard.

Use this Sawtooth wave to build synth strings, synth brass, keyboard/chromatic percussion, synth pads, etc., etc. you should be able to build scores and scores of instrument sounds from this same exact Waveform.

Posted : 22/07/2023 11:20 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us