Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Some current Montage users/owners are pretty upset, kicking the dog...

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So since Yamaha sort of pulled the Montage plug on customers who may have just purchased a new Montage, why not offer a voucher or coupon offering a considerable discount to purchase the replacement if they decide that's the right option for them personally?

I assume this happens with every turnover in product line but for example if you've only had your new Montage for 3 years or less they could offer a graduated scale discount because it is dirty to "rob" your customers because you didn't announce a transition until the 11th hour. Perhaps the new unit is so different they don't want to trade up or over. Won't know until specifications are released, availability, form factors and cost.

None of us knew until yesterday if anything was going to happen, sure we suspected, but that's not knowing for certain. I'm not sure offering a severance package was helpful unless some want to keep their Montage then I'm sure they liked it. I was thinking what might Yamaha do to make amends if someone does want to upgrade or slide over.

Not knowing is a big complaint of mine, I bailed out previously so I'm not personally impacted, but I feel the pain of others. Yamaha is typically sympathetic so perhaps they can work out a deal for those really wanting to convert. Another unknown until we know is how devalued will the current Montage become? If you can't sell it for much more than a MODX+, well, hopefully you can still sell it but the MODX+ is fairly comparable and perhaps more appealing to some which is bad for the Montage resale value.

I propose you could retain your Montage for a few more years until they update and repair the MONTAGE+ because we know something won't be right on it IF it's considerably different. Not so much if it's similar. Still all depends on what it coming. I'm on the pre-pre-order list so I should be one of the first If I decide to get one. Probably will under the return period because I love investigating new gear and roasting &/or praising it. Mine will be the smallest form factor 61 I assume. I don't need anymore keys unless they offer some high tech new MPE super key system. IF it's too complex I'll probably return it. As I age I'm only interested in total simplicity for example the Osmose is far from not complex with respect to programming voices however use is as simple as it gets using your fingers as each key envelop. Both hands on the keys and incredible expression is a beautiful thing.

I can only speculate as to the "twist" if it's another Montage. Yamaha always adds a twist such as the super knob. Could it actually have an authentic analog section inside? Would be expensive but how cool to have partitioned hardware interfaces such as YC organ variant w/FMx, AWM2 and true analog laid out like the YC/CK controls both one-to-one plus touch screen UI? All capable of simultaneous and/or independent performance. I'd be keeping that but certainly not something everyone could afford. You still have the Montage & MODX+ for other purposes.

Posted : 19/07/2023 6:39 pm

This has to be the dumbest post I've read today. 🙂 You know with your wealth of knowledge and business acumen you should really start your own multi-national music company. I know I for one would be very interested in the product(s) your company produced. 😀 . Of course this is just my most humble opinion. 🙁

Posted : 19/07/2023 7:07 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

You are obviously a spammer or bot however logic would suggest that if I'm also the only post you've read today mine is likewise the most brilliant too. Glass half full!

Posted : 19/07/2023 9:30 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Imagine that. Buying a keyboard that has been manufactured for 4 years and then getting mad 3 years later when it is discontinued.

Damn technology! /sarc

Keeping up with the latest thing has NEVER been a cheap endeavor.

Posted : 19/07/2023 10:04 pm
david
Reputable Member
Topic starter

That's why I limited my voucher years suggestion to about 3 and because it takes 3 years to figure how to use the dang thing.

Posted : 19/07/2023 10:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us