Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

M8X - Keyboard AT Mode parameter means just that - keyboard level and NOT part level

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

On another forum there was some discussion about Poly AT (polyphonic aftertouch) and whether you could have Poly and Channel aftertouch at the same time.

The Keyboard AT Mode parameter setting applies to the performance and NOT to individual parts.

That parameter is available at the performance level on the Edit -Control -> After Touch screen as well as
at the part level on the Edit -> Part -> Mod / Control -> After Touch screen.

There is only ONE parameter so no matter what screen you set the parameter on it will have that value for the performance and all
parts. If you change it on a part edit screen you will find it has changed on the performance edit screen and the screens of all other
parts.

Only posting as an FYI - not suggesting there is any problem or issue.

See the operations manual
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/2172442/MONTAGE-M_OM_En_v111_A0_web.pdf

Page 243 shows the performance common edit screen and the Keyboard AT Mode parameter
Page 291 shows the parameter on the part edit screen (take note of the 'Tx / Rx Switch' tab below the 'After Touch' tab)

Only the M8X model supports generation of Poly AT by the keyboard.
All models support receiving, and tone generation, of Poly AT via midi.

Page 294 shows the part edit 'Tx / Rx Switch' screen. Note the CAT and PAT switches in the first row.

These switches control whether this part (not the performance) can RECEIVE CAT (channel AT) and/or PAT (Poly AT)
MIDI messages.

So although the Keyboard AT parameter controls the type of AT you get when you play keys of ANY part on the keyboard the Tx/Rx switches control whether each part, individually, can receive CAT and/or PAT MIDI messages.

CAVEAT: I have NOT tested combinations of AT settings when the keyboard is set one way but the Tx/Rx switches are set differently.

Posted : 30/10/2023 7:40 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=124162]
See the operations manual
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/2172442/MONTAGE-M_OM_En_v111_A0_web.pdf

Page 243 shows the performance common edit screen and the Keyboard AT Mode parameter
Page 291 shows the parameter on the part edit screen (take note of the 'Tx / Rx Switch' tab below the 'After Touch' tab)[/quotePost]
The reason for the new manual having a different layout and hyperlinks to the one for the previous generation is that the manual is now also available online (and I suspect the PDF is generated from the same document).
https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/synth/montage_m/en/

This in turn has the advantage that one can link directly to parts of the docs when discussing online.

It should work better that indicating pages in a PDF document.

The pages above:
https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/synth/montage_m/en/om02screenparameters0060.html#link35

https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/synth/montage_m/en/om02screenparameters0080.html#link23

Posted : 30/10/2023 9:03 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The reason for the new manual having a different layout and hyperlinks to the one for the previous generation is that the manual is now also available online (and I suspect the PDF is generated from the same document).

I appreciate the tio about the online doc. Personally I don't use docs like that online.

I will say that I find the new PDF format so very hard to use compared to the previous pdf format that I posted an IdeaScale about it and ask them to go back to the old format.

The old PDF doc had a detailed table of contents with every entry being a link.

And almost every page had a sidebar menu with items and sub-items and each of those was a link directly to that section.

The new PDF has a lot of things underlined but that aren't links and you can't click on them to go to the topic. Hmmm - maybe I forgot to click my heels three times.

Posted : 30/10/2023 10:22 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=124164]
I appreciate the tio about the online doc. Personally I don't use docs like that online.

I will say that I find the new PDF format so very hard to use compared to the previous pdf format that I posted an IdeaScale about it and ask them to go back to the old format.
[/quotePost]
I do agree that the new PDF is harder to navigate.

But I do think that having an online version is a good thing.

For the particular purpose of discussing in a forum, inserting a direct link to the relevant documentation is much more useful than pointing to page numbers in a PDF that needs to be downloaded.

I also see the online version has a bookmarks section, interesting to see how that would be used.

Posted : 31/10/2023 7:13 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Two steps forward, three steps back ...

I agree that the new online manual has its benefits. Not only can you link to sections but you can also use images directly as inline images here. Before most of my "official" images came from articles posted here where direct image links were available.

The online version search is wonky. It puts you back to google which does the search heavy lifting. The search doesn't seem to work as well as a PDF search. Not that I want Yamaha to spend a lot of time on this - but it would be preferable to have the online manual somehow invoke some javascript to do its own search that was as good as the PDF search. Searching is the main reason why I personally prefer the PDF to the online version.

I do think that the links PDFs can have that jump to different pages could be automagically handled by an HTML to PDF conversion utility. They're already using something. Maybe or maybe not it can already handle this and, if not, they need to look into a different application.

In the meantime, feel free to use whatever references (to the references) you want. PDF, online. It's all good.

Posted : 31/10/2023 5:31 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=124173]
I do think that the links PDFs can have that jump to different pages could be automagically handled by an HTML to PDF conversion utility. They're already using something.[/quotePost]
They're using Adobe FrameMaker and generate for various targets (HTML & PDF) from the same content.

Posted : 31/10/2023 6:02 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us