Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

montage 6M Midi to Daw back to Montage to ton generator local off (Midi rec on DAW) utilities not the same as the manual

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Topic starter

spelling mistake in title it would not let me edit it
So i am new to Montage series so still on learning curve, want to send midi over USB in this case Cubase 13,
no issues got that working and can record Midi data as normal in the DAW
now want the midi data recorded on a track to play the montage, so checked manual and it says select, "Midi record on DAW" in quick set up menu
easy so i did and this turns "local off" no key bed, so midi out to DAW back again to play montage pre-sets without double notes pretty standard
but in the manual it gives a diagram basically saying send out on midi channel 1 to one track and receive back on channel 3 on another track hmm this don't sound right so i tried to do this, went to utilities, settings, Midi I/O, there is a diagram there that shows key bed disabled, good correct, but midi in and out is the same channel 1
so tried to change midi channel out to 3, but it changed input and output to same channel, so put it back to midi channel 1
so confused went to Cubase set a Midi track up, no plug in, set input to Midi Ch 1 played keyboard got input, tick
set midi output to 2- Montage M-1, got an output an it played the Montage, tick
ok so i can now record midi data and it plays back the montage
so now need to record the audio in real time too, as the midi data is playing, so couple of ways
so set up an audio track on 2, input stereo, so got audio coming in from the montage, but double playing, so disables output from this audio track
so not got midi data track one playing montage, and recording audio into track 2 all in real time, so result
also i switched input monitoring, on both channels
so hence my confusion with want i did which was much easier, to what the manual told me to do, in which i was unable to do
so interested to hear for you more experienced guys what the issue is here

Posted : 07/11/2023 1:33 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Don't change the MIDI settings on Montage.

In the manual where you're describing this the picture above shows why it transmits back to channel 3. It's because you select the track (in Cubase) associated with MIDI channel 3. If you do not have Cubase setup to show different tracks for different MIDI channels - then that's where you need to do your setup.

Notice the picture shows "MIDI 03" is selected and armed to record and monitor (the red circle is ON and the orange speaker is ON). The other tracks have these turned off.

The documentation isn't trying to say that always the DAW will send back to Channel 3. It's just one example of the MIDI routing possible whereby the selection of track in the DAW will send back MIDI to one channel corresponding with that selected track's MIDI (output) channel number.

Puts you in the general area of the manual page you're referencing:
https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/synth/montage_m/en/om01basicoperation0310.html#link07

Posted : 07/11/2023 3:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us