Clear all

Montage and komplete kontrol MK2. Screwy MIDI

18 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

This is another reason. I hate Manufactures. messing With Normal MIDI.
When they then leave out. Normal MIDI as a option.
Inorder for the Komplete Kontrol MK2 to work Like/As Normal MIDI.
U have 2 options
1. Buy the 15 volt power (Not included) Unplug the USB connector. And run a 5 pin midi cable.
Works fine. But can not use the Controller features. For the Daw.
OR
2. Use Komplete Kontrol Software(Has to be running). MIDI-OX App. Setup and shut off.
Setup Komplete Kontrol App for both DAW and Reg midi. Use the instrument rack of Komplete Kontrol in your DAW(or Plug).
Then Your Montage receives Midi from the Cable And you DAW is FED with the USB midi.
Then Both your Montage And Your DAW. Receive Proper NORMAL Midi.
Now The Kontrol Keys are great ish.(Be ready 4 a break in period).

But this is sort of Convoluted. Since The controller is supposed to . Keep U away from the computer:p

Posted : 01/05/2018 12:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

When you want to use MK2 as a controller for your DAW - leave the MK2 connected via 5-pin MIDI DIN and target this MIDI device using the Montage-3 port.

No need for the computer unless you are using the DAW. Setup needs to change MIDI mode from MIDI to USB when using the DAW and from USB to MIDI when disconnecting from the PC.

Posted : 01/05/2018 4:06 am
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason
Assume You want to leave. Everything hooked up(5 pinout and USB plugged in). And I do. I do not want to be. Pulling the USB Cable All the time.
Then The Computer Still has to be running. And the Stand alone program 'Komplete Kontrol' has to be up and Running

When using both 5 pin and USB midi. The 5 pin-out of. The Kontrol Keyboard. Is Dead Unless the Software 'Komplete Kontrol' is running.
U have to Physically Unplug the USB from the Kontrol Keyboard. To have the 5 pin out work. (Add a 15 v PS!!!!).
Then the Controller functions of The Kontrol keyboard are disabled.
(Just using the 5 pin)
This is documented By NI. And other more informative Tutorials.
Making this Controller. Almost a Oxymoron in ways.

As I look to you as a great source. I would not like to say. You are Wrong. But on this. I am leaning that way.

Now If you did not have to. Have the software program RUNNING. To Feed both type of MIDI Out(USB & 5 pin)
I would be a little more at ease with this. (It needs to be Set and Forget). I do not like Having an extra software program layer running. When recording.

*Note. There is a 2-4 ms delay between the 2 running at once. Barely, Barely Noticable. And You could. Just Drag the results Recorded midi into place.
And I do want to do this sometimes.

On the Plus side.
The Komplete Kontrol as a DAW controller. Is a thing of Beauty. They Got Almost Every Single thing right. And It is all visible/adjustable on your Keyboard. No looking at the Compute at All. * Except Mast Volume. I have not found That Setting yet.

Also breaking this keyboard in. Ouch!!!! Way too firm out of the box. Now I know it does beak-in Very well. As my local Sam Ash store. Has only had their demo out about 2 months. And it plays like a dream. But Right now. I sound like a Student. As I am using too much concentration to hit the keys hard enough. And That Subtracts From my Playing the song Right.

Posted : 01/05/2018 2:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I did not research limitations of the NI keyboard when used in non-USB mode. I'm assuming the MK2 is an "S-series" instrument since I see S## before MK2 on product descriptions where ## is the number of keys.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210276665-My-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-S-SERIES-Does-Not-Output-MIDI-When-Not-Connected-to-a-Computer

The article explains that assignments are set according to the default template when used in MIDI-DIN (non-USB) mode. However, you have the opportunity to reprogram the default template to different settings if those work better. You do not have dynamic control that a computer would give you (full software feature-set) but I am not sure what all of your goals are when the NI keyboard is used in stand-alone mode.

There are certainly brick walls here - but you may, knowing your options, be able to define a setup that works for you even with the limitations at play.

Posted : 01/05/2018 3:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... if you wanted to avoid getting the power supply - you may be able to use a wall plug cell charger which has one or two "type A" USB charging ports that require a charging cable to connect between this charger and a cell phone (detachable cable). You can then connect the NI type-B (on the keyboard end) cable up to the charger's type A port for the purpose of supplying power only.

