MONTAGE White and OS v3.0 update.

28 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
Michele

A mountain gave birth to a mouse...:(

Posted : 22/09/2019 7:29 pm
Bad Mister

Case in point is FDSP as found on the EX5 and missing in action ever since. Why develop something that sounds so great and then never build on it?

Not true... it’s been hiding in plain sight, apparently.

It’s a short read but on-point:
Piano-like Objects

Posted : 22/09/2019 8:10 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Is there any information on when OS 3.0 will be released?

Posted : 22/09/2019 8:44 pm

Case in point is FDSP as found on the EX5 and missing in action ever since. Why develop something that sounds so great and then never build on it?

Not true... it’s been hiding in plain sight, apparently.

It’s a short read but on-point:
Piano-like Objects

I concede that the piano model has been reintroduced recently, but that was only one of quite a few powerful processing models that made the EX5 very powerful (and still one of the best AWM2 engines to date). Of course I still have an EX5R, so the power of the EX5 exists in my studio.

Posted : 22/09/2019 9:23 pm
 Jan
Eminent Member

Thank you Yamaha!

Montage has so much to offer. In my opinion the best synthesizer currently available, remains keeping on top.
And a great secundary deal: getting free updates every year.
After more then three years playing it for hours a day, I still only have scratched the surface of the possibilities.
This one gets me studying in stead of playing. But it will be worth it.

Posted : 23/09/2019 10:07 am
 Beji

what is the lowest firmware version that 3.0 can be updated from? can it be upgraded from the original firmware version directly? or do I need to update to something in between and then upgrade to 3.0? any idea?
thanks in advance,

Posted : 25/09/2019 2:31 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Version -0.00

You can upgrade from any version. There's not going to be anything you can do between the version you have and the latest that's going to help.

There are older versions where the MIDI addressing was different - and between the "old" and "new" transition - translating between "old" and "new" got goofed. I'm not sure if the latest firmware does a better job of translating the older firmware's Performances (with respect to MSB/LSB/PC addresses primarily) better. Hopefully that's been polished.

If your firmware cannot save backup files (X7A) - then make sure you backup the instrument manually. Save off the user content (X7U). Save off the libraries (X7L) in order. You need to load them back in the original order. You can switch to any performance in the library and show the "Property" page (from the HOME screen) to tell, by the MSB/LSB which library slot that particular selection is residing in. You'll also want to save off any songs you have stored if those are used. And ...

Hopefully your firmware is new enough. If not, there's probably a good post here already to point to (someone will do it) which will walk through what to do to save your data from getting lost (manual backup).

Posted : 25/09/2019 5:48 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

@LFO drifters

The new extended LFO doesn't help drift. To my knowledge, the range that's been extended is the upper range. Drifting could always be done with the old LFO if you set the speed slow (which the extended=OFF LFO can do) and set the waveform to go up and down in the pattern of your choice. You could target pitch and amplitude and the filter and drift these around.

The extended LFO is, as one usage, to get to the effects that can happen at the intersection between slow (non-audible frequency) and fast (audible frequency range - where the modulation with pitch as the destination will alter the pitch of the fundamental instead of just making it go up and down). And there are interesting "noises" that happen between these ranges as you modulate the modulator (modulate the LFO speed from slow to fast). Also you can leave the LFO alone to modulate faster now and create new synthesized tones as products of the higher modulation speeds. Or just different types of effects as you, with extended LFO, can now more quickly swing amplitude or the filter.

Drift is just always something that's in the slow range - the "old" range of the LFO.

Mostly what's new around this department are new filters that fit the "genre" better - not the extended LFO (at least in associating "drift" as what you hear as "new" ).

Posted : 25/09/2019 5:57 am
Stefan

@LFO drifters

The new extended LFO doesn't help drift. To my knowledge, the range that's been extended is the upper range.

From Dom’s videos I assume you are wrong. He explicitly mentions that the LFO can go slower and he explicitly mentions drift. The new polysynth performance he mentions had this effect.

Posted : 25/09/2019 7:24 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

I never wanted a sequencer because I thought it´s as outdated as my old 8 track recorder and that DAWs are much easier to use. And now I am so happy with this sequencer because, no, actually, Cubase is only easier to use for editing but not for recording the basic song. So many times did I give up recording ideas because there was something not working in Cubase and the search for the settings took away my inspiration. Now this pattern sequencer is much easier! I can now create the base of an entire song on the Montage and elaborate and mix in Cubase. So much better for me. Thank you Yamaha.

Posted : 25/09/2019 9:19 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe you're right. I've seen more recent videos where it's explicitly stated that range was extended on both ends. There's not an update to the data list in this department or description of the frequency range. I was going by videos at the time and new features document which states the range has been increased which, subject to the laws of ambiguity and inferences, meant to me that it gets faster. Coupled with previous LFO work I've done to simulate drift and didn't run into snags getting slow modulation. But maybe it's slower or just more values in the slow range so when you have slightly offset LFOs, you get better phase "tear".

I'll have to install and measure pitch square waves to really map the frequency range. Not the whole thing - just enough steps to see what a few clicks in the low end look like.

Thanks for having me take a second look.

Posted : 25/09/2019 4:33 pm
 Beji

Version -0.00

You can upgrade from any version. There's not going to be anything you can do between the version you have and the latest that's going to help.
Hopefully your firmware is new enough. If not, there's probably a good post here already to point to (someone will do it) which will walk through what to do to save your data from getting lost (manual backup).

Thank you Jason for your response. Really appreciate it.

Posted : 26/09/2019 1:39 am
Member Admin

Wavefolding!!!!! Yeah

Posted : 26/09/2019 11:13 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us