Clear all

Montage Connect Song Export?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I played around with the Montage Connect Song Import function today. Very nice.

It would also be nice if there were a Song Export Function. That way, when I had a MIDI file on my PC that I wanted to use in the Montage MIDI recorder, I wouldn't have to plug the flash drive into my PC, copy the MIDI file to it, and then plug the flash drive into my Montage to load the MIDI file.

I can get things done the way they currently are, but moving a physical device from one machine to the other is so 20th Century. We have wireless devices here in the future :), and besides, my Montage is already connected to my PC with a USB cable.

So I'd appreciate it if this feature request were forwarded to the appropriate authorities. Thanks.

Posted : 15/10/2017 2:34 am
Hans-Peter

No problem ...

https://youtu.be/x9kyWVo4UPM

Posted : 15/10/2017 7:07 am
Bad Mister

Excellent video HaPe!

What Michael wants is a way that’s as easy as Song Import is via MONTAGE CONNECT, but in the opposite direction. He’s not happy that one has to “shuttle” the .mid File from Cubase to a USB stick in order to load into MONTAGE after he’s added and completed work on it in Cubase. The request is for Cubase to be able to export > MIDI FILE directly to the MONTAGE SONG folder, or for MONTAGE to be able to grab the exported .mid from the computer desktop/folder. (It’s a common request... although it was under utilized and far too complex to setup when available in Motif XF)

Until that happens (if ever) Michael, you can manually transfer the completed Project’s MIDI data to your MONTAGE.
Recall your Performance on Montage
Set MONTAGE to MIDI SYNC = MIDI
Recall a New Song
Set Cubase to send MIDI clock on MONTAGE Port 1
Press [REC]
The transfer will faithfully take place - no USB stick required for Realtime transfer... MONTAGE will record all 16 Tracks simultaneously through your already connected USB cable

Once transferred, establish a link between the SONG & PERFORMANCE in your MONTAGE.
Ensure you Store the actual Tempo in the MONTAGE (when in Cubase, it was the master clock, when transferred to MONTAGE, set that tempo in the Song and Performance).

Posted : 15/10/2017 1:17 pm
Hans-Peter

Bad Mister wrote:

Excellent video HaPe!

What Michael wants is a way that’s as easy as Song Import is via MONTAGE CONNECT, but in the opposite direction. He’s not happy that one has to “shuttle” the .mid File from Cubase to a USB stick in order to load into MONTAGE after he’s added and completed work on it in Cubase. The request is for Cubase to be able to export > MIDI FILE directly to the MONTAGE SONG folder, or for MONTAGE to be able to grab the exported .mid from the computer desktop/folder. (It’s a common request...)

Thanks a lot Phil for your clarification and the kind words. And apologizes to Michael that I didn't get the correct point. I just read the first two sentences and was thinking of drag 'n drop from MONTAGE connect to the computer. It seems that it was a bit too early for a quick answer on a Sunday morning in our area. 😉

Sorry again!

Posted : 15/10/2017 1:38 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

BM, I tried the method that you suggested. It almost worked.

The problem was that the Cubase transport didn’t start playing when I hit REC-PLAY on the Montage. I could then hit PLAY in Cubase and the Montage would record from there on. But that way, nothing was in sync.

I have Song Play/Stop set to both receive and transmit on the Montage. Is there some other setting, perhaps in Cubase? I looked around in Cubase, but didn’t find anything.

A related question: how should MIDI Clock Out be set on the Montage when I’m using Cubase? I tried it both ways, and it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Posted : 15/10/2017 9:11 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

HP: No need for apologies. I appreciate it when someone tries to help me. Thanks!

Posted : 15/10/2017 9:13 pm
Bad Mister

Michael Trigoboff wrote:

BM, I tried the method that you suggested. It almost worked.

The problem was that the Cubase transport didn’t start playing when I hit REC-PLAY on the Montage. I could then hit PLAY in Cubase and the Montage would record from there on. But that way, nothing was in sync.

I have Song Play/Stop set to both receive and transmit on the Montage. Is there some other setting, perhaps in Cubase? I looked around in Cubase, but didn’t find anything.

A related question: how should MIDI Clock Out be set on the Montage when I’m using Cubase? I tried it both ways, and it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Cubase is the master clock, MONTAGE is the slave. So when you have your Performance recalled and you press the [REC] button on the MONTAGE - this places the Play/Rec function in Record Ready (Standby...); you then click the spacebar on your computer to start Cubase, which will automatically start the MONTAGE... which will automatically sync to Cubase. When finished you should Stop Cubase to stop the MONTAGE and end recording.

SYNC can only be assured if you have set Cubase to send MIDI CLOCK to the MONTAGE on Port 1.
Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETUP... > MIDI CLOCK OUT > MIDI CLOCK DESTINATION > MONTAGE (Port 1)

Set the MONTAGE to slave. Press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > set MIDI SYNC = MIDI
CLOCK OUT does not matter in this, you are not using it. The MONTAGE is slave in this setup. Cubase is the master clock.
Make sure SONG PLAY/STOP “Receive = On”

And you must set the Tempo in Cubase, because...

Posted : 16/10/2017 12:25 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Posted : 16/10/2017 1:09 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us