Notifications
Clear all

Montage Knob-Data on Multimode

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey guys,
I am a new Montage User and need your help. I think I am missing something. Here is what I want to do:

I want to use the Montage as a stuido centerpeace as I only use it for music production in the studio. Therefor I have hooked it up via USB to my DAW (Ableton Live) and use it as my interface. The Montage is set to "MIDI Rec on DAW", Local Control is off and I activated MIDI-Multimode. In my DAW, I created 8 MIDI tracks, one for each channel. The MIDI signal goes out the Montage into Ableton Liv, gets recorded and then back to the Montage. Everything works fine so far. I can record different parts on each of the channel and create a whole song in my DAW with the Montage as a mighty soundmodule and midi-keyboard.

Now here comes the problem:

I want to record knob-movements on each channel. For example, on channel 1 there is a single-part piano, on channel two a single part bass. I want to record the cutoff knob-movement on the piano and some attack and decay automations on the bass. The problem is, it only records those data on channel one. Same for superknob. When I switch to channel 2 - 8 (aim them in ableton and on the Montage), the knobs don´t react at all. They stay in their position. Only on track one, the knobs react. Why is that? I can´t figure out which setting I am missing and I hope the Montage is able to do this, since this is crutial for any studio-producer.

Would be very cool if you could help me out.

Thanks a lot and cheers from Germany!

Posted : 21/11/2020 12:45 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Charlie,
Welcome to YamahaSynth!

There is no one way to do things (we’ll start with that disclaimer)

When a Knob appears frozen (the rotary encoders lights do not move) it is most certainly a Routing issue.
When Local Control is Off (as is proper when working with a DAW) the signal must arrive at an *active* Track set to receive MIDI data and return that MIDI data (called ‘Thru’ or ‘Echo back’... ) to the MONTAGE tone generator on the specific Channel in question.

As soon as the Routing circuit is complete the Knob will be unfrozen.

Select Track 1 (the piano)
On the MONTAGE press [PART SELECT 1]
Doing so, makes available 32 Knobs (four rows of 8 parameters)
These include the left front panel Knob Functions TONE, EQ/FX, ARP/MS
plus each Part has its own 8 Assignable Knobs
By selecting Part 1, you are set to transmit on channel 1
Press the left front panel [TONE] button to select the row with CUTOFF as Knob 1
This can be Output via MIDi and used to record cc74 to your track echoing back channel 1

Select Track 2 (the bass)
On the MONTAGE press [PART SELECT 2]
Doing so, makes available 32 Knobs (four rows of 8 parameters)
These include the left front panel Knob Functions TONE, EQ/FX, ARP/MS
plus Part 2 has its own 8 Assignable Knobs
By selecting Part 2, you are set to transmit on channel 2
Press the left front panel TONE button to select the row with Attack and Release as Knobs 5 and 8, respectively
This can be Output via MIDi and used to record cc73, and cc72, respectively, to your track echoing back channel 2

And so on. Yes, each of your 8 Parts has potentially 32 Knobs - many of these Knobs can generate MIDI recordable data, when turned directly while the Part is *selected*. We qualified that with the word “many” (instead of all) because some of them change the status of the sound without generating a MIDI message.

Moving the Super Knob can be moving scores of parameters, simultaneously. It can be set to send its data as a CC# (Control Change #) or can be set to send System Exclusive data.

When you select a CC# it will be transmitted on Channel 1
Different DAWs deal with Sysex differently, check your DAWs documentation. By convention most make it available merged with channel 1 — System Message address the entire ‘system’ so are not channel specific.

It is unclear in your question exactly what you are asking the Super Knob to do (and there are far, far too many possibilities to describe them all) but if attempting to use the SuperKnob, you can either isolate its output to its own Track — this way you can keep it activated at all times along with whatever else you are doing.

The Super Knob is “super” because it can influence any particular parameter within any of the Parts so that while you are performing you can make multiple changes to multiple Parts... as you’ll get to see, as you get to know this system, you can open the filter on just the oboe a smidge, in a Part that contains an oboe, a flute, a clarinet, and a bassoon. At the same time, the one controller gesture, can close the filter on the bassoon, within the same Part, while panning the clarinet hard left and moving the flute from hard left to center. You can scale the amount to each item in the massive MONTAGE ControlAssign matrix.

What I’m trying to describe is the Super Knob system let’s you, in very great detail, program what each Oscillator within a Part is doing....Across multiple Parts and channels. You may need to workout a way to keep you Super Knob movements active (echoing data back to MONTAGE at all times).

Extra Credit:
Within the current Performance you can customize what your physical front panel and foot controllers are sending via MIDI
From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Number” — here you can customize the cc Number that each device is sending Out via MIDI.

When you have selected a Part these controller numbers will travel Out on the MIDI channel that corresponds to the *selected* Part.

Posted : 21/11/2020 3:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us