Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Use Montage as USB-Interface while controling external synths

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey, since I have another question I opened an extra thread, so things don´t get messed up.

Last week a fried came by and brought his Elektron Octatrack. I use the Montage as my USB-Interface (Multimode, MIDI-Rec on DAW, Sequencer is Ableton Live). My friend wanted his Octatrack to connect with us, so that the Montage send control messages to sync both devices and so my fried could record his playing through my Montage on channel 8 in Ableton Live, together with me. Unfortunately, we weren´t able to set it up. Is it possible that the Montage cannot use his MIDI-cable-ports when he is in USB-mode? I know for example that the Roland Fantom can do that.

Please, can someone give me a description on how to set things up? It was a bit embarrassing for me, having such a powerful unit and can not let him join my setup 🙁

On a short term, here is what we wanna do:
- Use Montage as USB-Interface with PC (works)
- Send and record MIDI-Data on various channels to sequence in Ableton (works)
- Send sync data via MIDI OUT to the Octatrack (doesn´t work)
- Receive MIDI-Data from the Octatrack on channel 8 via MIDI-IN and send it through USB into Ableton (doesn´t work)
- Record Audio via the AD/Input, send it through USB into Ableton (didn´t test this as we messed up before)

Thanks a lot!! 🙂

Cheers,
Charlie

Posted : 21/11/2020 12:56 pm
Member Admin

HI have you tried just using a DAW and setting the Montage as the audio interface in there, then connecting the Montage to the PC via USB and the Octatrack to the PC via its own usb? I dont have an Octatrack but I imagine they will communicate with each other using the PC as a midi hub. You would set one tracks input as the other devices midi channel. And its output as the device you want to control. Perhaps you have to use the HW Instrument plugin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KyajE60suE
In Ableton settings you will have to setup each hardware device properties.

Not sure how you set up the midi channels on the Octatrack. Probably in the menu options for each track

Does the Octatrack also transmit its audio over USB? Can it capture samples from what it hears in the DAW? Are you trying to apply the Montage fx to samples played back on the Octatrack? Is that why you mention the AD Input?

Posted : 21/11/2020 1:12 pm
Bad Mister

The MONTAGE has both an Audio and MIDI interface built-in. When using a computer be sure to download and install the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” for your computer type.

If you just want to communicate with another MIDI device you would use MIDI I/O = MIDI and connect the two devices with standard 5-pin MIDI cables.

However, when connecting your MONTAGE to a computer, you would use the USB cable, you would set the MIDI I/O = USB. This also gives you 32 audio outputs from the MONTAGE to the computer, and returns 6 audio outputs from the computer to the MONTAGE acting as Digital-to-Analog converter.
Plus via the same USB connection your MONTAGE has 3 MIDI Ports...to communicate bi-directionally with the computer.

A USB-MIDI Port is the equivalent of two standard 5-pin MIDI cables (an IN and an OUT) with 16 channel communication. Because you are now using USB for MIDI, the 5-pin MIDI jacks (instead of doing nothing) become a MIDI interface for an external device. Here’s how that works and how you can use them:

Port 1 is for the MONTAGE itself 16 Channels In, 16 Channels Out
Port 2 is for the MONTAGE and your DAW to communicate. The MONTAGE can act as a remote control surface for Cubase, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, and Ableton Live (you make the selection)
Port 3 is for an external MIDI device to send data to the computer and receive data from the computer on its own discreet Port.

In other words, any Track in your DAW set to Receive MIDI via “MONTAGE-3 (Port 3)” will be receiving from the external device
Any Track in your DAW set to Transmit MIDI via “MONTAGE-3 (Port 3)” will be transmitting to the external device. This is referred to as the “THRU Port” because the data simply passes through the MONTAGE.

If you want to play the external synth using the MONTAGE keys: set the Track’s MIDI IN = MONTAGE-1 (Port 1) and MIDI OUT = MONTAGE-3 (Port 3)”

If you want to play the MONTAGE using the external synth’s keys: set the Track’s MIDI IN = MONTAGE-3 (Port 3) and MIDI OUT = MONTAGE-1 (Port 1).

If you connect the audio outputs of your external synth to the A/D IN on the back panel of the MONTAGE, you can now not only route it on a discreet bus to your DAW (the external audio IN can be routed on any of the MONTAGE’s 32 audio buses); additionally, you can add two Insertion Effects to that input on its way to your DAW on its own discreet stereo bus; even use the internal Reverb, Variation and Master Effects, if you’d like (Routing it to the Main L/R).

You can integrate the external device into the MONTAGE Motion Control Synthesis Engine, using it as a modulation source; as a sound modifier, as a trigger, as a tempo source. You can morph to it in the same fashion as you can to any internal MONTAGE sound.

I know for example that the Roland Fantom can do that.

LOL, There is no more powerful synth than your MONTAGE!

Posted : 21/11/2020 1:16 pm
Topic starter

Wow, thanks a lot for your lightspeed answer! Will definetly try this out when he comes to my house again :p Didn´t know about that port 3 thing at all. Thanks Bad Mister!

@c: I am not shure, but I think the octatrack cannot communicate with a PC on its own.

Posted : 21/11/2020 1:24 pm
Member Admin

Hi I thought the Octatrack could do midi over usb (with overbridge). I guess its not available for that. Other elektron gear can but not the Octatrack. 🙁 .

Posted : 22/11/2020 12:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us