Montage : Samples terminology.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I'm not sure to be really OK with Yamaha's editing terminology yet. In particulary with user samples. Here is what I understood:

What is generally called a "Multisample" is a Waveform in the Montage.
What is generally called a Sample (which forms the Multisample) is a Keybank. A set of Keybanks (therefore a set of Samples) forms the Waveform (the Multisample).

Is that correct?

And I have a second question: I think I managed to create a "Waveform" but as I add samples, which are on the USB key, I no longer see their name. I can see the Keybank number, but that's it. So I do not know after a while, which sample was loaded in this place. How can IK know this ?

Thank you

Posted : 23/01/2021 4:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

A sample is recorded audio without association with keys or other advanced settings. Pretty much just a raw audio file.

A Keybank is a wrapper around a sample to define: root note, key range, velocity range, and one shot vs. looped etc.

Each Waveform can have 256 Keybanks maximum (or 1 minimum).

Posted : 23/01/2021 9:26 pm
Bad Mister

Hello,

I'm not sure to be really OK with Yamaha's editing terminology yet. In particulary with user samples. Here is what I understood:

What is generally called a "Multisample" is a Waveform in the Montage.
What is generally called a Sample (which forms the Multisample) is a Keybank. A set of Keybanks (therefore a set of Samples) forms the Waveform (the Multisample).

Is that correct?

And I have a second question: I think I managed to create a "Waveform" but as I add samples, which are on the USB key, I no longer see their name. I can see the Keybank number, but that's it. So I do not know after a while, which sample was loaded in this place. How can IK know this ?

Thank you

Hi Fred,
You are correct. A Waveform is a collection of samples. To be useful they must be mapped to the keyboard... horizontally (Note Limits) and vertically (Velocity Limits). It is the KeyBank that defines those attributes.

But the important thing to know about the KeyBank is this: two mono samples or one stereo sample can be supported at one time.
If more than 2 Mono samples or more than one stereo sample occupies the same ranges, only the most recent added will sound.

Theoretically, you could load 128 stereo samples to a Waveform or 256 Mono samples. In order for them all to be useful, only one Stereo sample can occupy a KeyBank or only two mono samples can occupy the same Key and.

When you add a “New Waveform” you do so right in the Normal Part or Drum Part you are constructing.
The first Loaded will become the default name for the Waveform. (You can rename this if you wish).
KeyBanks do not have names... the Waveform that collects them has the name.

Typical Use Case
For example, the Waveform Name might “Piano Soft Strike”
Each KeyBank might be a different sampled Note of the Soft Strike piano set. Typically, the Sample Name would identify what Key it should be mapped to — in the piano example, you would place the original Pitch as the Center Note. If you had a Soft Strike sample set of every key you would have 88 stereo samples, which would be mapped one per key... each with a Velocity range from 1-60

The second Waveform Name might be “Piano Medium Strike”.
88 Stereo KeyBanks... each with a Velocity range from 61-110

The third Waveform Name mightbe “Piano Hard Strike”.
88 Stereo KeyBanks... each with a Velocity 111-127

Of course, if you are not building a normal instrument where you are mapping across the keyboard and by velocity, you might consider loading the samples to a Drum Part. Each Key in an Init Drum Part is autonomous. Each Key C0 thru C6 can have a Waveform (set of samples)

In a Drum Part all the samples in a KeyBank share the same Note Limit (Key) but say you load 7 Stereo samples to a single Drum Key, in order for each to sound you would need to give each its own unique Velocity range. Remember- only one stereo sample can sound from a KeyBank at a time. You could stack 127 samples on a single Key... as long as each had its own Velocity they could all sound when their velocity is recalled.

Now you wouldn’t do this... nor would you place a different sample on every Key C-2 thru G8 of a Normal instrument. How you actually map samples to KeyBanks is some where in between.

Because the KeyBank names are not used, when you are loading samples it is a good practice to tap NEW WAVEFORM
Once on the Waveform Edit screen... use the “Add Keybank” shortcut box to increment to the next KeyBank number. It is a good practice to load samples from Low to High or vice versa so that putting them in place is easy.

Posted : 24/01/2021 3:50 am
 Fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you so much, Bad Mister, for this comprehensive answer. And thank you Jason, too.

Posted : 24/01/2021 9:29 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us