Notifications
Clear all

KDB CTRL change via SCENEs Buttons

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Sergio
Topic starter

After much research and attempts I finally got a way to use the scene buttons to change the KBD CTRL of the parts of a performance.

It requires some programming work but then it is easy to adjust the settings as needed.

What I did was this:

1: Know the sys ex data for the KDB CTRL of the parts
2: Know the sys ex data for the SCENES buttons
3: Converts via midi software the data collected from the scenes buttons to turn on or off the KBD CTRL of the parts.

In short, that's it. I ran several tests and everything working perfectly.

Application example:

SCENE 1 = KBD CTRL "ON" - Parts 1,2,3 .... remaining "off"
SCENE 2 = KBD CTRL "ON" - Parts 4.5 ........... remaining "off"

Another example:

SCENE 1 = KBD CTRL ON - Part 1 (Piano) .............. remaining "off"
SCENE 2 = KBD CTRL ON - Part 2 (Rhodes) .............. remaining "off"
SCENE 3 = KBD CTRL ON - Part 3 (Synth) .............. remaining "off"
SCENE 4 = KBD CTRL ON - Part 4 (Strings) .............. remaining "off"

Remembering that changes of sounds in this way happen uncut. Different from mute / unmute mode.

It is worth venturing.

Posted : 22/05/2018 12:52 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Right - with a PC lots of things are possible.

Posted : 22/05/2018 5:38 am
Sergio
Topic starter

Not necessarily just on the PC, I'm using an iPad to do the conversions. It has apps dedicated to Midi data management that can do this task very simply.

Posted : 22/05/2018 1:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Guess I over personalized that (no iPad here and Android devices are not supported). Rephrase: With a computer, lots of things are possible. Computers including tablets, watches, phones, servers, desktops, etc. Some external device which has a port which Montage is happy communicating with and has software to speak the protocol.

I happen to be in the camp, by choice (not by feasibility limits), of a user who will not gig with a computer. I may have a different perspective if Android had better support. This is where you're at and happen to have a supported tablet device.

Part of the rationale of purchasing Yamaha's MIDI/Bluetooth adapter was to bring Android into the fold. People turn their nose up over bluetooth latency -- but I'm not sure they have the complete context of what it would be best used for -- control automation such as what you've outlined. I'm still somewhat against depending on wireless which makes the current Android route an "almost" non-starter. I'll have to experiment more down the line.

Posted : 22/05/2018 7:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us