Clear all

MIDI Thru port

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jiri
Topic starter

Hi all,
I am newbie as far as Montage is concerned and I am going to use this great synthesizer in my rig together with Nord Stage 2 (to replace originally used NL A1). For long time I am used to using SetList maker app to simply recall specific programs and settings for concrete songs via MIDI (both for keyboards, quitar effects etc.) utilizing USB MIDI connections. Of course, the use of USB MIDI would be comfortable also for connecting Montage but probably I didn't understand the MIDI implementation of Montage - there is a lot of backward unwanted messages sent to app and I need just to change the programs of instruments, i.e.to communicate in the unidirectional way). So, now I put both keyboards (ie. Montage and NS2) into "old" MIDI chain with the use of iRIG MIDI 2 converter to connect both keyboards under iPad's Set List Maker control with utilization of MIDI Thru port of Montage for just plain retransmitting of MIDI commands on a specific channel to Nord as a second unit in the MIDI chain. But it seems that Montage's Thru port sends something more or different than only retransmits two original MIDI commands from Set List Maker (for setting Montage and NS2 programs) because the NS2 "freezes" immediately after first session and must be rebooted to revive its MIDI input again. Separately both (keyboards over iRig MIDI converter) can choose requested programs without any problem but in MIDI chaining the NS2 is freezing regularly.
Is there anybody who uses Thru port of Montage in MIDI chain and can provide me with some advice or hint? (sorry for my poor English).

Jiri

Posted : 22/12/2017 2:32 pm
Bad Mister

I don’t understand your reason for setting up this way, but seems the same issue is plaguing you no matter how you set up.

If I’m reading this correctly, your NS2 freezes when you deliver MIDI from Set List Marker via an iRig MIDI 2 and you’ve concluded that the MONTAGE is somehow adding unknown messages to the combined signal and sending them via the THRU Jack. And that is what is causing the NS2 to freeze?

I don’t see how that is possible (and neither do you), I’ll need to find a way to add duplicate your setup to really track this down. It would be a major issue for the MONTAGE if indeed it is adding anything to the message received at the 5-pin MIDI IN jack. It has not way to add any of its own messages to data going from the IN to the THRU Port. Not possible for it to simply add data. That I can verify is NOT is the case... the MONTAGE doesn’t even send Bank Select/Program Change unless you specifically set that up in the current Performance. And then it would/should not send that via the the THRU jack, ever.

We are assuming that you are sending MIDI IN via the 5-pin MIDI jack on MONTAGE and that MIDI I/O = MIDI in the keyboard, correct? I believe that is what you are describing. And thus this is a mystery.

I would look for another cause, length of MIDI cables (there is a length limit), eliminate any illegal MIDI extenders, perhaps messages from elsewhere, echoing MIDI Signal... I’d even suggest verifying that the cable is inserted in the actual THRU Port (it is just as likely as anything else mentioned).

If the NS2 has a THRU Jack try to capture the message it is receiving.
Contact Nord for any known reason for freezes.

The MONTAGE does not (ever) Send it’s data directly to the THRU Port. Literally, data arriving at the MIDI IN are passed via the MIDI THRU, as is (as you expect).

See if you can, for your own sake, capture the message as it exits the MONTAGE Thru jack - see what data is in it. Let us know what you find.

Posted : 24/12/2017 11:47 am
Stefan

Hi, I have a relatively similar setup: iPad with Songbook Pro sends via the Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth adapter to the Montage. From Montage MIDI through I go to the Nord Piano 2. I send program changes to both, no problem. The sound on both is switched at the same time, but no freezes.I tried sending various other messages from Cubasis on the iPad and everything worked flawlessly. No freezes. I also used a MIDI monitor on the output of the Montage (the Nord Piano does not have a MIDI through) to check the messages incoming on the Nord. No change to what's going into the Montage. This is of course not the same keyboard as the NS2, not the same app, there is no converter involved. But in principle it shows that at least for me there is no additional messages inserted by the iPad and no freezes occur. Just one datapoint...

Posted : 25/12/2017 5:23 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us