Notifications
Clear all

Using the Montage as primary sound card help needed

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 neil
Topic starter

I have finally hooked my Montage up with Cubase following Bad Misters vids ty .. but now wish to record external gear/vox etc
I wish to use the Montage as my primary PC soundcard
I am using Cubase 9 - usb lead from pc connected to Montage
I have successfully recorded a performance using the Montage multi channel template
The midi performance data has been succesfully recorded & plays back on 1-8 of the 16 Midi tracks in Cubase.
I am attempting to use one of the 16 Audio tracks to record my voice (mic plugged into A/D input) whilst monitoring my previously recorded midi performance
...problem being I cannot seem to isolate the vocals whilst monitoring the midi performance....on playing back the recorded audio both the midi performance and vocals are recorded
The audio track records the midi tracks along with my vocals ?
Would I have to render the midi tracks first ??
I would appreciate any help

Posted : 30/04/2018 8:58 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Neil,
Rest assured you can record your vocals to Cubase through the MONTAGE A/D Input while monitoring your recorded tracks. The following will serve as a checklist/setup guide.

Required items:
Dynamic microphone plugged into the Left A/D Input
A quality set of headphones for monitoring purposes (speakers will need to be turned off during recording if open mic is in the same room)

If your recorded tracks are still MIDI data that must trigger the MONTAGE as Tone Generator, you will want to set each of those Parts to OUTPUT SELECT = “Main L&R”... you can do this manually (each by each) or you can simply selecting the QUICK SETUP = Standalone
[SHIFT] + [UTILITY] = Quick Setup, Select “Standalone”

This will reset all Parts to Output Select = “Main L&R”
And reactivating the “Direct Monitor” = On
Allowing you to monitor all synth Parts during playback
If any of the Parts you recorded as MIDI Tracks utilized an Arpeggiator, you will want to use [SHIFT] + [ARP ON/OFF] to defeat any interference from the played back MIDI data from triggering an Arp. The [Arp On/Off] button will blink to indicate the “Bypass” status.

Setup the MIC INPUT:
In [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Audio I/O” > set the “Mic/Line” = Mic
Press [EXIT] to return to your Performance
In your Performance, press [EDIT]
Press the upper [COMMON] button
Touch “Audio In” > “Mixing”
Set the A/D In Input Mode = L Mono (plug your dynamic mic into the left A/DInput)
Set “Output Select” to USB 1&2 (the default “Main L&R” are being used to listen to the recorded tracks). Use the first available pair of USB outputs.
You can at this point assign two Insertion Effects to your A/D Input Part.
Touch “Routing”
Routing can be A> B or B > A
You also have a dedicated post Insert EQ.

You can use the Audio Track: “Audio 02” in the template you are using because it is set to “USB1&2” as Input to the Cubase Audio Track and “Main” as Output.
Select Audio Track “Audio 02” or simply create an Audio Track to Receive INPUT from MONTAGE via USB 1&2
When you activate the Record Ready (red) and Monitor Speaker(tan) icons on that Track you are hearing the microphone as it traverse Cubase.

You may hear doubling, at this point, this is due to the MONTAGE’s “USB Volume” setting, which controls the level of the Audio In (Cubase returning audio). You will in all likelihood hear this in addition to hearing yourself normally. Use headphones if your mic is within shouting distance of your speakers. Defeat your speakers.

You can lower the USB VOLUME (If you require the Cubase click to count you in, you can lower the “USB Volume” just enough to guide you but not enough so the doubling disturbs you. The signal from the USB Volume is post Cubase (latent signal)

All your audio monitor settings are found in [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Audio I/O”
“USB Volume” is the Audio returning to Montage via USB destined for the “Main L&R”.
“A/D In” reaches both Cubase via USB 1-30, and reaches the Main L&R (Analog Out).
Turn down USB Volume to temporarily defeat the latent signal
Turn USB Volume up to hear recorded audio from Cubase; so on playback remember to raise your USB VOLUME.

Posted : 01/05/2018 12:00 pm
 neil
Topic starter

Thank you so much Bad Mister .

Invaluable advice.I have just worked through your steps and it worked first time!! I am very pleased indeed
I can now use the Montage 8 at the centrepiece of my studio rig 🙂 🙂 God bless you Phil.

Posted : 01/05/2018 2:32 pm
Bad Mister

Excellent!

Posted : 01/05/2018 7:16 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us