Notifications
Clear all

Montage M vs Motif sequencer

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi! Please someone let me know if Montage M has the same full blown Pattern and Song sequencer of the Motif line from the past or it only has basic sequencer/recorder without all the edit functions of the Motif?

Posted : 10/11/2023 5:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The new Montage M has the same sequencer architecture as the previous Montage first generation ("classic" ) that also did not have a facility to surgically edit individual events like Motif (and even the MO budget line prior to MODX) could.

Posted : 10/11/2023 5:06 pm
Prominent Member

Please someone let me know if Montage M has the same full blown Pattern and Song sequencer of the Motif line from the past

Can you provide some info about something specific that you want/need to be able to do?

One area of difference is for event editing. The Motif allowed you to edit events very precisely by providing the event, measure or clock where you wanted the event and the value for the parameter involved.

In the M models event editing is much more general. You don't have access to detailed event info so can't actually see exactly where they occur.

You work mostly with events at a global level - such as deleting or replacing all events in a given measure, or measures, by effectively deleting the occurences of that even in the mesure and then recording (overdubbing) replacement events.

In short - the M models do NOT have a MIDI event editor per se.

Posted : 10/11/2023 5:16 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=124434]

Please someone let me know if Montage M has the same full blown Pattern and Song sequencer of the Motif line from the past

Can you provide some info about something specific that you want/need to be able to do?

One area of difference is for event editing. The Motif allowed you to edit events very precisely by providing the event, measure or clock where you wanted the event and the value for the parameter involved.

In the M models event editing is much more general. You don't have access to detailed event info so can't actually see exactly where they occur.

You work mostly with events at a global level - such as deleting or replacing all events in a given measure, or measures, by effectively deleting the occurences of that even in the mesure and then recording (overdubbing) replacement events.

In short - the M models do NOT have a MIDI event editor per se.

[/quotePost]Thanks Jason and Andrew for the info! i actually never owned Motif but only read that Motif had full featured sequencer while Montage only has basic MIDI multitrack recorder so that's why I asked for more detail about it. Thanks Andrew again for all the detail. I do have additional question. Does "Undo (Undo Media Record)" action command (that is pressed on touchscreen) that deletes last sequence layer, erases last sequence layer immediately after
the button is pressed once or you have to press one more time to confirm the action?

Posted : 10/11/2023 5:52 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Hi @Danijel, when Yamaha released the Montage classic they off-loaded the sequencing and sampling to computer DAW software, as they provided a free copy of Cubase for Song and ARP sequencing/editing, as well as SampleRobot Montage Edition software for sampling & creating waveform libraries (in addition to using Cubase for sampling).

Although they added a sequencer on the Montage (& MODX) in OS update 3.0, I don't believe it has changed or been developed further on the Montage M.

If the onboard sequencer on the Montage M does not have enough functionality for what kind of recording and editing you need to do, Cubase will allow you do everything and more.
...or whatever DAW recording software you prefer to use will likely work fine too. I use Pro Tools and it works perfectly! 😉

Posted : 10/11/2023 6:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This: https://youtu.be/-zg_6wSlR9s?t=143

Disclaimer: I didn't listen to the video at all - just showing the surgical editing available for every event not available in Montage.

Posted : 10/11/2023 6:22 pm
Prominent Member

just showing the surgical editing available for every event not available in Montage.

Not available in the M's either. That is the type of detailed 'measure, beat, clock' I was referencing.

Posted : 10/11/2023 6:35 pm
 c

Yeah the M is half baked as usual. If you want a sequencer and use your PC as some suggest, save your money and buy an elektron digitakt, a midi keyboard and plugins. The M is made for stage musicians.

Posted : 11/11/2023 12:48 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us