Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage USB Audio In Volume Control like MoDX?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is there any way to control the USB audio volume via a physical knob in the Montage like the MoDX? I've got Wav files of all the songs my band performs on a USB stick - on montage I can adjust the volume of the Wav file playing from the USB stick independently of the master volume. I though I saw somewhre there was some button combo you could press to adjust the USB volume. Thanks!

Posted : 11/05/2023 8:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There was a shortcut added to the audio flow diagrams where you could touch the volume "knob" on the screen and the GUI would wormhole to the right screen for adjusting the Audio.

I don't think that's what you're looking for, though.

Digging back in the archives, I don't think there has been any feature added that changes what is said in these discussions:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/is-it-possible-to-assign-usb-volume-to-foot-controller

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/suggestion-usb-volume-connected-with-panel-potentiometer

Posted : 12/05/2023 4:50 am
Member Admin

What's the bet a Rhythm button and this knob get added to a Montage+ model?

Posted : 12/05/2023 9:50 am
Bad Mister

[quotePost id=121740]Is there any way to control the USB audio volume via a physical knob in the Montage like the MoDX? I've got Wav files of all the songs my band performs on a USB stick - on montage I can adjust the volume of the Wav file playing from the USB stick independently of the master volume. I thought I saw somewhre there was some button combo you could press to adjust the USB volume. Thanks![/quotePost]I think you are mixing up the two different Audio functions…

The USB AUDIO Volume is accessible and storable per Performance.

From the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen:
Press [EDIT] > [COMMON]
Touch “USB Audio” in the first column
You can set the USB AUDIO Volume so that it works with each of your Performances, as you require.

This USB Audio Volume is signal coming into the MONTAGE via the USB “To Host” port, like from a DAW (it is not from the USB “To Device” port/USB stick .wav file playback!).
The knob on the MODX is not the Volume to playback the Performance Recorder Audio (USB stick Audio)… it is the USB Volume to monitor audio coming from a DAW or “host”.

The USB stick audio File playback feature can be set as follows:
From the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen:
Touch “Play/Rec” > “Audio”
Playback Volume can be set 0-255
Typically this is set to maximum, 255 and then you can adjust the current synth Performance to match, as required. Here’s how:

You can, from this “Play/Rec” > “Audio” screen, link the USB stick’s audio playback to a LIVE SET. The logo will identify it as “Audio”. Creating the Live Set link from the “Play/Rec” > “Audio” screen will also link the currently active Performance to the Audio file!
Then you can “Edit” the current Performance’s Volume within this Live Set using the Live Set Volume offset (0-127).

Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/05/2023 10:43 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes Bad Mister, I was getting the two mixed up. I'm practicing and performing with Camelot now, and I'm switchnig from using a single MoDX8 to a Kurzweil PC4 and Montage 6. The tracks I practice with now are on the iPad, and on the MoDX I could control the volume of the USB audio directly with a physical knob on the MoDX8 but don't have that knob on the Montage. I thought I had read before there was a shortcut available for using a knob to adjust the USB in volume on the Montage - but apparently that's not the case. Is there a shortcut to go straight to the "Audio" screen to set playback volume? Thanks for your help!

Posted : 14/05/2023 8:11 pm
Prominent Member

Is there a shortcut to go straight to the "Audio" screen to set playback volume? T

Is there a reason you don't want to use a Live Set entry to do that as Bad Mister suggested in the last paragraph of his reply?

You can, from this “Play/Rec” > “Audio” screen, link the USB stick’s audio playback to a LIVE SET. The logo will identify it as “Audio”. Creating the Live Set link from the “Play/Rec” > “Audio” screen will also link the currently active Performance to the Audio file!
Then you can “Edit” the current Performance’s Volume within this Live Set using the Live Set Volume offset (0-127).

That should do what you are asking for. Then select that Live Set entry to load the performance and associated parameters rather than selecting the performance directly.

Try that and post back with any questions/issues.

Posted : 14/05/2023 9:27 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=121774]

Is there a reason you don't want to use a Live Set entry to do that as Bad Mister suggested in the last paragraph of his reply?

Yes. because I'm really trying to control USB audio input volume, not the USB wave file playback. It turns out that the Camelot application I'm using that controls the montage and plays back the practice wave tracks has a volume control for the wave playback that can be set for each song set up in the application. That's going to be the easiest way to address the volume issue. But thank you and everyone for the advice.:)

Posted : 15/05/2023 1:34 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us