Notifications
Clear all

Sustain Problem with Yamaha Montage

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

I am having some sustain problems with my Yamaha Montage 7. - Sometimes when playing, the sustain effect will remain on even though I have released the pedal. - Other times, the sustain function does not work at all. I am using a Yamaha FC4A Foot Pedal. - I have read something about using TRS Phone Plug Jack Cords as opposed to TS Phone Jack cords in the Balanced Output out of the keyboard. Should I buy some TRS Plug Jack cords or is there a master setting in the software of the keyboard that I can change, so that the TS Plug Jack cords will work correctly? - Thank you. - Mark

Posted : 10/03/2018 6:40 am
 Drew
Eminent Member

I'm a new montage owner myself but a veteran keyboard player. First test I would recommend is to replace the sustain pedal. I work a lot and go thru pedals once a month. Your symptoms could very well be that simple. Just do make sure the new pedal polarity is correct for Yamaha or buy a pedal with a polarity switch. I just found that strangely, you cannot switch the polarity from within the keyboard settings.
Great keyboard but some quirks. Good luck.

Posted : 10/03/2018 7:50 am
Bad Mister

Your Yamaha FC4A should last you for many years, you don’t say it is not working - you mention “sometimes...” for anyone to offer you real help, you’ll need to nail that down a bit. Recall an acoustic piano sound, play it with the sustain pedal... since it is the instrument for which the sustain pedal was invented, you can bet that these sounds are programmed to behave properly with the sustain pedal.

When you find a sound that does not behave as you expect please write down the name of that Performance program and we can help you analyze the response to the sustain pedal. Many newbies to Synthesizers have an unreal expectation when they encounter sustain pedals and Arpeggiators, for example, or sustain pedals and non-percussion sounds.

The FC4A is a TS connector. Make sure you set your MONTAGE’s Sustain parameter to respond to this type of pedal.
Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Settings” > “Sound”
Set SUSTAIN PEDAL = FC4A/FC5

See page 165 of the Reference Manual for details... you will not be able to get the half-damper sustain pedal function (reserved for the FC3A which has the TRS connector). By the way, Yamaha pedals do not need a polarity switch, they are made specifically for Yamaha products.

Posted : 10/03/2018 8:16 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us