Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

M8X - want 3 performances with the same name? Now you can do that!

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Doing a 3rd test but accidentally used the name 'test2' instead of 'test3' when I was saving it.

Thought I had wiped out the old 'test2' performance but to my surprise I now had TWO performances with the same name!

1. loaded my 'test2' performance
2. modified it for a 3rd test
3. used 'Store' and was presented with two choices: overwrite current or store as new - see the screen here
https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/synth/montage_m/en/om02screenparameters0390.html
4. chose 'new' but it defaults to the current name which was 'test2'
5. selected 'done' and it dutifully said 'completed'. There was NO message about the name being the same

Except I now had TWO copies of my test2 performance. Two in category search, Two in the utilities performance folder.

Each copy had a different PC number assigned even though the performance name was the same.

I was able to save several more, slightly modified, copies using the same performance name and each one got their own PC number.
That indicates to me that the system is treating them as different entities even though they have the same name.

Maybe someone can test on the Montage and report what happens there.

Posted : 06/11/2023 6:24 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think this works the same on the old system. There was a suggestion to detect same names and warn before saving - but I guess that didn't get added.

Posted : 06/11/2023 7:03 pm
Bad Mister

If you are too lazy to give a file a new name (you are given that opportunity when you press [STORE]), make sure you sort your future searches by “DATE” - which places them in the order or reverse order that they were made (depending on the arrow). Or sort the search by “Default” which list them in the order they appear in the User Bank.

_ Only if you elect to overwrite the previous User location are you not given a chance to reName your Performance. It simply stores the edited data under the original name.
_ If you choose to write to a new location you are taken immediately to the NAME screen (a stronger hint to act cannot be given)!
_ New: If you edit a Performance that is to be/or already is linked to a Live Set slot, you are given the options to
“Store as New Perf and Register” _ if you just created the Performance
“Overwrite Current Perf. and Register” _ if you’re working with a previous User Perf.
“Register without Storing” _ you know you’ve already stored it

Extra Credit:
If you Capture your Performances in the Soundmondo App as you create them, the iOS device will automatically add a number indicating duplicate Names if, again, you are too lazy to change the name yourself. The first duplicate adds a “(1)” to the name, the second duplicate adds a “(2)” to the name. And so on…

Not only does it add the number to your Name in the App, it will send it back to the MONTAGE M with the version number included in the name.

Posted : 06/11/2023 8:23 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

If you are too lazy to give a file a new name

LOL!

Laziness had NOTHING to do with it.

As I mentioned I chose to store it as a new peformance and thought I had changed the name but I actually hadn't. When testing I just use names like 'Test 27' or whatever the number is. Makes them easier to log and
to find again than having radically different names. Saying 'hey John, check out number 24 and tell me what you think' is a lot easier to make sure they sync to the right one than using an actual name.

This post is just to make people aware that of the issue of it not working the way they might expect and of the potential for grabbing the wrong performance if they accidentally do what I did. If they use identical names intentionally then that is on them.

No 'hackles' to be raised with this one! But that doesn't mean I'm making any promises about the next one.

Posted : 06/11/2023 9:07 pm
Bad Mister

But you did see the option to NAME your work? If you take the time to work on it, you owe it to yourself to Name it …as you would a child or a pet. You wouldn’t forget to name them? Lol

Besides I seriously recommend using Soundmondo to store each version.
Easier to access
Automatically numbers them
Much less confusing than doing it as you are doing it.
Just saying…

Posted : 06/11/2023 9:12 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

But you did see the option to NAME your work?

Think about it - and you will realize that you MUST 'name' your work. You can't save it without providing a name.

If you take the time to work on it, you owe it to yourself to Name it

To each his own - and for each according to their own requirements.

Going to a gig? Creating a performance for actual use in a music environment? Then by all means use a name that has meaning. Using automated scripts/code to create hundreds or thousands of performances? Using 'names' as you suggest is just utter nonsense.

You are overlooking the most basic tenet of analysis - tailor the solution to the problem.

Working in a lab? Doing software tests? Logging bug reports? Creating primary key links between database tables? Numbers are used for those. Nobody in their right mind would EVER consider using 'names'.

I challenge you to try to come up with tens, hundreds or even thousands of unique, meaningful 'names'.
Wrong solution to the problem.

Incredibly easy to come up with millions, billions, trillions unique numbers. Right solution for the problem when large numbers of entities are involved.

T1, T2, T837296 - numbers sort easily using the simples of systems. That makes it easy, and quick, to find the one you want, easy to link things together: a file of test results for test # T837296. Find that test in a list of tests. Pull that test data from a database table.

Trying to use wildly varying names for that type of data storage is just insane.

You and I clearly live in different worlds. There is no 'one size fits all'.

Tailor the solution to the problem.

Posted : 06/11/2023 9:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

In "the lab" I use a small name (like "a" ) then add a number to it.

a1
a2
a3
a4
a9999999999999999999

(although I never have that many).

This is fairly simple to script although I assign these manually. And take notes (sideband to the instrument) to detail what each experiment is for. Each Performance is often a 1-parameter change from the previous Performance.

Even though you can save yourself from shooting yourself in the foot (i.e. just don't do it) - I'd rather have some safety features to make sure foot shooting only happens when you actually want a bullet through it.

Posted : 07/11/2023 12:08 am

Hi, if you haven't found the answer yet, I think you can go to our website https://www.heisener.com/ to make a consultation, there are professional customer service to help you solve any problem you have.

Posted : 08/11/2023 7:10 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us