Clear all

Montage Ribbon

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Tommy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

In some sounds, the Ribbon Controller stays put at where you picked up your finger off it.
In others, it jumps back to the center position when you pick your finger up.
I once found where this setting was, but can't find it any more! ++EDIT: the Ref Manual says it's in Common/Audio/Edit...

Also, BadMister, in your Introduction to Montage Video Part 4, you are using Bassoon 3 to demonstrate the ribbon's behavior.
You say that it controls the envelope, allowing you to morph a simple bassoon (augmented by the SuperKnob) into a wind section (that part works for me)...
But when you subsequently turn it into a Woodwind pad, I think you said it was by lengthening the attack times. On my Bassoon 3 patch, the Ribbon is patched to control Volume, Cutoff and a Fine Tuning (?!) - Why the difference? -- and getting back to my first question, since the Ribbon won't "stick" - that makes playing a Pad oddly difficult.

Also Ribbon won't AutoSelect when you are in Common. Is that only on that patch?

Thanks.

Posted : 28/02/2018 5:22 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi, Ribbon Hold or Reset setting is on Performance > Edit Common/audio > General :

Posted : 28/02/2018 5:41 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Take a look here for setting the ribbon mode:

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/fyi-ribbon-mode

Here's the rundown:

1) [PERFORMANCE] (HOME)
2) Press the [EDIT] button
3) Make sure the "General" menu is selected. Should be by default
4) See "RB Mode" which has selections "Hold" and "Reset" - which do what you would expect. The value of "Hold" was something that I was not seeing much of. Also because the Init Normal (AWM2) voice sets this to "Reset" - the performances I was building from scratch did not set up RB (ribbon controller) to do what I wanted if I were to use it like a knob.

Also, I'm not sure if the auto-select respects the receive switches. Make sure RB is not set to "OFF"

Credit: Sladjan

Posted : 28/02/2018 5:43 pm
Bad Mister

Tommy,

It’s not “Bassoon 3” that morphs to a Pad Sound... it’s the “Wind Ensemble” that does.
The Ribbon can be set on a per Part basis, along with the Assign Switches. How they behave in all Parts is a “common” parameter. So you must pick a behavior (Hold/Reset; Latch/Momentary) which will apply for all Parts of the Performance.

Also Ribbon won't AutoSelect when you are in Common. Is that only on that patch?

The Ribbon can be set on a per Part basis, it cannot be assigned on the upper Common level. That upper Common/Audio Level is capable of using the Super Knob and any of its eight AssignKnobs, the MS Lanes, and the Env Followers. It doesn’t “Auto Select” because it is not available for assignment, it can only be assigned to a Part.

An easy way to find out what controllers are available is to touch the “Display Filter” box to see the available options, or touch the “Source” box.

Just FYI: If you turn Off the RIBBON Receive Switch for a particular Part, it simply does not receive messages from the Ribbon. That will not affect or influence other Parts relationship with the control. Nor does it have any affect on the “Auto Select” Function.

Posted : 28/02/2018 6:56 pm
Tommy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Joel, Jason and BadMister for the clarifications and pointing me in the right direction. I'm going to try using the Ribbon for changing Rotary (Leslie) speeds - it's more like a Leslie speed switch on a Hammond as far as location and orientation. I tried with Aftertouch, but, maybe because of the nature of Aftertouch data, it was a lot of pressing, and didn't seem to toggle as much as temporarily switch to fast.
Really enjoying the Montage. I recreated BadMister's Ensemble StringsK / Orchestral Brass Swell/ Tympani Performance and just wow!

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:18 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us