Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

M8X - What do the Key Controller Box records (1 per part) correspond to on the screens?

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The 'PERFORMANCE PART' overview list on page 211 shows:

1. 1p 00 09 00 - Key Controller Box
2. 1p 05 bb 00 - Controller 1 – 32 [p: Part No. (0…15), bb: Controller Box No. (0…32)]

The second one above represents the 32 control assignments you can make for each part and corrresponds in structure to this listing in the PERFORMANCE COMMON list above:

3. 06 05 bb 00 - Common/AD Controller Box 1 – 32 [bb: Controller Box No. (0…31)]

But what do the records for Key Controller Box represent? The actual detail structure is shown on page 234 and shows there is one record per part.
The record for a part contains 4 sets of 8 identical parameters and each set is NEARLY identical to the parameters for the Controller Box record which has 9 parameters.

The only difference is that the Key Controller Box data does NOT have a Controller Source parameter. The other 8 parameters are the same, and in the same order, as those in the Controller Box records.

So there is 1 'Key Controller Box' record per part and up to 32 'Controller Box' records per part.

I'm puzzled as to what the 'Key Controller Box' record for a part represents since it appears to contain 4 possible destinations but no source.

Posted : 07/11/2023 3:05 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

1p 00 09 00 - Key Controller Box

When you navigate around your Montage M - you'll see in the Part edit that there's a separate screen for "After Touch" vs "Control Assign". I am assuming that "Key Controller Box" means the destinations associated with aftertouch (and maybe just polyphonic aftertouch). There's a limit of 4 destinations here.

Posted : 07/11/2023 4:12 am
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I am assuming that "Key Controller Box" means the destinations associated with aftertouch (and maybe just polyphonic aftertouch). There's a limit of 4 destinations here.

Thanks! You nailed it.

Part 6 of that 'CHORDZ 2 CHILL 2' perf I've been working is an AN-X part and uses Poly AT for the OSC Pitch LFO. I found that record in the dump file once you pointed me to it. I haven't gotten that far exploring the dump stuff with my Java code - I'm still focusing on the bigger, harder to find stuff.

Those 4 are available for either Poly or Channel. The AT is at the performance level - you can change it on a part AT screen but it changes it for the perf and thus all parts.

Good find. Would have been easier if they had labeled it AT controller box.

Posted : 07/11/2023 4:37 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Channel aftertouch previously used up a destination (one of the previously 16). Now if there's a separate 4 then maybe CAT doesn't (have to) eat up any of the now 32 destinations which would stretch your destination dollar further.

Posted : 07/11/2023 4:31 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Channel aftertouch previously used up a destination (one of the previously 16). Now if there's a separate 4 then maybe CAT doesn't (have to) eat up any of the now 32 destinations which would stretch your destination dollar further.

That's an interesting, but also confusing, point.

The 'Mod Control -> Control Assign' screen still shows 'Ch AT'as a source even if the global AT setting is Poly.

But on the new 'Mod Control -> After Touch' screen the 'Source' is pre-defined as 'Poly AT'.

Yet at the top is shows 'Keyboard AT Mode' with a choice of 'Poly' or 'Channel' and that is just what it says: 'keyboard' - or global, not part.

So you can change the global AT setting to Poly or Channel but on the new 'After Touch' screen the locked in source is 'Poly AT' with 4 destinations possible.

To use CAT as a source you have to do it the old fashioned way and eat up one of the 32.

If the keyboard is set to Poly AT but you have a control assign source of CAT does that mean that the parts you play on the keyboard have Poly AT available but that control assign will only be effective if an external device sends MIDI that includes CAT?

Posted : 07/11/2023 6:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That was my assumption that CAT is handled the same way - but used your previous feedback to say that CAT would be assigned as sources in the new "After Touch" screen. That there's just a shortcut to change this setting and otherwise the screen (destinations) are only for Polyphonic Aftertouch is more in line with what I guessed to begin with.

So roll that back and say that Polyphonic (but not channel) AT doesn't eat up a "regular" destination so if you have an M8X or a PolyAT external controller on an M6/M7 - you could save a destination by leveraging PAT for things you previously used CAT for.

Posted : 07/11/2023 7:03 pm
Prominent Member
Topic starter

but used your previous feedback to say that CAT would be assigned as sources in the new "After Touch" screen.

Yep - it's not so simple to try to cover all the bases.

Just realized that it doesn't appear that you can actually use 'Poly AT' as a source at the common level.

The common 'After Touch' screen only has that global Keyboard AT Mode switch for setting the mode. It doesn't have any functionality for making assignments using Poly AT as a source. And the Data List doc doesn't show any 'Key Controller Box' record for common like it does for the parts.

So if you want Poly AT over the whole keyboard the combination of part key ranges needs to cover the whole keyboard.

Posted : 07/11/2023 8:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Just means that PAT can't target common only destinations which makes sense because things like master or system effects don't translate well to single keys.

There's probably a good application for a plugin that takes PAT messages and outputs CAT (greatest PAT value). Then feed that back so you end up with what should have been an option in the first place (hybrid aftertouch).

Posted : 07/11/2023 11:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us