Notifications
Clear all

Loading XS sound sets into the Montage

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Peter
Topic starter

I have a Motif XS6 (and will be keeping it), I've heard that it will be possible to load the collection of sound sets which I have bought for the XS into the Montage provided they are converted to XF format first.
Is this true and how would one go about that (I have John Melas librarian) - step by step.

Posted : 15/04/2016 12:56 pm
Bad Mister

Compatibility with the MOTIF XS

The voices of Yamaha’s MOTIF XS synthesizers can be loaded into the MONTAGE by using MOTIF XF Editor VST software (free). Only Voices that are based on the MOTIF XS’s internal waveforms can be read, so Voice files created using user samples cannot be loaded. The steps for loading a Voice file are as follows.

_Save the Voice data in the MOTIF XS. Select either All Files (.X0A) or All Voice Files (.X0V) as the file save format.
_Import the saved file using MOTIF XF Editor VST.
_Save the imported file using MOTIF XF Editor VST. Use the file extension .X3E.
_Load the saved .X3E file into the MONTAGE via USB flash memory.

If you have custom Waveform and Samples included in your Motif XS data, the John Melas Waveform Editor could be used to import your XS data, and save (export) it in Motif XF format. (.X3A). The Montage will then be able to load the XF data directly.

Articles with step-by-step instructions will be available as we get closer to the actual ship date of the instrument. Be sure to check the Montage RESOURCES area here on YamahaSynth.com

Posted : 15/04/2016 1:30 pm
Peter
Topic starter

Thank you Phil, much appreciated

Posted : 16/04/2016 6:41 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member

Phil, I have converted most of my "good" stuff from my XS to the Montage successfully. The one bub-a-boo I'm having is getting an organ sound with functioning drawbars.

The XS has several internal presets (voices) where the sliders control the Hammond-like drawbars. These same presets (eg. All Bars Perc AF 1&2 - Pre 1, G 02) do not function as working drawbars in the Montage. That's disappointing. Is there some key to making them "work right"? (I have other examples too) I realize from the above that User presets won't work, but the internal ones should.

Thanks!

Posted : 29/06/2016 5:52 pm
Bad Mister

The XS has several internal presets (voices) where the sliders control the Hammond-like drawbars. These same presets (eg. All Bars Perc AF 1&2 - Pre 1, G 02) do not function as working drawbars in the Montage.

Well of course they do. It could be that Montage is new to you.

A close look at the left front panel will show you that the Faders take on three different roles:
Fader 1-8 can be used as level controls for "PART 1-8", "PART 9-16" or "Element/Operator"

You have to select the right function to change them from Part Volumes, to a Element Volumes. If you think you know your XS, then you already know how to do this. You want the Faders to be Element Level controls. Call up any of the program's you mention, let's use: "All Bars Perc AF"

From the HOME screen.
Press [PART SELECT 1/1]
Now instead of the Knobs and Faders controlling the "Common" level where the Faders are Part Volumes, by selecting Part 1, the Faders are now individual Element Levels. That's what you are looking for.

A close inspection of your screen will also point out the change in what's controlled... The Common or Part.

Posted : 01/07/2016 5:51 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us