Notifications
Clear all

M8X - Assign Sources don't always display the correct source - Chordz 2 Chill 2

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Turns out the bug I thought was in my Java code isn't in my code at all.

I've been testing my Java code using the 'Chordz 2 Chill 2' performance. Current tests are to be able to print out
the common controller assignments - to be followed soon by the part controller assignments.

I've loaded the controller source (40 entries) and destination (400 entries) as shown on pages 193-199 of the data list doc.

The bulk dumps store an index value of 0-39 for the controller source and a value of 0 (OFF) or 1-400 for the controller destination parameter.
All 32 possible common controller records are present in a dump but the unused entries will have a value of 0 if the entry is unused and a value of 1 for the used entries.

The Data List lookup tables can then be used as a 'lookup' value to the lookup tables in the data list doc to identify the controller by name.

This is what my code was producing. Note that it lists only 6 records (ON/OFF value is a 1) - the other 26 records were set to OFF:

Dest NO.,On/Off,Source,Destination
0,1,Assignable Knob 1,Part 1 Assignable Knob 1
1,1,Assignable Knob 2,Part 1 Assignable Knob 3
2,1,Assignable Knob 2,Part 5 Assignable Knob 2
3,1,Assignable Knob 3,Part 1 Assignable Knob 4
4,1,Assignable Knob 3,Part 5 Assignable Knob 4
5,1,Modulation Wheel,Master Effect Parameter 1

As you can see my code was reporting destination #6 (5 in the data 6 on the screen - a zero-based value) as 'Modulation Wheel' since the actual data value was '1'.

When I checked the above data on the 'Edit Common -> Control -> Control Assign' screen everything checked except the last row:
'AsgnKnob 3' as the source and 'Mfx Break' as the destination'.

I assumed my code got something wrong. But testing showed that the screen was reporting the wrong assign source. More on that later.

The destination showed as 'Mfx Break' on the screen but as 'Master Effect Parameter 1' in the data list lookup table.

Using the Navigation button and then selecting MFX takes you directly to the 'Edit -> Common -> Effect -> Master FX' screen - GREAT!

That screen shows the effect Type as 'Vinyl Break' and the preset as 'Fast'. Back to the data list page 168 for the Vinyl Effect parameter list and, sure enough the 1st parameter is named 'Break' and has an ON/OFF value set. My code needs to add that chain of lookups somehow.

Back to the source problem.

Testing various things with the assignments I got the correct ModWheel source to appear for destination 6. Lucy has some 'splainin' to do!
1. Chordz 2 Chill 2
2. Navigation button - select Controller - you're gonna love the new navigation - but it takes some getting used to
3. Change the Display Filter to All using the display filter knob (or do it the old way and scroll thru a bunch of stuff until 'All' at the end
4. go to page 2 and notice the source for destination 6 is 'AsgnKnob 3' the same as destination 5
5. hit the plus sign to add destination 7 and then go back and select destination 6
6. now the surce lists as ModWheel.

Don't know specifically what the needed conditions are. Could be because dest 6 was the last dest in the list or could be something else altogether.

I'm just glad my Java code was correctly reporting things. Well, except it just said 'Parameter 1' instead of the real parameter name.
But that's for another day.

Posted : 07/11/2023 1:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us