Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Montage user parts

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

So, i understand that the "voices" are now called "parts". i watched the demos and looked at the specs but i have not seen user parts.
are there any blank user parts on the Montage? how many? can you make parts from scratch with user samples?

Posted : 12/02/2016 9:12 pm

I'm still fuzzy, but what I keep reading is there are no Part banks either user or preset. there are only Performance banks. I still don't know if there are preset (can't edit) performance banks plus user performance banks, or how many user performances can be saved. I've read 1900+, not sure what that means.

I am guessing some performances might only include one Part, but I'm waiting to see and read more ... If I want to get the Bosendorf Piano ... ... ? my fuzzy envision is I would have Performances saved that are only a single Part (a Voice in disguise), and other Performances I create for specific songs that have multiple Parts - I'm assuming we'll be able to easily copy a Part from one Performance to another.

much to still learn ... I'm still waiting to hear more demos that showcase more bread and butter synth sounds applicable to me, vs the EDM soundscape motion based sounds dominating most demos. I don't use those types of sounds hardly ever. I'm sure there's a market that does though ...

Posted : 12/02/2016 9:37 pm
Topic starter

thank you for your reply. i read that too. 🙂 i'm very curious because i want to make my own "parts" using wave samples that i import. i use that a lot live.
so i'm curious how many samples/multisamples can i make of my own to use with parts/performances/whatever. i read somewhere that montage can "hold up to 8 user libraries" and that sounds kinda weird. i mean, on Motif XS i can make hundreds of "libraries" until i consume the RAM.

Posted : 12/02/2016 9:44 pm

I thought BadMister said somewhere you could import a sample and create your own wav. I'll expect you can create lots of them if you don't fill up your ROM with those libraries lol.

Posted : 12/02/2016 11:27 pm
Topic starter

i'd like BadMister to reply. because this is a crucial feature for me. but i,m skeptic since you don't have an "integrated sampling"/manager feature like the motif series.:)

Posted : 12/02/2016 11:45 pm
Bad Mister

I can shed some light on this, hopefully, without confusing you more. What you understand as a "Voice" in the Motif, would exist in a Single Part Performance in Montage. One slot filled, 15 slots empty. It is that simple and that complex.

All Performances are User - same as in the Motif. This means you can change them as you desire and store them to the same or a different location. That is up to you.
You can create new AWM2 PARTs building them up from the Waveform, 8 Waveforms per PART; the source of the Waveform could be a Preset, a User Waveform, an imported .wav, including Waveforms from any installed Libraries. The Part parameters will be very familiar to any Motif user as it very much resembles what you'd expect to see in Voice Edit mode. You have all the parameters that you'd expect to find (and some new ones!).

You create PARTS as you need them. You begin with a SINGLE PART and you build from there. If you want to create an incredibly detailed PERFORMANCE (Multi Part Performance) you can.

A PERFORMANCE, here by definition, has 16 PARTS.... this is where all 16 slots are occupied.
A PERFORMANCE can have 1 PART... this is what a Motif VOICE looks like in Montage: 1 slot occupied 15 slots open.
You can play as many as 8 PARTS simultaneously. 8 Parts can be under what is called "KEYBOARD CONTROL".
In a situation where you are controlling Parts 1-8 from the keyboard, the other PARTS are available for external control.

You can use each PART as a separate instrument and have as many as 8 different instruments in your (Keyboard Control) Performance or a PART can be used as a building block in a very detailed instrument, constructed from multiple Parts. These you design and customize yourself.

You can build a PART from scratch... You can import wavs, map them to KeyBanks (set Note Range, Velocity Range), etc., etc. There is no sampler but you construct a Waveform by importing samples, creating the Note Ranges, the Velocity Ranges, etc.

the exact number of Total Samples and KeyBanks is unknown to me at this point. I'm sure there are theoretical maximums, and those maybe spelled out in the Reference Manual - or when some one decides to figure that out.

Posted : 13/02/2016 12:56 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

You can play as many as 8 PARTS simultaneously. 8 Parts can be under what is called "KEYBOARD CONTROL".
In a situation where you are controlling Parts 1-8 from the keyboard, the other PARTS are available for external control.

Hi Phill.
If you set a 9th part in a performance it will not "sound" on the montage Keyboard if i understand fine ?

Does it mean that the 8 others part available for external control can be used only by activated the "master" function in utility and select for each of this 8 zones (if need 8 zones of course) midi channels others than global channel for example if i want to play them from the XF8 (i plane to take a montage6 or 7) ?

Thanks, Joël

Posted : 13/02/2016 2:14 pm
 Jan

Bad Mister wrote:
You can build a PART from scratch... You can import wavs, map them to KeyBanks (set Note Range, Velocity Range), etc., etc. There is no sampler but you construct a Waveform by importing samples, creating the Note Ranges, the Velocity Ranges, etc.

Oh wait, so there *IS* a possibility to create custom waveforms inside the Montage after all? That's great news! I thought we had to rely on the 3rd party Melas Waveform Editor to get the job done. Excellent.

Posted : 13/02/2016 3:28 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

the exact number of Total Samples and KeyBanks is unknown to me at this point. I'm sure there are theoretical maximums, and those maybe spelled out in the Reference Manual - or when some one decides to figure that out.

thank you Bad Mister! so you can make many user Key Banks with user samples, right?
2 more questions:

1. can i have 16 parts of AWM2 playing at once without SSS? or 8 AWM2 and 8 FM?
2. how fast is the SSS switching? instant?

thank you!

Posted : 14/02/2016 11:42 pm
 Jan

Yes, you can have 16 AMW2 parts playing at once. Or 16 FM-X for that matter. Any combination of AWM2 and FM is possible, as long as the total part count is 16.

Posted : 14/02/2016 11:45 pm
Topic starter

so, does it have a keybank editor? no one seems to explain this 🙂

Posted : 15/02/2016 12:23 am
david
Reputable Member

You can not use the SSS with more than 8 parts because it stops functioning. Does that mean that it cuts all sounds off abruptly or that it continues to sound 8 parts and drops out any additional parts such as 9 thru 16?

Posted : 15/02/2016 2:12 am
Bad Mister

Does that mean that it cuts all sounds off abruptly or that it continues to sound 8 parts and drops out any additional parts such as 9 thru 16?

Neither.

Posted : 15/02/2016 2:16 am
david
Reputable Member

Thanks BM but I'm left hanging here. Then what happens to the SSS feature with 10 parts playing in a performance and you switch to another performance?

Posted : 15/02/2016 3:29 am
Bad Mister

david, you are never playing 10 Parts in a Performance. So the question is moot.
You can have 8 Parts under "Keyboard Control" at a time, so asking what happens when you have 10 is a meaningless question. Don't want to leave you hanging. You are trying to make this unnecessarily complex.

Posted : 15/02/2016 5:41 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us