Notifications
Clear all

Montage 6 & Tyros 5 midi tempo issue

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 MIKE
Topic starter

Hi there, I have just purchased a Montage 6 and what a great piece of kit. My question is around MIDI. I have a Tyros 5 which I would like to use as a master keyboard/ clock and when I start the Tyros style it also starts a Montage drum rhythm within a performance at the same tempo In sync. Both units have great rhythms and it would be awesome to combine the two, if it is possible?

So when I start the Tyros Style, the Montage 6 rhythm pattern starts and when I stop Tyros style the Montage rhythm pattern stops as well. I can’t quite get them to work in sync and the Montage pattern stops briefly and then starts up again.

There is a lot to get to grips with and I’m now starting to look at Zone Master but not sure if I am going to be wasting my team here.

Running on Montage 6 version 3.0

Help would be gratefully received.

Mike

Posted : 18/04/2020 8:50 pm
Bad Mister

I have a Tyros 5 which I would like to use as a master keyboard/ clock and when I start the Tyros style it also starts a Montage drum rhythm within a performance at the same tempo In sync.

There is a lot to get to grips with and I’m now starting to look at Zone Master but not sure if I am going to be wasting my team here.

Yes, you would be wasting your time looking under Zone Master — which only concerns using the MONTAGE as a Master Keyboard... clearly NOT the case in your setup. And it does not deal with clock synchronization at all.

We are going to assume you have the MONTAGE set to MIDI SYNC = MIDI (the MONTAGE should read “Ex. Tempo” and will automatically display the Tempo as you change it in the Tyros 5. Right?

Your question is really a Tyros 5 question. Good to know that when you start a STYLE on the Tyros 5 it sends a MIDI Real-time message to Start but as you observed, it also sends a MIDI Real-time message to Stop, but then continues to Send clock timing messages.

It is not clear to me what you are attempting to do, exactly. Please give us some idea. Doesn’t scoundrel like the behavior is unusual. I can only suggest that maybe you try using the SONG Start/Stop commands on the Tyros 5. Being that it is a linear structure and this action also will control the clock of the Tyros 5 Style engine, should STOP and remain stopped.

A STYLE similar to a MONTAGE Arp or Pattern - will continue forever if you do nothing after starting them — by design they are made to cycle (forever); the Tyros 5 SONG similar to a MONTAGE MIDI Song has the ability to STOP itself after started because the End command can be embedded in the data.

It is not clear to me (anyway) what you are attempting to do. You are on uncharted ground — I will put your question to our other product experts (I’m sure some one as hooked these two together just to see what happens). I’m sure there is an alternate method to accomplish goal... only, what is that goal? Perhaps making a third device to act as Master clock for both Keyboards... this way you can send Start and Stop commands to both from the third device.

Let us know.

Posted : 18/04/2020 10:37 pm
 MIKE
Topic starter

Hi there, I have just purchased a Montage 6 and what a great piece of kit. My question is around MIDI. I have a Tyros 5 which I would like to use as a master keyboard/ clock and when I start the Tyros style it also starts a Montage drum rhythm within a performance at the same tempo In sync. Both units have great rhythms and it would be awesome to combine the two, if it is possible?

So when I start the Tyros Style, the Montage 6 rhythm pattern starts and when I stop Tyros style the Montage rhythm pattern stops as well. I can’t quite get them to work in sync and the Montage pattern stops briefly and then starts up again.

Running on Montage 6 version 3.0

Help would be gratefully received.

Mike

Thanks for reply. In my old set up I had a Tyros 5 and a Tyros 4 linked by standard midi cables. I setup Tyros 5 as master and The 4 as slave and had a great mix of styles and rhythms in sync across both machines.

I have very basic understanding of Midi and so thought that I could do the same with the Montage as I did with the Tyros 4. The Montage is a different beast and can do so much.

The Tyros 5 has great rhythms and styles whereby the Montage has great rhythms and sounds which can be changed on the fly, can the two units be synchronised.

I did kind of work as when I slowed down the tempo on the Tyros the tempo on one of the Montage patterns slowed down, needs more playing with.

So maybe my question is now: if I make the Montage 6 the master MIDI SYNC = internal / CLOCK = on and thenTyros a slave, when I hit a key on the Montage the rhythm pattern will start to play, can a message be sent to the Tyros to start the style rhythm in sync/temp?

Ok, so maybe I need to create a new Montage performance that only has a rhythm pattern in it and see if I can manipulate midi to start/stop/synchro/tempo from either device.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks

Mike

Posted : 19/04/2020 8:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us