Notifications
Clear all

Montage user parts

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member

Thanks BM but I'm asking because the specs specifically states that the SSS only functions with a maximum of 8 parts in a performance. Therefore by deductive reasoning they are inferring that you can indeed have more than 8 parts playing (perhaps not all under keyboard control but more than 8 playing) else they would have no reason to make that comment accented by an asterisk. I tried to attach that comment herein.

Attached files

Posted : 16/02/2016 12:28 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, but "playing" to me meant actually playing. If you are sending in 16 Parts from a DAW Sequencer, it is highly recommended that you don't attempt to switch to another 16 Part setup while that is happening, it will not be seamless... But why on earth would you do that mid playback?

Posted : 16/02/2016 3:52 am
david
Reputable Member

Thanks BM. I just wanted to get some insight concerning their comment. In a studio setting while recording for example you would not need to switch a performance midstream. I suppose theoretically in a performance you could have DAW or motion sequence etc. on parts 9 & 10 while you play along on parts 1 thru 8 and then want to switch but there's probably not likely a need to do it seamlessly without a natural break. When more than 8 parts are established in a performance does the player still have keyboard control over the first 8 parts or does the mode of control totally change? Just curious. Thanks

Posted : 16/02/2016 4:06 pm
Bad Mister

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Posted : 17/02/2016 1:00 pm
david
Reputable Member

Me neither. I think the question is whether I can have simultaneous keyboard control over parts 1 thru 8 and also have DAW/Arps/MS controlling parts 9 thru 16? Or is it one or the other but not both?

Posted : 17/02/2016 4:38 pm

Bad Mister wrote:

I can shed some light on this, hopefully, without confusing you more. What you understand as a "Voice" in the Motif, would exist in a Single Part Performance in Montage. One slot filled, 15 slots empty. It is that simple and that complex.

All Performances are User - same as in the Motif. This means you can change them as you desire and store them to the same or a different location. That is up to you.
You can create new AWM2 PARTs building them up from the Waveform, 8 Waveforms per PART; the source of the Waveform could be a Preset, a User Waveform, an imported .wav, including Waveforms from any installed Libraries. The Part parameters will be very familiar to any Motif user as it very much resembles what you'd expect to see in Voice Edit mode. You have all the parameters that you'd expect to find (and some new ones!).

You create PARTS as you need them. You begin with a SINGLE PART and you build from there. If you want to create an incredibly detailed PERFORMANCE (Multi Part Performance) you can.

A PERFORMANCE, here by definition, has 16 PARTS.... this is where all 16 slots are occupied.
A PERFORMANCE can have 1 PART... this is what a Motif VOICE looks like in Montage: 1 slot occupied 15 slots open.
You can play as many as 8 PARTS simultaneously. 8 Parts can be under what is called "KEYBOARD CONTROL".
In a situation where you are controlling Parts 1-8 from the keyboard, the other PARTS are available for external control.

You can use each PART as a separate instrument and have as many as 8 different instruments in your (Keyboard Control) Performance or a PART can be used as a building block in a very detailed instrument, constructed from multiple Parts. These you design and customize yourself.

You can build a PART from scratch... You can import wavs, map them to KeyBanks (set Note Range, Velocity Range), etc., etc. There is no sampler but you construct a Waveform by importing samples, creating the Note Ranges, the Velocity Ranges, etc.

the exact number of Total Samples and KeyBanks is unknown to me at this point. I'm sure there are theoretical maximums, and those maybe spelled out in the Reference Manual - or when some one decides to figure that out.

I know this is old,but it was what i needed to know. Not difficultat all, you just gotta know midi. Thanks

Posted : 12/07/2017 3:34 pm
Bad Mister

Yep. But you'd be surprised - The M in MIDI stands to mystery for many 🙂

Posted : 13/07/2017 4:10 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us