The USB portion of the NI MK2 will need to be unplugged from the computer regardless when taking your rig out of the studio unless you want to carry a computer around - which I think was one of your goals to avoid. You can always leave the USB cable plugged into the MK2 - but just plug "the other end" (far from the controller) into a power adapter when going mobile and into the computer when connecting to your DAW if you see value in that beyond the default template.

Having to plug everything in (audio, power, etc) is a normal sequence when setting up your rig at a gig. Adding using USB for power isn't a huge difference beyond all the other cables that need to be managed during these events. However, you do have the final say in when the "too much fiddling" threshold has been crossed.

This particular step isn't added due to MIDI implementation - but more a choice by NI not to have a dedicated power port and "wall wart". That's not to dismiss your concerns about MIDI "implementations" -- just that we can throw stones in the other direction on this one.

Posted : 01/05/2018 5:46 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well I do not call them limitations. Because. They have Set up convoluted computer. Ways for it to work right.
Just Nuisance(s).
. In standalone mode. Having to buy a PS. Is just BS. If U use a midi cable. The usb cable Absolutely can not be plugged in to th S Kontrol MK2 49/61.

(Unless you have their software running). That Is sort of Nuts. For a MIDI Controller.

I am just sort of Letting people know What they are in for. I can Deal with It Since I do not play out anymore.
And my computer is always on in my cave down here.(When I am down here.)
But if I still played out. I would be Pissed at NI. As they should include the PS. For a $700 item. That will not work standalone. Without a PS.

Main reason for a controller 4 me.
Key spacing and quality of Key sensitivity. In General. I am much more relaxed about playing Fast. (Big Hands.).
Probably Going to take a couple more weeks to get the Key-Bed Broke in.

The last Con about the NI Kontrol. (And I am Keeping it. As most things about it. Are Great.).

Hit the Black keys Hard. And It sounds like Someone is knocking at the door.
So some time in the near future. I will Prob. Take it apart. (Hopefully no Warranty seals).
And put something Sound absorbing in the Hollow space that is under the key-Bed.
I Play with a lot of Dynamics. So That noise Would Be bothersome. I Can not turn up loud enough in a apartment. To not hear it.
And I Never Were headphones. Unless I am singing or Mastering.

Posted : 01/05/2018 5:58 pm
Bad Mister

Nice review but what does this thread have to do with MONTAGE?

Posted : 01/05/2018 6:32 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well at first. It was about using it(Kontrol MIDI ) with the Montage And a DAW simultaneously.(Not the Steinberg interface. Have not got there yet.)

Then it went off to just the Komplete kontrol MK2 MIDI shortcomings. or MIDI Workarounds.
But Getting back to the Montage.
The way I want my new setup to work Includes. The Montage Driven by The 5 pin midi cable. The MoXF6 driven by Karma and DAW. And My Kontrol MK2.
And Because I just jam Stand alone sometimes. This Whole Weirdness of the NI midi. 5 pin Cable To montage. Came up.

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

My setup goes from the studio to the road frequently during the week. This has me unplugging lots of things and configuring the setup differently between live and the studio. Recently, I've added the BT (wireless) MIDI which stands to change the setup slightly -- haven't integrated it in full-time in either environments.

Early on, I suggested perhaps a "docking station" for the keyboard - an idea similar to laptop/portable keyboards. So you could have "peripherals" easily connected and disconnected by "snapping in" the keyboard. The interface could be similar to the magnetic type used by the surface - which makes alignment of the pins (contacts) easier.

The "base" would have speakers, power, MIDI connected devices (other keyboards, tone modules), foot pedals (expression, switch, sustain), USB (connected to a PC and also a couple USB ports for flash sticks with your backup stick plugged into the base), MIC on A/D input, earphone monitors (as an example) on the assignable outputs, etc. all wired up and ready to go. Just "plop in" in the keyboard, turn it on, and you're off to the races. As an "upsell" (for Yamaha) some may want a second base station rigged up for live use with the pedals wired up and anything else to ease setup. Or maybe just use the keyboard with conventional one-by-one plug-in in the live setting.

Not expecting anything like this anytime soon - just one of those wishes casted out to the ether.

Posted : 01/05/2018 9:04 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason
While we are Dreaming of Equipment setups.
4 U Add a home setup that U do not have to move LOL!

