Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

M8X - need more control assignments? You can now have 32 (up from 16) per part and 32 common

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Havent' seen it mentioned but there are now 32 control assignments available for each part and another 32 for performance common.

Undoubtedly someone will complain that there are 40 control sources but a part can only use 32 of them - what's up with that!

Seriously though, this is a significant increase since one source can now have 32 destinations. The previous limit was 16. That increase
strongly suggests a significant increase in horsepower under the hood to be able to effect all of those changes in real time.

Let's see that is 16 parts times 32 assigns or 512 and that doesn't take into account the 32 assigns at the common level that might be controlling one or more of the lower level knob sets.

Tests show that the destination numbers appear to remain unchanged when you delete assignments and then add new ones. That is:

1. create 3 destination assignments with #3 to part 4 volume.
2. delete destination 1 or 2
3. destination assign;ments will shift down leaving no gaps but the destination numbers do NOT change - once you assign something to
destination 3 it will always be destination 3 no matter how many other destinations you create or delete.

Maybe someone with a Montage/Modx can share if destination number assignments worked the same way before.

Please create a thread and post your results once you have tried ALL possible combinations!

Also noticed that the 'Controller Overview' functionality is no longer available - or I just haven't found it yet. I'm referring to the screen shown on page 28 of the Montage reference manual that shows lines from the wheels, switches and parts with switches you could use for 'Controller', 'Assignable', 'Fader', and 'Super Knob' to see a particular part's controller connectionks or those of common.

Posted : 06/11/2023 5:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, I noticed this immediately along with a lot of other things. Doubling the amount of control assignments is a big deal. The addition of 16x the elements sort of pulls for bigger numbers for the rest of the system - but 32 is a good start.

The initial reaction was that it was crazy for me to frame 16 destinations as a "limitation". However, I think over the years others have run into real world cases where they couldn't add as many destinations as they wanted and then had to juggle resources or drop functionality.

Destination numbering (1-16), if I understand your description correctly, works the same with MODX/Montage Classic.

Posted : 06/11/2023 7:02 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Destination numbering (1-16), if I understand your description correctly, works the same with MODX/Montage Classic.

That's good to know.

What I was trying to say was that you can't choose what destination number you want; you will get the lowest available number. But once you get that number it is yours to keep until you delete that assignment. Then you can't get that same number back again until it becomes the lowest available number.

Posted : 06/11/2023 7:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That's how it works. Same way memory allocation behavior for everything else in the keyboard. It takes work to reshuffle the numbers and shuffling serves no real benefit. Even in a linked list where the memory locations don't change but indexes do - you still have to do extra work to update the indexes after deletion of a node.

Posted : 06/11/2023 7:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us