Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage and MIDI Controllers

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
studio460

Well, largely thanks to this thread, I've opened my eyes to NI's amazingly well-integrated Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk 2 MIDI controller. In fact, I may be done with hardware workstations altogether (I'm pulling my 10-year-old Fantom G8 out of my rack as I write this, and I'm on the verge of returning my just-bought Kronos Platinum). I would still love a new Montage 7, and may still someday eventually break down and buy one, but at this point, I cannot seem to justify the expense. I'll probably still keep my VirusTI Polar and Roland V-Synth GT, but I think I'm done buying hardware synths.

As I looked into the Kontrol S61 KB a bit more closely (and learned how easy and powerful my new copy of Apple Logic Pro X is), I've discovered the Kontrol S61's game-changing new features: its built-in dual high-res color displays, graphical VST-browsing function, "pre-hear" auto-auditioning of sounds, and out-of-the-box compatibility with Logic Pro X, Logic transport-control, on-screen Logic mixer display, etc. To me, this controller represents a tectonic-shift in softsynth and DAW usability—this is just too good a thing to dismiss, despite my former love of all-hardware set-ups

NI's new Komplete Kontrol Mk 2 controllers have been the missing link which have historically handicapped softsynth users' best efforts, and is a key enabling tool which vast VST libraries have sorely lacked until now. I'll be buying the Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk 2 bundle along with Komplete 11 Ultimate (all, for less than the cost of a brand new Roland FA-08!), plus a few symphonic NKI libraries. I may never buy another hardware synth again . . . ever! (Well, except for that Montage 7 one day!)

Posted : 16/03/2018 8:53 am
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well Let's not get too Crazy. About DAW's and Soft Synths. There is A lot of Work There.
And I bet almost Everyone has tried this. But it is really bothersome. Then There are plugin instruments you buy.
That The controls. Do not Exactly work right.

Nothing is Preset. I have a Group of Instruments/sounds. Set up in my DAW's. Took me over 5 months to Find and refine each one.
Less than 100 in total. It is just mind boggling. Going thru all that.

Yes NI Kontrol is the Next Step in Controlling and finding. Their sounds. I am Not so sure about
The 8000 ish Non NI Sounds I have.(I still have not heard more than half of them.).
Then there is build Quality of the Kontrol II. Not going to last past 5 yrs IMHO. 3 years As much as I play everyday.

So Going all Computer. I would definitely have a second. Real Quality keyboard. To play on.
Which Brings us back to. Why go there?

Posted : 16/03/2018 11:29 pm
studio460

Thanks again for your insight. First, I'm only a casual player and don't play that often, and certainly don't gig or perform. To simplify the issue you bring up, I plan on buying only NKS-enabled VSTs to use with the Kontrol S61 Mk 2 controller (i.e., only those which support the keyboard's color displays and "pre-hear" auto-auditioning feature, which I think is a real game-changer). And, for my more limited playing regimen, I think that approach makes a softsynth/DAW-based workflow much closer to using a hardware synth—better, in fact. Don't you think? With that set-up, I get:

• More simplified, unified browsing UI by category, genre, type, etc.
• Fast preset surfing via "pre-hear."
• Pre-programmed DAW-integration with Logic Pro X, right out-of-the-box.

Also, I think I've decided to keep all of my hardware synths (Kronos Platinum 88, Radias, Fantom G8/XR, V-Synth GT, and VirusTI Polar).

Posted : 17/03/2018 12:19 am
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well Again
Because I play so much daily. That is 1 reason. Why I was looking for a Good Controller. For my Montage.
Keep the wear and tear down on the M6 keybed. The other reason is. The tight spacing of the keys of the montage.

I have not researched. The Search abilities of Kontrol for. NON NI Sounds. I will assume There is something there.
Ableton Live. U can preview any sound. Not sure about My other DAW's. Again I would Assume there is something there.
There are just too many sounds these days. To not be able to audition sounds.
But
It is more about Categories! That is where You run into problems. With Sounds. 1/2 the time. U have know idea. What the named sound.
Sounds like. So U can literally spend days. Going thru sounds With a notepad. Just to Categorise them.

Since U are keeping Your hardware.
The Kronos. And Karma. Even most of the Engineers at Korg. Do not fully understand it. I love Karma
And I Just got to a point. To sorta. Just set it as close to what I want. And let it play.
Trying to understand karma. And Deep Settings. Is Like trying to become a DR. A very long journey. That stops U from enjoying music.
I have a Friend. That Totally understands. it. Took him a couple of years. And He will not go deep into it. He just Sets it up on the board. And plays.
Just enjoy it. And do not wonder too deep. How it works.

Posted : 17/03/2018 1:42 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us