My Dream setup is Coming true ish.
Now I am sure. I will run into. More unexpected things.
But if I can Get.
The MoXF6, Karma, Kontrol MK2 and Montage. To Work 95% of what i Dream.
I will be a Full Orchestra. Not just a 1 man band. With Great, great Sound Quality.
And Have Karma Inspiring me. If you stop Just being amazed By Karma. And Sorta Wasting time Just listening to it.
*I can't tell you how many days and Hours. We sat Just listening and being amazed by Karma. And What IT was doing.
It is Almost Like have a Coach. That keeps pushing You.

Posted : 02/05/2018 3:40 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

My last comments had two points - one for the here and now (@Tom) suggesting less push-back on having to plug/unplug cables -- and one to reiterate how there is a model in a related industry for how to ease cable management/reconfiguration when a device is used in different locations with different goals (@Yamaha).

The part for you was that plugging in and out your Montage - if you're going from a location where you want the PC to another location where you don't want the PC (like a jam session somewhere) - then unplugging and reconnecting wires is just a fact of life. It becomes a dance you get proficient at and becomes second nature -- consuming only a brief moment and not distracting from your musical goals. This is in response to some resistance you've voiced about adding an additional step to your reconfiguration dance.

Posted : 02/05/2018 9:23 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@Jason
i think we R not really understanding each other a little.
OK U clarified your side.

My setup is Static. Does not move. Can not play out anymore(Love to!!!!).
My Gripe with NI(or any company screwing with Normal MIDI).

They Make You run a Software program. To Have Normal MIDI Both ways(USB and 5 pin).
That is a just another layer that could fail. 4 Some unknown reason. They have to Shut off the 5 pin MIDI out. Unless their program is running.
OK. So StandAlone. No power Supply! For a MIDI controller.
Stand Alone. U absolutely. Can't Have that USB cable plugged in to the Kontrol MK2.
Or stand Alone Will not work. Meaning U always have to pull the USB cable. And U have to Buy A 15 V PS. For Stand Alone(BS!)

Well U are just not going to do that. You just Have to deal with. Always Running the Computer and Always Running Their Software.
So You Avoid. Pulling and/or repluging the USB cable. All the Time. The last thing. I want to do is mess with Cables. When I am writing.

It is just a Nuisance.

All that said. There is not a better controller on the market under $1,000.

Posted : 02/05/2018 11:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The assumption was that the USB-as-a-data port would "turn off" the MIDI port. I do not have this hardware to experiment with - so I don't know - but it's worth a shot to plug in the USB port (MK2) to a power-only supply like a cell phone charger. This would not present any data port - so the USB port would not enumerate. This mode is only connecting 5V from the USB port for power purposes only. Perhaps this will curtail having to get the 15V PS (perhaps not) and allow the USB cable to be "plugged in" while still using the unit as standalone with the MIDI pig-tail.

You can elect to have the USB (for data) connected to MK2 or not depending. I'm not sure you need that after configuring the default template to suit your needs.

I'm only suggesting to try the USB-for-power-only since it's cheap to try and you have so much resistance against getting the 15V power supply which is the standard configuration for this mode of use from NI. Take it or leave it.

Posted : 03/05/2018 6:24 am
Bad Mister

“Normal MIDI” That’s a keeper!

May is MIDI Month.... please support the ongoing growth of MIDI. https://www.midi.org

MIDI 2.0 will be a reality soon! Step up!

Posted : 03/05/2018 12:01 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@Jason
I can not make this any Clearer(Maybe it is me). And maybe U Just Can't Believe it Either. (I still have a hard time with what NI DID. to MIDI.)

To use the 5 pin MIDI. In Stand Alone Mode.
You can ONLY power from the 15V PS.
IN NI's Documentation. About Running BOTH USB/5 PIN.
They Flat out tell You.
Stand Alone MIDI.
5 pin Must Have a 15V PS And. No USB Cable Can Be connected to The Kontrol Keyboard.

Now My Resistance to Buying a 15 V PS. Is not the Point I was making(I actually have a 15V PS)
It is the Fact. They Did All This. And Did not include a PS with a $700 Controller.(Cheap ass Bas$%&ds!).

And The 'Komplete Kontrol' Software. U must have Running to Have Both types of midi.

This morning. It Took 2 minutes to get itself Straightened out and running properly.
This is exactly the kind of thing I fear from Software Layers. Used to Drive Music Items.(I almost rebooted.)

When U sit down to play. Waiting/Relying on a Computer. Is not What U want. Which is why I like stand Alone Keyboards. Turn them on. And They play.

Posted : 03/05/2018 2:56 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us